Dci 80 2003 questions

I've had my car for a couple of weeks now, and am generally pleased with it - economy is terrific, and it starts and pulls well through the gears. I have a couple of questions I'd be grateful if anyone could help with.

1. It starts cold/hot easily and pulls fine, with no no smoke, but coughs and jerks on a light throttle around 1500rpm - is that likely to be egr related?

2. The interior light doesn't work, despite replacing the bulb. Research on this site shows its often related to other issues, but everything else electrical works normally. Any suggestions on how I can sort it?

3. The diesel engine sounds very...loud. And rough. And dieselly. This is a Renault engine, and the same engine in other models is usually quite refined. I'm running injector cleaner through it presently, but any reason for such clatter? It's done 85000 miles, not a lot I would feel for a diesel.

Many thanks for any help!

Your first task should be to plug in an OBDII reader and see if there are any fault codes listed....

Ok, well I have a little £4 eBay Bluetooth obd scanner which connects to a free app on my phone (nothing but the best here!) which produced the following codes:

P0089
P0380

I've cleared the codes for now, and will check them in a day or so to see if they come back.

One thing I did discover was that the engine cover was rattling and vibrating like mad, so I've taken it off for now!

Well as P0039 relates to turbo bypass valve circuit and P0380 is related to glow plug control circuit I suspect that you have a wiring/connector fault, possibly corrosion in a multi connector due to water/salt ingress.....(probable cause of your other electrical problem re. interior light as well)
The area under the nearside headlight is favourite to check first. Unplug harness connectors one at a time, remove any obvious corrosion on pins then spray both sides with contact cleaner, and reconnect.

Last edited:
Back