De-Cat Exhausts - Illegal?

alexm

Club Member (Trial)
I have used search and stuff and can not seem to find if there has been a thread on this before probally have and not looked welll enough, anyhow... Are De-cats illegal? I have heard rumours about things like if its pre-1993 its not illegal but after that it is? But wonderd if someone with abit of knowledge about this could tell me :). Thanks Alex

there only illegal if they fail the MOT on emmissons...if they pass there legal. you will only get done if the police check your emmissons. witch is quite rare.

I asked last time I had my M.O.T., since I looked on my emiisions test sheet and it said, "non-catalylst test" so he said my car being a 1994, its one of then "certain japanese cars (which is suppost to be imports, but mine is uk built)" its not required. He said I could removed both cats, and as long as it passed the emiisions, its legal to drive

I asked last time I had my M.O.T., since I looked on my emiisions test sheet and it said, "non-catalylst test" so he said my car being a 1994, its one of then "certain japanese cars (which is suppost to be imports, but mine is uk built)" its not required. He said I could removed both cats, and as long as it passed the emiisions, its legal to drive

That's rather odd, since cars registered between 1st August 1992 & 31st July 1995 are subject to a CAT emissions test as part of the MoT with the following requirements;

Idle (450rpm - 1500rpm)
CO <=0.5%

Fast Idle: (2500-3000rpm)
CO <=0.3%, HC <=200ppm, Lambda 0.97 - 1.03.

ALL UK spec Micras should be in the VOSA database. There are however some cases where people get away with non-cat tests, (usually March imports), the VOSA process flow diagram for an MOT test shows the following;

"Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions book?"

If 'NO', the instruction is to Carry out a non CAT test CO <= 3.5% & HC <= 1200ppm.

You must have been lucky ;) How is your car described on your V5/V5C, model etc?

That's rather odd, since cars registered between 1st August 1992 & 31st July 1995 are subject to a CAT emissions test as part of the MoT with the following requirements;

Idle (450rpm - 1500rpm)
CO <=0.5%

Fast Idle: (2500-3000rpm)
CO <=0.3%, HC <=200ppm, Lambda 0.97 - 1.03.

ALL UK spec Micras should be in the VOSA database. There are however some cases where people get away with non-cat tests, (usually March imports), the VOSA process flow diagram for an MOT test shows the following;

"Can you find an exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions book?"

If 'NO', the instruction is to Carry out a non CAT test CO <= 3.5% & HC <= 1200ppm.

You must have been lucky ;) How is your car described on your V5/V5C, model etc?

Yea thats what i thought, I said to the tester, I thought it was pre 1991, he said for imports its 1995, and that sometimes covers uk cars that are similar to the imported model, according to our computer.

I cant find my emiisions sheet from the last test, but my M.O.T. is due on the 12th April so i'll tell you more about that once i get a new one

as for my V5 it says

"Declared new at first registraion
28 02 1994
Nissan
Micra L
3 Door hatchback
private light goods
998cc
petrol
2 axle rigid body
Red"

Mines just passed its MOT with a decat and induction kit on no problem its the 1st cat in the mani thats that issue if thats in good nick it shouldn't be a problem the de-cat is usually just the secondary cat which doesnt really do that much lol

Back