De-cating and tunning

R

Robin Cooper

Hi there i now this has been covered a few times but just one or two other questios and just some fews on it would be great,

Well i have had my micra just over a year was looking at selling and getting bigger faster car b ut not now keep9ing it for a couple of years now so looking at modding a bit more, i have all ready got a cat back system (janspeed) and i have fitted a BMC carbon induction kit ( ment for mg zs 180) and looking for more speed and that, one first thnings id looking at de-cating, i was looking at doing it on the cheap and getting an old catr of micra and remove middle heard that done before inculdeing dad has done it, any opensions on that? as well are any the cheap universal de-cats that clamp on any good?

The other thing is about the sound, i with the exhuast and induction kit, it sounds very nice and have had many remarks of freinds and random people about the sound, so how will the de-cat effect that? will it make is sound to loud or to raspy? veiw are very welloce with any other ideas on de-cating and good next stage of tunning/ modding

Cheers rob

Antony

Ex. Club Member
"i have two balls, neither of wich are crystal, so use the search button, this has been covered before"

sorry, but it was a quote i found on a mini forum and had to use it..lol

the de-cat will help produce a deeper throatier sound and will give the rest of the system a "Rasp" at arround 3.5 - 4k rpm.. this is almost like a resonance within the exhaust and does sound very good
sounds very nice indeed.
lol

OP
OP
R

Robin Cooper

Cheers

lol ok cheers, i now it has been covered before just was seeing if had any opeans to sound and idea of old cat,

Cheers

Using an old cat with centre smashed out is the same as decat pipe, does give a big improvement to performance and response also souns great! Firstly i advise you to invest in a performance manifold, its worth the bucks!
Secondly foot long concrete drill bit in a drill are great fun for decating and of course effective! Make sure you also remove the metal gauze that sat around the ceramic, otherwise it could drop and block the pipe.

Finally i suppose i should warn you that it wont pass an MOT without a working cat, dont think its ilegel (never can spell that <<), but obviously if it is your only use it off road so who cares! ;)

OP
OP
R

Robin Cooper

OK thanx alot for that yeh sounds good, will try 2 get that all osrted soon, should be joining the club proply next month finally get first propa pay from work, and i will get it sorted as well, Do you have any idea of what power should be runnin if de-cat manifold, cta back exhaust and cold air induction kit, the other question is that i have seen people putting the 1.6 thortle body and ecu on them, but sore some one saying has 2 not have NATS on car, is that true? is so why?

Cheers Rob

There is a power increase when the cats are gutted, I'm not sure how much as mine hasn't been dynoed, but I would reckon on around 5-8bhp with a cold air induction kit fitted as well, the major problem is the manifold itself, it's very restrictive, I've heard that a full Janspeed gives around an extra 20bhp so that gives you an idea of how restrictive the original manifold is, the sound from a gutted cat is a little louder and a bit 'raspy' if you know what I mean, although in my opinion it's not an unpleasant sound

OP
OP
R

Robin Cooper

ok cheers, i no what you mean, will defo be getting it done, and once added next few bit will get it on a rolling road to see what it is at