Disc and pad choices

Hello I am wondering if anyone here has changed front discs and pads for a k12. What would you choose and why.
Atm I have searched the following.
Carparts4less.co.UK no great savings over eBay Good branded discs and pads.
Europarts are a little cheaper atm for good branded one's.
EBay I was looking at comline pack that include both pads and discs.most likley lower quality and will not last very long.
Any how I just would like to know you're views,experiences with either brake pads and discs if matching brands for both disc and pads is a must or not.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I went with Apec from TMS, they are good enough for what the micra would need. Price from TMS is good, as is their service with any problems.

Thank you for the helpful reply

The other brands I was looking at are.
Pagid
Borg and Beck
Delphi
And brembo.
Its also hard to guess what has been installed previously.

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I replaced the discs and pads on mine with Mintex ones, but quickly changed the pads to Pagid. The Mintex ones were very hard and initial bite was poor, Pagid have great bite from cold and have never had them fade, despite multiple consecutive brakings from 'illegal' speeds, which have produced a hot brake smell.......

Now that I know its all good. I'm going to go with the Brembo ones as these are about same price and include fittings. Then go get the tyres fitted afterwards.
That will then make everything that needs attention in the near future right again before it actually becomes a problem.

So have had a look to see what info I could find. And is surprising to learn something new that I have not seen before.
I have heard of an impact driver and manual impact driver.
The JIS however until now I do not recall anyone ever mentioning this.

The screw should be little more than hand tight, it only stops the disc moving when the wheel is off. I think some assume that screw singlehandedly holds the disc in place during braking with the amount of force needed to get them off.

I've had a manual impact driver for many years, you do have to hold it in a strange way to make it work right. Then I moved on to power tools and impact drivers are brilliant tools.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Well, my Micra had original torx screws on brake discs. Light tap with hand held hit-with-hammer impact wrench, they came off without problems. After good cleaning reused same screws.

Just checked the new ones are torx as I mentioned before.
Going to get a Manual Impact for now.
Just looking for one with the bit included that will fit.

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Just checked the new ones are torx as I mentioned before.
Going to get a Manual Impact for now.
Just looking for one with the bit included that will fit.
Torx is T40

That's included in the kit I picked.
Still rather surprised at torx being used. As I thought these only came along recently on more modern vehicles.
When looking around. The only other place I've seen one of these is inside the door on the front wing.
I guess I can use the impact tool with a socket adapter for other uses such as nuts n bolts. As I always like to use tools and not just have them standing around like ornaments..

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
That's included in the kit I picked.
Still rather surprised at torx being used. As I thought these only came along recently on more modern vehicles.
When looking around. The only other place I've seen one of these is inside the door on the front wing.
I guess I can use the impact tool with a socket adapter for other uses such as nuts n bolts. As I always like to use tools and not just have them standing around like ornaments..

My 1995 Chevy has torx screws fitted to dishes on factory...

Torx have been used for over 20 years on many cars.

If using impact bits then make sure they are not you cheap generic bits as they wil be destroyed. Impact bits and sockets are normally black since they are made of specially hardened steel. And dont leave them out int he rain, they will rust badly.

Well I got this set here. As I figured if I am to get one it might as well be a good brand. With decent bits that should not break on first use. I'm very familiar with these bits breaking being a diy enthusiast. And have went through a lot of bits for the drill.
Edit :-
Arrived today and the bits I bought it for not included also its am tech looks same just doesn't have the torq bits
Screenshot_2019-10-21-15-37-53_1.jpeg

Last edited: