Do I loose my warranty if service is carried by non Nissan Dealer

My car is due for its 1st 12000 service. Dealers are quoting me around £200 just for a P1 service (oil and filter change) which is extortionate. Would I jeopardise my warranty if I get the service done privately by a friend who is a full time tutor in a college teaching motor mechanics?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I have a feeling it does have to be done by Nissan, however it might be easier to just ask them and double check.

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
try another nissan dealer i now our nissan service prices were cheaper than some other local nissans... its closed down now maybe the cheaper prices didnt help lol...

Unfortunately that is what the dealers charge. I doubt you would get it cheaper at another franchise.

However, What Car say:

• Shop around – costs even vary between franchised dealers, so don’t just return to the one where you bought your car.
You can now get your car serviced at a non-franchised garage without invalidating your warranty, so call local workshops for prices too.
• If you do go to an independent garage, ensure it is VAT-registered and make sure the parts and fluids used are genuine manufacturer products. Get receipts and part serial numbers to prove this.
• Always stick to your car’s servicing schedule and ensure that the servicing book is stamped.
• Always read your warranty document thoroughly before booking your car in for servicing.
• If your car needs a repair or some warranty work carried out, however, this must be done at a franchised dealer in order to keep your warranty intact.

The law changed last year. I think you need to find a Nissan Approved Garage or something. All the legal information you need should be available in the small print of your warranty if u have the time to go through it.

If you go with an independent I would be interested to hear the difference in costs. I had my P1 done at the dealer last month for just over £200 but i use them because they are efficient and their customer service is really good:eek:

Good Luck!

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
you need nissan parts and proof (invoice) that you used nissan parts, if you look in the warranty book you will find the service sheets we technicans service nissans by,

also if your part of your car's vin number is k12u2, you need a m1 service not a p1

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
You should also note, for when you come to sell the car, having main dealer stamps on your service history, will look more appealing to a buyer.

when looking at a car i dont think anyone checks for stamps,they see the reciepts and thats it

no offence to nissan people on here but most services/checks are done bu ythe new kid or tranies and compared to alot of garages i know even my owns skills they dont know much.

even the oil nissan use didnt stay in my car longer than the ride home.first thing i did was drop it out and put some qood quality oil in

when looking at a car i dont think anyone checks for stamps,they see the reciepts and thats it

no offence to nissan people on here but most services/checks are done bu ythe new kid or tranies and compared to alot of garages i know even my owns skills they dont know much.

even the oil nissan use didnt stay in my car longer than the ride home.first thing i did was drop it out and put some qood quality oil in

Products are good its just there skill and expertise doesnt normally og much further that what theyve been taught. Plus if you have a problem with your engine and they prove that you didnt use there oil they refuse to cover your warranty (they reserve the right but ill let you work out the risk).

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
cods whollop, take it to a small vat registered garage and use genuine nissan parts and keep all invoices with you.

Maybe to you, but most people when looking at a second hand car, will look to see if the car has been serviced regularly and seeing main dealer stamps will look better to that person.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i aswell beleive that you cant just go by service stamps, weather a cars got a fsh doesnt mean anything as the engine could be no better than a car with no service history thats been serviced by someone thats competant knowing when things need changing,

i agree with s racing on the note that some garages get the new kids or under trained kids to do services because all the good trained know what they are doing people are normally full of diagnosing jobs or fixing the come backs that the service boys have made.

if you go to nissan to get a service done, you could try and ask for a hiteq to service your car (hiteq is 2nd highest trained and 1st place training is hard to get as you have to be invited by nissan)

you could also ask to watch the car being serviced like a customer with a 350z twin turbo did at my place he wanted highest trained tech and to watch at same time.

thats what my friend does with his ctr,watches the do it then changers the oil when he gets home himself

i dont mean the parts arent good but the oil most dealers use isnt the best quality.i know its a micra but its still an engine at abit of millers is the best i can get then thats what will be going in it

im not fussed about my car breaking tbh,i will fix it myself with better parts..if i get a rod through the block,new engine with new rods and pistons etc.over heat new rad and oil cooler etc

its a car not a new born baby,give it some stick

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
dealer out of the pump engine oil is basically as good as donkey cum,

nissan's bottled oil and vauxhall bottled oil are alot better, i only use them in any engine oil change at home, personnally i dont see the point in spending alot of money on oil like castrol and mobil 1 as there just isnt any difference between them only time i'd spend good money on oil is if it's for a track/race car

some customer with a blue skyline road/ track car got us to put in some oil he supplied and no word of a lie it smelt 100% of bubble gum, the oil came in 1 litre metal tins and was very expensive

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
i am a nissan trained technician, worked at a maindealer for about 4 years, and regardless of car or engine, the only oil we used was texaco 10/40 o_O. the parts manager was a penny pincher and only used cheap oil. and charged a bomb for it. i personally wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my car!!!

K10Daz

RIP Colin McRae 1968-2007
At our dealership we use Shell 10w40 for most of our services, but the 182, 197 an megane sports etc, all get the gold stuff!

I also heard that if you get a certified mechanic to do your service and use genuine parts, the warranty is still valid if he signs your book.

T

The Mad Hatter

Needs to be a VAT registered garage using Nissan parts for the warranty to remain valid.

Nissan garages don't seem very clued up with regards to the oil spec the Micra, and in particular, the 160SR needs. Hence why I provided my own when I took it in for a service. I can get it cheap from work anyway which matches and in some areas exceeds the Nissan spec.

In Masterfit though mineral oil is used in early Vectra C's which need fully synth for the drain intervals! :|

S

Salty

I knew someone who took their own oil in when they had the car serviced. Apparently, they bought top quality oil for half the cost that the dealer charged for their oil, put it in the boot, and informed the service dept. that they had brought their own oil.

As long as the oil matches (or exceeds) the recommended oil, you could always try that! I don't know whether you could take your own oil filter, but that would also save money.

You can use any garage though (as long as it is VAT registered and uses genuine or approved OEM parts, so I'm not using a Franchised Dealer, but rather a friend who works for another garage is taking mine in to be done. At least I know who is working on my car!