Daveys guide to black chrome headlights.

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
I found it quite hard to find info on this so i thought i'd write out a guide, give something back to all the guys that have helped me so far.

Things you'll need:

Silicon sealant, i used black but you can get it in brown clear and even pink.
Spray paint, I used matte black but satin or gloss work as well.
An oven or combi microwave. Combi microwaves can be used as an oven, you can't use a normal microwave.
A screw driver to flick clips off.
A 10mm spanner to undo bolts.
A cloth, to clean up silicone

Step 1:
Remove Headlight from the car, this is really easy especially on the drivers side. 1 10mm bolt and 2 10mm nuts is all it takes. Wiggle and untwist light fittings. The indicator bulb and side light simply turn about 5mm and come out the headlight takes some wiggling and swearing as does the wire going into the actuator for the indicator (I believe that's what it is, a black box on the back of the headlight anyway.)

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

Step 2:
Heating. I used a combi microwave, its a microwave with an oven setting meaning you don't have to preheat it. Remove the metal clips from the headlight with your screwdriver, they just flick off. Place the complete headlight unit minus the bulbs and protective rubbers into the oven or microwave. Set the temperature for about 100-120 and leave for 3-4 minutes that's all it needs.(if your using a normal oven you'll need to pre-heat it.)

DSC00002.jpg

Step 3:
Removing glass. This step was the scariest for me. Before i say anything else. BE VERY CAREFUL! the glass is thick but brittle and chips easily.
Take your light out of the microwave with an oven glove it will be warm, push the screwdriver gently into the gap between the glass and the plastic and gently twist it, this will slowly separate the glass fro the plastic, work your way around the top of the light. Once the gap is large enough to get your fingers in gently pull the glass and it will come free from the reflectors as easy as that. Place the glass somewhere safe for later.

DSC00003.jpg

Step 4:
Preparation. You will now have an open headlight with exposed reflectors, its very obvious which bits you can paint and can't. Firs of all you need to mask off the reflectors for the headlight, indicator and side light, if you don't do this the car will not be legal.

Picture shows areas that need to be masked (On a face lift that is.).

DSC00005.jpg

Once the reflectors are well and truly covered (Really make sure.) get yourself some sand paper i used 600 grit but anything will do. Sand all the non masked areas of the light making sure you get a good key all over them. Re check your making tape for damage and head somewhere well ventilated.

DSC00006-1.jpg

Step 5:
Painting. This is the fun part, get your paint shake it well for 2 minutes and apply a very thin coat to the reflector, it doesn't need to perfect this is just instead of primer. Now leave that to dry for 10 minutes. Return and apply a second coat this should now cover the reflectors completely, i only used 2 coats some people may want to use more. Leave the final coat to dry for an hour or so then remove the masking tape.

DSC00007-1.jpg

Now you will have something resembling this.

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Step 6:
Silicone. This is messy very messy, make sure you have a cloth available. Take your painted light and find the line of old silicon, you don't need to remove this but use it as a guide, apply a constant line of fresh silicone around the light making sure you stay on the old line. Take your glass and press it firmly into the new bead of silicone and struggle madly to get your clips back on. (Just a side note, if you have long hair DON'T get silicone in it!)

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

Step 7:
Re-build. Do the first stage backwards and re-fit the light to the car, make sure all your bulbs work and admire your handy work!

Ta Da`

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

OP
OP
davey1991

davey1991

If its not scrubbing, its not low enough.
Thanks, I thought since I'm not currently a club member I'd try to give something back.

I just did this today, following the guide word for word. Worked an absolute trick - can see in my profile picture! I plan on uploading my progress soon in my own blog!