Dim/dip unit

C

Ciaran Costelloe

Left-hand headlight high & dip failed, changed bulb, tested bulb, dismantled & tested stalk switch: with a voltmeter across the bulb terminals but no bulb, I get 12V, but this disappears when I plug in bulb. So I reckon it's a broken wire (but copper still touching) or the dim/dip unit, a grey box buried up behind the dash (saw it in the wiring diagram, but I ended up removing the complete dash before I found it). From the wiring diagram, if I remove the unit and connect the terminal connectors 8 to 10 and 1 to 7, I will get a "normal" headlight wiring circuit.

This begs the question: what the **** does the dim/dip unit do? I cannot think of any useful function it might provide.

Ciaran

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
it was required by law on older cars, then abolished not long after. my '90 fiesta had it. basically it just puts your dipped beam on at a low wattage (dim) when you switch to side lights while driving to make the side lights seem brighter. not needed really.

OP
OP
C

Ciaran Costelloe

Thank you very very much, that makes a lot of sense. I will bypass it and I will post back here if the car goes up in flames :)

A replacement unit costs £150 from Nissan, and only ex Holland, so I won't take that option.

Thanks again,

Ciaran