Directline's awful.

Next year I will have my 2nd NCB as a name driver. But they won't insure me with anything fun. No fiat uno turbo.. no 1.6 mr2.. no 1.8 celica.. Not even when I'm 20 and have 2NCB. None of these cars are available to me based on insurance.

Maybe I should just drive a 1.0 for the rest of my life.

Rant over.

23 with 3yrs NCB - Swift £670 fully comp on the Primera GT (Insurance Group 14)
Been quoted £700 Fully Comp on a MKII Orion (group 11 i think) with Turbo, Suspension, Alloys and exhaust declared.

Insurance is a funny old game!!!

Ouch!!!!

Basically its just one of those things you have to pay and then all of a sudden it'll go down.

The only way to build up your NCB is by forking out ridiculous amounts for car insurance!!!

alots down to where in the country you live, and weather the cars garaged, on a drive or left on the road..

older cars are also usually relatively more expensive as the factory anti-theft systems (if fitted) arent as good as modern cars..

The main reason why you shouldnt go on a parents insurance for the first couple of years insurance...

Im 19, 1 years no claims and im insuring a Almera GTI for £850

Well when i got my insurance i was 18 with 0 ncb..on a Vauxhall Nova 1.0...£1800 ish (and that was after 2 weeks of trying to find a cheap quote, finaly got them down to £1500ish) but if i was to insure my dad on the car (10+ ncb) it went down to £480 lol...MADNESS! lol..dont yah just hate stereotypes! lol

direct line are #### for young drivers. I got insured with an almera GTI when I was 21 for 900 TPFP...

Try these insurance search engines. Tbh I always found admiral to be quite competitive but they probably are better ones.

you'll probably have to be over 25 to insure a half decent car for a respectable price

Direct line are absolute #######s really.

Basically, I've done a lot of reading on the small print on their site:

They will not insure:
ANY Modifications
Cars they deem luxury, sporty, or over a certain value
and Vans
To anyone under 25

And, they're named driver NCB only applies to direct line policy's, and can't be transferred to any other companys.

Not strickly true, capnmchl.

For me, and a few others I know(1.2 Clio, 1.9 205 GTI)

Direct line have proved the cheapers, atleast £400 under the comparison sites. Also, I got a quote for a mate at work, with her Primera GT, which when you look at it, is heavily modifyed, and quite a bit of engine work, they wondnd quote me on the site, but emailed me asking about it.

So for my they are alright, £1.4k Fully Comp, does the job, £1.6k Fully Comp on the 1.2 Sport Clio

Direct line are absolute #######s really.

Basically, I've done a lot of reading on the small print on their site:

They will not insure:
ANY Modifications
Cars they deem luxury, sporty, or over a certain value
and Vans
To anyone under 25

And, they're named driver NCB only applies to direct line policy's, and can't be transferred to any other companys.

Ive had two years with directline, first year as a named driver, second as a policy holder (so two years ncd built up with them) but when it came to renewal time this year, not only was the renewal quote about £200 more than an online quote as a new customer :suspect:, but it was about £300 more than the best deal i found (with just 1 years ncd!)! When i rang up to say i was not renewing they didnt even try to match it lol.

I'm on it as a named driver at the moment.

I was gutted when I found I couldn't mod my car, and that when my insurance year is up, I have basically nothing to show for it in terms of insurance if I want to move company (which i almost certainly will).

2 years of being ripped off and told that you can't do anything to your car to make it safer, more powerful, more individual....

Sucks man.

Back