Dizzy packs to Coil Packs

Hiya,
I have a 2000 W reg Micra (As suggested by my profile picture lol) and I fancy converting my dizzy spark packs to coil packs. Is this possible and is there any problems I might face? Thanks....

Hiya,
I have a 2000 W reg Micra (As suggested by my profile picture lol) and I fancy converting my dizzy spark packs to coil packs. Is this possible and is there any problems I might face? Thanks....

Possible but cost benefit analysis not worth it. Trade it in for a more modern vehicle would be a lot less heartache & hassle? ;)

I think it starts with the gearbox. You need a transmission that was fitted to an engine with the coil packs, as there is a crankshaft sensor on it that reads from the flywheel. I agree with @plmval, you will probably get away cheaper and without so many problems if you go for a newer one.

Hi first time post :) My 1996 1.0 has a blown head gasket and I thought the best option was to replace the engine as I am unsure why the gasket has blown (car on loan at the time). The car has a dizzy cap and I have the opportunity to buy an engine with the coil pack but I am concerned about the extra work involved. I am told this engine has a sensor and flywheel but no gearbox and it should just bolt on to the existing box.

Would I have to change the wiring loom or the ecu? Not interested in souping it up yet, I am on a budget and want to make the car available to a first time driver.

Hi first time post :) My 1996 1.0 has a blown head gasket and I thought the best option was to replace the engine as I am unsure why the gasket has blown (car on loan at the time). The car has a dizzy cap and I have the opportunity to buy an engine with the coil pack but I am concerned about the extra work involved. I am told this engine has a sensor and flywheel but no gearbox and it should just bolt on to the existing box.

Would I have to change the wiring loom or the ecu? Not interested in souping it up yet, I am on a budget and want to make the car available to a first time driver.
you would have to swap the head over ian, may as well just do the head gasket instead

Thanks for the response. I would like to know what else is involved if I swap the whole engine (new one has minimal mileage), what else would I have to do to the car by putting a coil pack engine into a car originally fitted with a dizzy cap. Talk above of changing the gearbox but beyond the flywheel the gearbox is the same isn't it? As for changing the loom, is that really needed? Does the ecu need to be changed, could I pick up an ecu and ignition lock for a coil pack car and swap them?

I bought the car new in 96 and it is solid we've looked after the bodywork and I was advised and engine swap may be the best route because we don't know what caused the HG failure and could be in for more woe if we go down that route.

Back