Difference between norma gearbox an ST gearbox

aLLeKs

Club Member (Trial)
Hello,
just one little question, is there any difference between the normal gearbox and the ST one?
Or are they the same?

I believe the ST has a more viscous differential that the regular k10, Also the gear ratios may be different, they are probably interchangeable. i'm sure someone who knows will answer soon :)

Hello,
just one little question, is there any difference between the normal gearbox and the ST one?
Or are they the same?

:laugh::laugh: No, normal K10 60hp max and no torque lol( not really but its n/a ) , st is 108hp and nearly the same fiqure in ft/lb of torque
Gaerbox is about twice th sixe of an ordinary st box ,has a viscous LSD, and the cv joints are twice if not 3 times the size and the shafts are prbably twice the size

takes thicker drives aswell,

What he said

i was told that the st gearbox came from an early nissan bluebird 1.6 fitted with a lsd,,,,is that right,,i think it was ed told me that years ago

i would'nt of throught that nissan would made a one off box just for the st it would be out of something early like a ga...etc

I thought it shared the same gearbox as sunny's of the same year(ish)

Ya cant get inner or outer cv's in a motor factors for st so I wouldn't say it the same. As far as I know the casing for the box is unique to the st and the diff also.

Ya cant get inner or outer cv's in a motor factors for st so I wouldn't say it the same. As far as I know the casing for the box is unique to the st and the diff also.

And also the sunny shaft are like twigs lol:laugh:

I have tried when I got my first st

I think he has got a twin weber ma12 ;)
No Ma10 with twin webers... I should be arround 100hp when I am finished. My biggest problem is the clutch at the moment. It is not gripping anymore.

I think I will use the normal gearbox until it dies and then have a look what is possible. First I will ask a few German companies if they can build me a stronger clutch.
Sachs will be very expensive so I will concentrate on small companies.

Btw. what is it with the RS5F31V gearbox you are talking about? Just change the bellhousing and it will fit a micra? even the driveshafts? or which modifications need to be done

The RS5F31V is a completely different gearbox compared to all others K10 and K11. 2 bellhousings exist, K10 based and K11 based. They both share the same bellhousing bolt patterns with the exception that the K10 based models have smaller mounting holes compared to the K11. There are also some minor differences in the rear engine mounting point on the gearbox casing and also a small difference on the selector fork coupling.

The bellhousings are different internally also due to the larger bearings on the viscous LSD, same for the top casing. The gear pack installed height is also longer on the 31V and cannot be swapped out.

The RS5F31V comes in several forms, (as it was available on more cars than just the K11). The main ones are a close ratio variant alegedly from the March 'R', the rest are more like a standard longer ratio 1.3 boxes with some variations in ratios but mainly longer ratios. You may get lucky but the majority have to be bought over from Japan and by the time you have paid shipping, duty etc etc they are not cheap to aquire......the March 'R' versions, you'd be lucky to get one for under 4 figures landed.

Bottom line, an RS5F31V is an expensive option. I don't know much about the K10 box strength but it maybe a better option to look at modifying a K11 1.0 box perhaps?

A few people here grasstrack K10's who should be able to offer some insights :)

The gearbox from the E15 engine carries the same bell housing line up as the ST but the mounting of the mounts are a bit different,the is also a lsd version that comes in the turbo version of the E15.I measured the drive shafts today and they are the same thickness.This is just by the way.My question is how would I know which model superturbo box I have in my car,is it labelled?

Back