DCI 65 tips for a newbie!

M

munk

Hi guys. My name is dave, i come to you guys from a year and a half's ownership of a renault clio. I also come from the background of running a race tunned smart as an everyday driver.

My question to you all is- how can I turn a DCI 65 into a DCI 82? Is it a question of adding an intercooler (as on the renaults with the same engine) or is it a turbine or managment system?

I am currently in the process of selling my clio and I'm in two minds... well three to be precise; to either buy a smart forfour, a Fiat Panda (multijet or 4x4) or a micra DCI.

I drove a micra before I bought my smart, and it was pretty good for a small car- I had just always wanted a smart so it plumped to go for the City coupe. After 2 years of being truely messed about by Mercedes Benz (who wouldn't know decent customer service if it bit them in the arse), and 1 and a half years of my heavy heavy clutched clio, i have decided that i need a small reliable car for the next 3 years or so.

I currently do around 20'000 motorway miles a year- due mostly to having family in devon, would a dci 65 do all that i asked of it??

Cheers.

Dave

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
would a dci 65 do all that i asked of it??

i'd say no because you said you'd like to turn it into a dci 82, so why not just buy a 82? saves a lot of headache and probably cash.
but if you are determined to make a 65 more powerfull, i'd have a go at making it a dci 100 like in the clio, as they are all renault engines! then maybe get it chipped and take it upto 130ish bhp.

Kirton

Renault Sport
If you are buying used I would get the DCi 82 if I was you mate. Infact I don't think you can get a new K12 with the DCi 65 anymore.

OP
OP
M

munk

My thinking by choosing a dci 65 is that i can afford a cleaner lower miliage car rather than a mega miles dci 82. My only tinking behind it is that there may be the possiblity as with the 1.5 dci renault engines to take it to 100bhp without messing with the mapping- sdoes anyone know if the 2 engines are related??

OP
OP
M

munk

I think they do- there is a nissan version of the clio overseas called the Nissan Platina- so I figure that they used the same block and major engine components.

The clio come with a variety of DCI engines - the 65bhp, the 85bhp and the 102bhp- the major difference between the 102bhp and the others is the lack of intercooler and different turbo- not different mapping.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
the nissan k12 dci engine is infact a renault k9k engine which is completely the same as a clio dci engine