Drift Iridium digital gauges

Hi guys!

I'm hoping maybe someone can help me complete my project. I have modded the combination meter with the drift iridium gauges...

My problem is the speedsensor signal for the speedometer. At the moment I've spliced the blue/yellow wire going to pin 18 on the back of the combination meter. Unfortunately that doesn't provide a useable VSS signal.

Does anyone on here know where i can get a good VSS signal from? Maybe someone has already installed a digital speedo?

Thanks for any help.

Greets from germany

Last edited:
You may need to fit a pull up resistor across the signal and live feed to the speedo wiring to get the electronic drive to give out a pulse.

Hi and thanks for the reply :)

I thought the sensor in the transmission already supplied an appropriate pulse...maybe the tach itself even provides a pulse? I know my mr2 does this.

frank

Club Member
the pulse may be too weak and need a driver/amp ? my preface tacho signal was too weak to work an aftermarket tacho i had
a lot of cars use the abs sensor eh

The pull up resistor will be in the instrument panel as standard or part of the speedo design as standard. As Frank says you'll need an oscilloscope really, but just putting 12v on the sensor and spinning it won't give you any output of significance without putting the resistor across the 12v feed and signal wire. Try a 5k one.

Ok...so I've researched further. I'm sure you've all heard of the apexi RSM.....? Anyhow...this gizmo has a wiring diagram for the nissan march which tells me to splice the wires for vss, ground and 12v directly at the ecu. As this is a universal gadget also used in mr2 I'm certain the vss signal must be as strong as the mr2 signal ;-).

What about the following....up until now i pulled ground from the chassis close to the instrument panel. But maybe that is the problem, maybe i need to pull ecu ground? Is that realistic?

frank

Club Member
the input sensors tend to have a dedicated earth to the ecu eh, but i think thats only to keep the signal clean tho

The vehicle speed sensor on the facelift never goes to the ECU. It comes from the ignition live, is grounded at the chassis and the signal wire goes straight to the instrument panel.

Ok..so tapped pin 16..still no luck. The speedo only displays 0 kmh or sometimes (no particular event) a 1kmh......

I think I'll try and grab all connections from the ecu :-/ hope it works.

Been there, tried that :) Their customer service/support is atrocious at best. All methods of contact failed miserably; presumably due to the fact they have been bought and sold more than once since starting business.

Ok...got it sorted! Pin 18 (blue/yellow) is correct. The problem was the calibration of the drift gauges which is a bit different to others. Instead of being calibrated to a particular speed they are calibrated to a set distance (1km or 1mi). I originally thought that was only for the odometer but apparently drift has included an internal timer to compute distance per hour when given pulses per distance.

Ok...got it sorted! Pin 18 (blue/yellow) is correct. The problem was the calibration of the drift gauges which is a bit different to others. Instead of being calibrated to a particular speed they are calibrated to a set distance (1km or 1mi). I originally thought that was only for the odometer but apparently drift has included an internal timer to compute distance per hour when given pulses per distance.
Excellent. Glad you sorted it. So how did you calibrate it. Do you drive along after setting the timer?

It's really easy to be honest. You put the gauge in set mode and drive the exact distance of 1km or 1mi (depending on the units you want). During this drive the gauge counts the number of pulses received from the vss. After covering the distance you stop the set mode. The gauge now knows how many pulses equate to 1 unit distance and what distance 1 pulse is. It will then use it's internal timer to count the pulses per second and multiply this with the distance per pulse to give you your speed :)

Here the first pics....the surround needs to be cut back and will be fitted later.

dc6ff2efcda322d25f3bbe08927b9a33.jpg

a466cb867a77919d7b17e695ddba44ea.jpg

The only problem is that the indicators are very slightly hidden behind the speedometer housing but i can live with that :)

Hi, I'm fitting an aftermarket rev clock in my 2002 coilpack micra and I'm having trouble in finding which colour wire is for the RPM signal. Is it the blue and yellow wire that you've mentioned?

It's really easy to be honest. You put the gauge in set mode and drive the exact distance of 1km or 1mi (depending on the units you want). During this drive the gauge counts the number of pulses received from the vss. After covering the distance you stop the set mode. The gauge now knows how many pulses equate to 1 unit distance and what distance 1 pulse is. It will then use it's internal timer to count the pulses per second and multiply this with the distance per pulse to give you your speed :)
Hi
is this for the drift gauge im have problems calibrating mine

Last edited: