• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Dave's Nissan Micra (from the beginning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
right, some good news and some bad news.

it seems that the internals of the engine are ok.

compression test read...
cylinder one 135psi
cylinder two 135psi ish
cylinder three 125psi ish
cylinder four 130 psi ish

toped the thrid cylinder up with oil well a drip more like and tested it again and it read 137psi ish

tried all of the cylinders warm and cold better results cold but still warm they are fine, well within the safety band.

and the levels are checked and ok, no contamination in the oil or coolent which is good, topped up the coolent that i lost last night, oil is still fine

replaced a burnt spark plug with four new cooler plugs and started her up, seemd fine at first but then the white smoke returned once the car was warm, also the engine temps went sky high again.

so basically after much head scratching and conversation we believe the white smoke is due to unburnt oil being forced through the turbo centre bearing and into the exhaust.

the over heating could be a couple of things but i think its down to the mix being too lean.

since the exhaust has been fitted the map has not been altered so there is more air entering and exiting the cylinders. i have tightened the fuel reg right up and it is still a bit light on the plugs after a short drive.

so the fix solution that i am planning at the moment is. get the turbo rebuilt seals and bearings replaced then source and fit a front mount intercooler to save "another" remap then fit the 1.6 injectors in, up the fuel and start again backing and leaning it out slowly then take it back to thor to get remapped. £££

any thoughts? welcome to disscuss other opinions as tot he problem as its a head scratcher

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
GLad to see it coming on nicely apart from the head gasket. Sure you will have it sorted in no time though if the engine is ok. :) Exhaust looks sweet, whats that place like then, any good?? Keep up the good work anyway mate. :D

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
micra man said:
GLad to see it coming on nicely apart from the head gasket. Sure you will have it sorted in no time though if the engine is ok. :) Exhaust looks sweet, whats that place like then, any good?? Keep up the good work anyway mate. :D

unique exhausts is excellent cant say enough good things about them. top geezer who runs it. only down the road from you too.

it isnt the headgasket compression test said alls good

ill hopefully have it sorted within two weeks

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I still say headgasket. If there is damage to the turbo its incidental.

R

RIK

i thought headgaskets could go without loosing compression?

or is this stupid lol

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Yeah they can kind off, but usually with the above symptoms.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
The engine is damaged the exhaust will make no difference and is a red herring.

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
car is back at my house and on hold for the time being. gonna stick the soundsystem in while its off the road

Antony

Ex. Club Member
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
"every one find some wood to touch"

what ever you do in your spare time matey....lol

i am having to do my conversion on the cheap, then upgrade as i go along..... i have a T2 garret, possibly a rover 220Ti intercooler, no manifold yet....still....:glare: :glare:
but i am going to be running a 5psi spring in the waste gate and a boost control valve so that i can fine tune it up to 7 psi, i will be running possibly an AIC...and thats it........should be better equiped than standard, and will still scare a few people....

then it hits me............. where do you lot get £2000 from?.......i earn about £800-£1000 a month, an i spend it all on insurance, fuel, rent, food and stuff....then all i have left is about £300...........(and my overdraft) its sickening!

ooooh nice car again by the way...mines got those same wheels but in silver and in 14"

R

runaway-robot

If i was going 2 turbo, or do anything 2 my car, i wouldnt cut corners or try to do it cheap. Rather spend the money, do a gd job, and know it will last :) at the end of the day, its the ppl in the car will suffer if anything goes wrong :D

Ian

Ex. Club Member
antony_aiken said:
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
"every one find some wood to touch"

what ever you do in your spare time matey....lol

i am having to do my conversion on the cheap, then upgrade as i go along..... i have a T2 garret, possibly a rover 220Ti intercooler, no manifold yet....still....:glare: :glare:
but i am going to be running a 5psi spring in the waste gate and a boost control valve so that i can fine tune it up to 7 psi, i will be running possibly an AIC...and thats it........should be better equiped than standard, and will still scare a few people....

then it hits me............. where do you lot get £2000 from?.......i earn about £800-£1000 a month, an i spend it all on insurance, fuel, rent, food and stuff....then all i have left is about £300...........(and my overdraft) its sickening!

ooooh nice car again by the way...mines got those same wheels but in silver and in 14"

after i rent i make £64 per week.. yet i have managed to save up £4000 :p

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
so far i have nearly finished my custom guage cluster, gonna do the doorcards and speakers and FG them next week, ive ordered my new intercooler and a 190mm HD clutch, also gearbox with LSD and shorter final drive should be arriving over the weekend sometime.

