Door locks etc

O

onlyamicra?

My 1994 LX has a couple of problems, i.e. the key will not turn in the driver's door lock and the internal release levers will not open the boot or the filler flap.

Q1. Are the driver's and passenger door locks interchangeable?

Q2. Is the non-operating release levers a common problem?

Thanks.

R

RIK

not sure bout Q1

but the boot/filler cap release is pretty common ,the cable either snaps stretches,or the plastic hadle can break,,simple to fix,but i have never done one :)

C

chie

a close source informs me they are interchangable
and to question 2. get some one to pull it whilst the boot is open for you to stand by it see if it operates at all. that way you can tell if it is connected

chie

R

ricardo_swarez

i have changed my locks over, it can be done and is realy easy--
take off the door card
then theres a clip that holds the lock on
remove this clip with pliers
there is an arm that connects to the mechanism that controls the lock this arm has to be swapped with the other locks arm, so when you turn the lock, the connecting arm moves in the right direction
just take the parts off but dont mix them, i think a circlip holds them on
then just swap the connecting arm over, and put the lock back on the car using the clips, then its done,

you may want to go to a scrap yard tho, get a lock and key and then you can open and lock both doors from the outside,. the boot locks cant be swapped with your door ones

OP
OP
O

onlyamicra?

Thanks Ricardo - that advice is just what I was looking for. I was quoted £40 + VAT by a locksmith just to look at the u/s lock.

Thank you Chie - good advice which I'll follow as soon as it stops raining!

Thanks also to RIK - at least I know my Micra is no different to others!

R

ricardo_swarez

your welcome mate, 40quid just to look at it is sick, its a 20minute job realy, plus you could get 2 locks from a scrap yard for 10quid if you wanted both locks to be working on the same key

OP
OP
O

onlyamicra?

Lock repair

I removed the drivers door lock and took it to a locksmith who was able to adjust the lock tumblers so that the ignition key works in that lock as well as the passenger door lock. This he did for £15 - which was well worth it.