• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Dattosan Machi Suzuki twincam 4wd project pg22

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Kev, just a thought but you seem to be better at drifting than some of the 'pro' guys I've seen at various Jap car fest's. You ever thought of seeing if you could do it for a living?

Kev, just a thought but you seem to be better at drifting than some of the 'pro' guys I've seen at various Jap car fest's. You ever thought of seeing if you could do it for a living?

Aww thanks man thats one hell of a complimnet :D :D i have heard people say before that i should aim higher. Its just being in the right place at the right time and getting the right oppurtunities. Iam driving at a couple of shows this summer. Iam doing 8 30minute demos in one weekend soon. Also i hope to make it too portugal for the king of the ring event and we will see what else.

Iam sponsored by kinzuru autosalon but they are a very small company and can only justify flowing me some clothes and discount on parts, iam very greatfull though :) Jdm garage have for the last 3 years or so called me a team driver and offered me discount on parts. But i have never been invited to drive in any event they have gone to as a team. Iam not to bothered though because i have my own style and ideas and iam better off with kinzuru where i get the chance to drive with them as a team and can express myself in my way :DD

another quick video. one of the front wheels fell off just after this footage was taken. bolt on spacer issue, hence it nearly catches me out a few times lol

Only saying what I think Kev :). Where are the shows you're doing?

Pembrey in wales but itll be full circuit which is 4th gear instead of 2nd lol, that will be scary :D

and iam hoping to go portugal later in the summer for king of the ring. its a comp but ill treat it as practice and showing off :)

Thanks mate, i want to go faster and backwards into the corners i need a bigger track :D

547563_10151009057567577_512537576_12093500_741961317_n.jpg
246512_10151009056292577_512537576_12093499_589814760_n.jpg
574838_10151009053262577_512537576_12093496_1898488178_n.jpg

Today i worked on the micra.

I spent about 2 hours taking the head off and removing the broken stud, it was a bitch but i managed to drill it and use an extended easy out.

Also i checked out the gear linkage. it needs cutting and altering to work with the bigger gearbox. One good thing though is the drive shafts went in without any modding. they are however at theyre limits, but will pull out a little when the car is decked. I will not be leaving it like this though. I will be removing the lower arms tomorrow and modding them. I will extend them by 30mm and at the same time i will dial in some extra caster. A bit extra caster and a bit extra camber will allow me too drop it a bit lower.

I also did some bits like bolt on the manifolds and alternator, starter motor, clutch cable ect ect. I will put the cams in tomorrow and do the remaining jobs so that i can fire it up. I doubt itll be quicker though because it is now standard compression, standard cg13 flywheel, cg13 gearbox. But it does now have cams and mild ported head. The engine is mounted very solid. This is because i had to really wedge the whole lot in on standard mounts. All chassis mounts are standard. rear gearbox and front gearbox mounts are cg13 k11 shizzle. engine mount is home made.

I may get this on the road whilst i finish my r32 and put a new engine in my mx5 :D

Glad to see you haven't forgotten/given up on the micra :D

Yeah man i cant forget it, too much connection with it. Doubt ill be able to sell it or break it up.

All i really care about now is making it more robust so it doesnt break all the time and also i want to get it looking exactly how i want it. Really really slammed with LOTS of camber. Ill probably try and find an interior for it so it can be more comfortable :DD

More people should be doing this conversion. Its sooooo easy. Ive had more difficult poohs before.

Literally all i have done is bolted stock parts together with one custom mount. The wiring takes 20mins as its just 3 or 4 wires to connect to the ignition. Plumbing is as standard.

Hardest part to do neatly is fuel system :D

Apparently the k10 lower arms are longer than k11, so if you retained k10 arms with k11 balljoints, the driveshafts would be an even better fit :DDDD

Sounds awesome Kev and we finally know what you look like :D.

Thanks mate, i was really happy with it, it sounds so much better than the other cg. I think the other engine was a bit rough. Its amazing because the car now has 5 gears, reverse and a working clutch :D :D

Yeah my secret is out, i look like a fugly bogan :DD lol Tbh though i look like a gypo in them cut off shorts and covered in oil :DDDDD

I cut and added 35mm too my lower arms. still wont a bit more camber and some more caster. I will modify the strut tops tomorrow evening. I also need to roll back the arch lips slightly and then i can lower it too the desired ride height. i want to go down atleast 30-40mm.