Then its new engine, fit all of the parts, remap and test. looking at about a month id guess

saving loads of money on petrol lol, this tank has lasted me ages lol

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Did you do that compression test from cold? Those figures are low, you should be seeing figures around 180psi on a good engine. Have you done a leak down test?

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Davey C said:
saving loads of money on petrol lol, this tank has lasted me ages lol

i know what you mean...think i last put petrol in about 4 month ago, lol. Just a shame the car will make up for it when it gets running again :)

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
right the clutch is gonna take 6 weeks to arrive so it looks like the car wont be moving for some time :(

the gearbox is still in transit somewhere and engines a few and far between with the mileage that i want.

looks like im gonna be getting one from API and possibly getting some work done to it before it goes in the car.

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
ok an update, so i have started the engine swap. :)

Gearbox with LSD has arrived, replacement engine will be a standard CG13DE K11 block with 30K on it.

Also while im doing this work im gonna fit the new intercooler.

Yesterday i began stripping the engine down, to be honest didnt get too far as i was getting stuck on all the siezed bolts and tubes etc etc. (bits that havent been touched for 10 years and are now not all too keen on moving lol).

first off i offered up my new intercooler looks pretty good, should be ok to fit also, obviously some work but not too much so thats good.

anyway some pics...

Attachments

• Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 418
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 410
  • Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 376
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 406
  • Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 419
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 433
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
So following that, today i have been down to the garage with the bits that i needed a hand with. Ie engine hoist, so now the engine is now totally out and im waiting on gaskets for inlet and exhaust manifold plus a standard clutch.
They should be here tommorrow so im hoping i will be able to get the new engine back in tommorrow.
The vast majority of the parts have been swapped over from old to new engine and the block is ready for the final few bits to go back on.
Then back in the bay and the turbo and other things can be re-fitted and the the route for the new intercooler can be made up.

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
while the car has been off the road i have been busy witht he interia, well the door cards to be precise.

i have made a a new set of door cards and pods for the front component speakers.

simple design, mdf rings and fibre glass + filler + material = yummy (see pics)

ps there will be a marathon of pics to follow probs too many but hay you dont have to look at all of them. :)

Attachments

• Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 397
  • Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 323
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 343
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 369
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
more pics...

Attachments

• Image017.jpg
    Image017.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 335
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 375
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 336
  • Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 382
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 352
  • Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 371
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
more pics not in the correct order mind...

Attachments

• Image017.jpg
    Image017.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 383
  • DSCF0217.JPG
    DSCF0217.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • DSCF0216.JPG
    DSCF0216.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • DSCF0214.JPG
    DSCF0214.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 1,208
  • DSCF0215.JPG
    DSCF0215.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF0213.JPG
    DSCF0213.JPG
    452.1 KB · Views: 1,958
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 338
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
more again... i really do apologise for all those trying to view this thread with a 56K. :glance:

Attachments

• Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 344
  • Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 373
  • Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 311
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 308
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 338
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 325

scottish-sr

Ex. Club Member
I like what you have done with the door cards. Going to do my ones soon. How did you stick the fabric to the door card, staple gun?

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
scottish-sr said:
I like what you have done with the door cards. Going to do my ones soon. How did you stick the fabric to the door card, staple gun?

spray mount mate, very easy if a little time consuming

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
ok so an update, got back from the garage today at about 21.30 long day but plenty done.

first off was to clean the engine bay while i was waiting for the clutch and gaskets to arrive

pics...

