DCI Ticking noise

Hi folks, just purchased a DCI and can hear a noise like a ticking (almost like a tappet noise) coming from the engine compartment when under light throttle at around 1500 rpm, it doesn't seem to matter what gear the car is in and it disappears as the revs build or under harder acceleration. Also it doesn't make the noise when the engine is held at these revs in nuetral. The car seems to run fine otherwise.
Any ideas?

ticking noise

they all have it to certain degree, mine is sometimes really infuriating.
gets better with decent fuel, i never use supermarket stuff anymore, my opinion but i think it gets quieter. apparently it is a combustion noise they are tuned to run very lean on part throttle. had a home visit from nissan engineers to have a listen to mine, they were traveling europe to check ticking dci's.
hope this helps.

Ahhh

Thanks for the info, I was worrying a bit, maybe it's the diesel equivalent of 'pinking' then. Thought it might have been a noisy tappet but then the noise would have been constant or got worse as the revs built. Just come back from living in Spain where most stations have both standard and higher quality diesel at the pumps. I'll have to try and find some better quality diesel or get used to the noise then.

Back