Definitive Sr20 swap guide?

As above really. I've just picked up my K11, and i'd in the near future like to go to sr20 power. I work for Nissan, so wiring, and carrying out the conversion is no problem. I'll probably be buying a rusty N15 as the base, and will be keeping Nats etc to keep it safe.

Is there a guide to the swap here? I'm fine with the wiring, but does any chassis/mount work need to be done? Driveshafts, any problems getting these in?

If someone can give me some pointers, i'll try and qrite a guide as I go. Oh, and I aim to do this conversion in a weekend......

Welcome Chris :grinning:. If you work for Nissan and really, really know what you're doing - write the guide!

Cheers folks, and thanks for the link Frank.

This is something i'd really like to do in the near future. It'll be on a tight budget, funded mainly by private work I do, but i'd like to get it done soon.

After reading through, it seems I may need custom shafts. I'm currently looking into this. I've seen people cut, sleeve and weld shafts, but how strong this will be, I dont know. Anyone carried out a ga16 swap? It may be simpler than a Sr20 swap. Any blocks/heads/gearboxes inter-changeable bertween CG and GA, or am I stepping into new territory?

I know there's a bloke in South Wales that makes custom shafts for any car and uses a thicker steel than standard. Apparently they are unbreakable and a LOT of rally boys use them especially the 1400 boys with around 170-200BHP

are you in Newcastle upon tyne chris? if so i can sort you out with everything you need info and part wise to do the GA16 or SR20 swap

martin

GA16 swaps been done a few times, much easier than the sr20 by the sounds but not much gains given the increase in weight of the block (so Im told). Go SR20 all the way! :D

Has anyone ever thought of putting a 1500 or 1800 out of an N16 Almera in a Micra then? Now I haven't put any thought at all into this....Was just an idea that popped into my head becuase I have an N16 Almera 1500 as a road car and the engine seems to pull the car pretty well considering how big and heavy these cars are, so in a Micra....would be good I'd think!

Has anyone ever thought of putting a 1500 or 1800 out of an N16 Almera in a Micra then? Now I haven't put any thought at all into this....Was just an idea that popped into my head becuase I have an N16 Almera 1500 as a road car and the engine seems to pull the car pretty well considering how big and heavy these cars are, so in a Micra....would be good I'd think!

the QG is just a GA with a variable inlet cam basicly tho eh (so you would need the ecu and loom to suit)

Frank, do the GA mounts match up with the CG, or will they need adapting at all? Shafts etc ok?

most members weld the GA engine mount to the k11 chassis chris, then you have a choice of cutting into the chassis rail to clear the waterpump pulley, or else moving the g/box over to the n/s and altering the shafts to suit

most members weld the GA engine mount to the k11 chassis chris, then you have a choice of cutting into the chassis rail to clear the waterpump pulley, or else moving the g/box over to the n/s and altering the shafts to suit

Cheers again Frank. Think i'd sooner modify the chassis rail. If I do this, will the shafts be ok, and will I need to play about with joints, or will the outer joints from the CG fit the K11 hubs ok? Sorry for all the questions!

if you bolt the GA to the 1.3/post98 1.0 g/box you dont need to alter anything eh (apart from the chassis lol)
but the c/v,s have a bit of sideways give, if you want to minimise the depth of chassis cut (personally i would shift the g/box mounts about 10 or 20 mm and portopower a small dent into the chassis rail)

Sweet, so just need a GA engine, 1.3/post 98' 1.0 box, then modify the o/s chassis rail, and it'll all bolt together with just the GA o/s top engine mount required to be welded on?

Thanks again.

Cheers. Think i'm going to go GA power, probably find a rusty N15 sri and use that. I'd go SR20, but seems shafts may be a problem. Fine if I was a young Batchelor, but with a yoof on the way in 3 weeks, the funds dont allow. I'm thinking GA16 with a cheap set of bike carbs.

we,ve goe a few 2.0 "abandoned projects" on here chris fwn i think its the lack of clearance at the back of the engine and the sheer physical size/weight of the g/box that is the mission, rather than any shaft problems
an N1 sr16ve grafted to a type 30 g/box would be a weapon imo :cool:

I hear you on the sr16ve! I'll keep my eye out for a rusty sri I think and go from there. Or may just bang a set of bike carbs on the CG engine and have some fun! No idea what power it would run, but would sound good!

Welcome along! Sounds like you have a good base to start with working at Nissan! Maybe worth keeping an eye out for a rusty P11 1.6 too?

Welcome to the club! :)

James.

Think the very very early eGT and 2.0slx didn't use Nats. Think I may try bike carbs on the CG first, there is alot of knowledge out there on them now, and I think a Bare K11 1300 on carbs, Janspeed manifold and exhaust may be quite fun!

Think I may try bike carbs on the CG first, there is alot of knowledge out there on them now, and I think a Bare K11 1300 on carbs, Janspeed manifold and exhaust may be quite fun!

i hear you, sounds good, gsxr 1000 throttle bodies and bigg jets! vroom vroom

just the custom inlet that will need making which may cost alot?

I wouldnt be spending huge monies on the build, so a piece of flat steel, some matching tube, a bad of weld and a lick of paint will suffice!

thanks, but i wonder what fwd gearbox would fitt the sr20? cause i asume there is no spase for the 4wd gearbox the gtir engine comes with, and its not practical ether

If it's a pulsar sr20, it won't fit the fwd gearbox anyway.
The primera/almera gearbox is your best option. That limits you to a n/a sr20 but you can swap out the pulsar internals or upgrade to forged. Then turbo it.

It's not a walk in the park, hence why there are very few about.

Back