Diamond D3 Tweeter problems

Tom Messy

Ex. Club Member
Hi all, long time no see!

I have a pair of Diamond D3 co-axial speakers in the Micra, and one of the tweeters is playing up. It sounds like there's a loose connection somewhere but I can't find a way in to find out what's wrong - there's just a couple of wires going up to it from the base of the speaker and they seem fine.

This is driving me mad and I really want it to stop as it keeps cutting in and out. The question is, are the tweeters in series or parallel? If I cut the wire to the tweeter (it's annoying me that much!), will the woofer part still work? I'm guessing it would still work...

Or is there a way to get into the tweeter thats not sealed?

Cheers,

Tom

Most co-ax speakers have the mid and tweeter wired in parallel with a small inline filter inbetween the two. They may have been some water ingress which has caused one of the wires to come slightly loose within the mid somewere, personally if they within there warranty take them back otherwise cut your losses and but a cheap replacement.

Also if you do disconnect the tweeter, how will you be replacing it as it will sound bad without a tweeter.

Thanks Mike. They're not in warranty any more I don't think, I've probably had them over a year now. It's got to sound better without a tweeter than with an intermittent, fuzzy one, so I reckon I'll just disconnect it until I can replace it. Eventually I want to get the component versions for the front, and move these ones to where my crappy Alpines are now, next to my QB69's.

Cheers again,
Tom

Back