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 363
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
next was swapping over all the parts from the engine i took out yesterday. not as hard as you would think but just confusing at times lol. SO many random wires tubes etc etc and remembering what goes into what is a chew.

pics are, old/new clutch just a std one to tide me over till the HD 190mm one arrives from oz.

then the new engine with bits now attached

Attachments

• Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 399
  • Image023.jpg
    Image023.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Image022.jpg
    Image022.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 350
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
next was some bad news, as we had to take off the TB to swap over the inlet manifold i got a good look inside the inlet manifold to find a mini resiviour of oil that has been coming through the turbo. suspect main seal so its off to be rebuilt and improved :devil:

gonna get a 360degree thrust bearing which will allow the T2 to run up to 20 odd psi. more than i will ever need :)

so pics are, inlet manifold midshot and closeup (for all those interested) then the turbo ready to be sent away to be rebuilt :(

Attachments

• Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 385
  • Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 312
  • Image025.jpg
    Image025.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 363
  • Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
this is how i left the car today (see pic)
so tommorrow will be hopefully ALL back together bar turbo. and that means that the routing for my new front mount will take a little longer so that will be pushed back till mid next week now.

hopefully turbo will arrive next monday all finished and new/better

then off to get the IC piping made up then its gonna get dragged home and left on my drive until ed has some time and then he can come and map it as Thor made a mess of it before.

so hopefully not too long left to go now, i can see the end

:)

Attachments

• Image039.jpg
    Image039.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 447
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
antony_aiken said:
love the reg number on that chevvy.....

as if we couldnt tell....fwn

lol, its good aint it. and my god that car is awesome. fastest car i have EVER been in and fastest car i will ever be likely to go in. seriously seriously FAST

anyway an update from today.

intercooler is now mounted up front. turbo has been picked up and will be getting rebuilt soon hopefully. then its intercooler piping then wait untill it can be mapped. :)

pics...

Attachments

• Image017.jpg
    Image017.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 337
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 310

Antony

Ex. Club Member
its not fair... why do i have to have a job that pays peanuts?...... and my car is the same spec and colour as yours....but im no where near even thinking of putting a turbo on mine yet.... i have the T2 and ordered my HKS manifold.... thats it....o_O o_O o_O o_O

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Ian said:
hopfully not thor again?
no, not thor!

latest update from this evening. rocker cover nearly finished, painted in acid8 then a couple of layers of top coat. think im gonna put another two layers of top coat on and see how it looks then maybe add laquer.

pics (the rocker has been sanded in these pics hence why it doesnt look nice and glossy) gonna finish it off tomorrow ah shi7 england game :down: ,will be finishing it off sunday then after the haze has cleared. :)

Attachments

• Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Image013.jpg
    Image013.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 324
  • Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 313
OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
antony_aiken said:
its not fair... why do i have to have a job that pays peanuts?...... and my car is the same spec and colour as yours....but im no where near even thinking of putting a turbo on mine yet.... i have the T2 and ordered my HKS manifold.... thats it....o_O o_O o_O o_O

have patients mate, "good things come to those who wait" lol :laugh:

it'll all come together in the end, i was banned for two years, imagine how that felt!

solarice

Ex. Club Member
antony_aiken said:

same opinion as davey c, i started collecting funds for mine just after i got it (awhile ago now) :) ...so patience is definatly the key...keep the dream alive :D

Antony

Ex. Club Member
thanks guys, ill keep me chin up...:wasntme:

im sure it will come together.... i have been offered the opertunity to have my engine re-built and my car re-sprayed if i supply the paint...so i may go candy apple...

but first things first....
im taking the engine out, thats for certain... ive got a "sam" as an engine crain and an engine stand too....and hes offered to bench flow the head as well.....possibly port match and valve seat grinding too.... wont see much performance but cant hurt...

and i need another rocker cover as the gimp who attempted mine did it with a bleeding brush and cocked it up!!!!grr grr

lol

nearly there

OP
OP
Davey C

Davey C

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
update from today.

the turbo has been rebuilt and is now back on the car (arrived this morning). Its going in for its intercooler piping tommorrow morning at 9.30am.
Ed should be ariving mid afternoon to map the car.
So assuming that there are no other serious issues then it may drive again tommorrow. We shall see, all of the final bits have been put back in the car and tightened up so im hoping its all good to go. intercooler piping on, then bumper/grill on and a wash then map.

pics from today...

Attachments

• Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 332
  • Image018.jpg
    Image018.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Image020.jpg