Don't you just love Traffic Police!

QuiggyWoo

Club Member (Trial)
Well this morning I decided it would be a good idea too be pulled over by the wonderful :devil: London Traffic Police. :devil: I pulled into a check point where a very old Police officer proceeded to check my insurance, license mot and tax. All were fine until he noticed a little crack in my window screen... (See attachment) He then walked around the car and pointed out a just illegal tyre and an indicator that flashed too fast? BTW I'm aware that indicators flash fast when a bulb had gone but all six lights work fine and they all flash at the same frigging speed!

Anyway. Drove down to my local tyre shop and purchased a budget tyre for #30.00 Not the best in the world but it has thread. I am ignoring the indicator as I can't see a problem with it but the windscreen is proving to me an issue.

My Autoglass quoted 275.00. How easy is it to replace a windscreen. Haynes says that I should not do it.

Well that's auto glass for a start. DONT GO NEAR THEM they have artificially inflated prices because they are usually paid for by insurance. (fine if you have window cover) get yellow pages and phone about. You should get it including a new rubber strip (or it will leak) for around £120.

the window should be bonded in and is responsible for nearly 60% of the structural integrity of the car. especialy in a roll over.

never attempt to fit a windscreen yourself unless you work for a "auto-windscreens" type place.

theres usually guys who work for their own business undercutting the like of autoglass.

im only 3rd party on the insurance so i didnt have windscreen cover

got a brand new one fitted for £100:)

the window should be bonded in and is responsible for nearly 60% of the structural integrity of the car. especialy in a roll over.

never attempt to fit a windscreen yourself unless you work for a "auto-windscreens" type place.

Antony this is not the case at all, sounds like you have copied that from somewhere. The K10 is held in by rubber as has already been said, and offers no (or very little) extra strengh to the car.

As ed said, the newer cars like the k11's windscreen are bonded in although how much of the strctual intergrity its responsable for isnt something i can bothered to discuss. Older vehicles tend to be just held in by a rubber, can be done by yourself.........just not recomended.

Back