does micra k11 have a "Throttle Valve Switch"

About to try to set my timing this weekend, don't have a nissan consult so I'm going to attempt it with a timing light

Says in haynes to unplug the TPS (throttle position sensor) but says online to unplug the "throttle valve switch"

I know the idea is to keep the timing marks from jumping around by setting certain values in the ECU to stay the same, but I don't know what to unplug

Also read you can short out the diagnostic plug to put it in diagnostic mode, the one where if the engine was off it would flash codes at you, but if the engine is on it locks the timing?

Which of these should I do?

the ecu uses spark timing to control the idle in certain conditions, so you have to lock the ecu in base timing mode before using a timing light, and those haynes instructions is the method i used,
if you get the £17 consult lead and freeware you can see what the ecu is doing with the ign timing on a live feed

the ecu uses spark timing to control the idle in certain conditions, so you have to lock the ecu in base timing mode before using a timing light, and those haynes instructions is the method i used,
if you get the £17 consult lead and freeware you can see what the ecu is doing with the ign timing on a live feed
Cheers for the quick reply

I've had a quick re-read of haynes and I think I've got it sorted, it says 600 rpm within 50 either side, with the plug removed

I have a pretty good feel for where the rpm's are, when it's fully warmed up now I have to keep the lights on or it stalls, I think because when I changed the distributor I got it ever so slightly wrong. If I can get it warm enough to get to that stage and turn everything off with the tps unplugged I should be a little short of 600rpm hopefully... maybe 450 or 500... turn the timing slightly as if I was setting the base for the first time, see if it holds idle, and if it does that should be 600 or thereabouts and then I can adjust it more accurately

If anything goes wrong with that idea I'll have to buy a tachyometer or a consult to get it from the ECU.

you may need to adjust the black plastic allenkey screw when you remove the tps, and the consult lead is really useful

Back