Yes this means its also been for a test drive :DD

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Awesome Kev, you should be on the exhibition circuit. Is that a truck style exhaust on the bonnet :D ?!

fantastic vid! you have a lot of skill!
Im guessing the exhaust is just a take off, looks very small to be the full system:) or maybe he has an external waste gate!? (and very soft actuator spring)
Just a thought but what i think would be really good in the vid is something hanging from the roof which swings about a according to g force, there is something in the passenger foot well which serves a similar purpose :D

Cherry bomb tailbomb. Really happy with it. 75mm x 480mm body, 50mm id inlet, 65mm tailpipe and they also made the tail pipe 3 inches longer for me so I can have sticking out the back a long way haha
2011-02-19%2012.51.35.jpg

2011-02-19%2012.51.51.jpg

2011-02-19%2013.04.57.jpg

2011-02-19%2013.05.11.jpg

2011-02-19%2013.05.26.jpg

Can't complain for £40 delivered within 3-4days, also got 4 metre of 50mm bosal exhaust tubing, hopefully ill be able to get it all bent up in the next day or two :)

Alternator all mounted and new belt fitted. Luckily the new belt has 2 teeth less width. Ideal becauise the alternator is well out of alignment with the bottom pulley.
2011-02-19%2014.13.03.jpg

Alternator tensioner bracket
2011-02-19%2014.13.09.jpg

You can see in this pic that the alignment isn't great still, not bad though!
2011-02-19%2014.13.25.jpg

Manifold all mounted with stainless nuts, washers and bolts. Love how the dipstick is easier to use than with the standard manifold lol
2011-02-19%2014.14.02.jpg

Engine bay before the engine went back in. It needs cleaning, priming, painting and then all the little gay bits need hiding/tucking
2011-02-19%2014.14.14.jpg

This is one of the lowest points on the car, lca mount, and this is before the engine went in. Haha, yes I know, it needs to be lower. That can wait until I can afford corsa coilovers for it instead :D
2011-02-19%2014.14.38.jpg

Throttle cable is just slightly too short, need another 2-3inches. Hoping a primera or s13 one will do the job :nod:
2011-02-19%2015.47.31.jpg

Alt pulley rubbing chassis rail, thisll get turned back on a lathe tomorrow at workies. And will make up the neccessary sleeves and spacers :)
2011-02-19%2015.48.12.jpg

Clutch cable is very close to the carbs, I had to remove the metal curvey sleeve thingy
2011-02-19%2015.48.42.jpg

Here's the engine bay as it was left yesterday after getting it running
2011-02-19%2017.23.52.jpg

I could do with some help from someone who is good with carbs and dizzy, cose its kicking back a fair bit and iam unsure which way is advance/retard ect ect. Damn iam so out of touch with this old skool teck :(

:D :D :D

Sparks are from alternator pulley rubbing on chassis rail, the wedge fell out of the engine mount :) the pulley will get machined back tomorrow :)

The manifold is blowing in places because my welder died so couldn't finish it properly. And the pipe is just slid into the y piece with no clamp. The cherry bomb is on t'other end of pipe but is clamped on. Also there is no gasket between manifold and head.

Here is some progress.

Alternator spacer
2011-02-21%2006.50.42.jpg

Top hat spacer/sleeve for the alternator pulley. K10 alt with k11 multi vee pulley and I mchined back the pulley so it won't rub anymore.
2011-02-21%2007.51.19.jpg

The four branch very nearly complete. Needs welds re doing in places and a general tidy up :)
2011-02-20%2017.24.18.jpg

2011-02-20%2017.24.39.jpg

2011-02-20%2017.25.05.jpg

More tonight I reckon :)

Hey machi san , lovely car by you mate :D 16v rocks!:) where did you get the cherrybomb tailpipe? Looks ace! Thanks..

Rutland have been doing the same mod to mk1/2 fiesta axles for years. Iam an engineer and have been doing these sorts of mods for a long while and iam more than satisfied that the mods are more than safe :)

The tapered spacer before drilling
2011-05-08%2013.59.53.jpg

The tapered spacer after drilling
2011-05-08%2014.33.49.jpg

2011-05-08%2014.33.55.jpg

Tapered spacer fitted using high tensile 12.9 m12 bolts with nyloc nuts
2011-05-08%2015.11.59.jpg

2011-05-08%2015.12.15.jpg

Need to get some different bolts though, ones that are a better length :) also iam going to drill more holes in the spacer so that I can dial in differing amounts of toe and camber. All appears well so far, just needs tidying up and painting :)

Hey mate,
Awesome build!! Just wondering how well the tapered spacer worked out for you and how much camber it gave you, also doing this does it cause the wheels to poke out more and how fast do your tyres wear out with the camber??
Sorry for all the questions I got rub issues and trying to fix it and this seems like an awesome idea.
Cheers Simon

fantastic vid! you have a lot of skill!
Im guessing the exhaust is just a take off, looks very small to be the full system:) or maybe he has an external waste gate!? (and very soft actuator spring)
Just a thought but what i think would be really good in the vid is something hanging from the roof which swings about a according to g force, there is something in the passenger foot well which serves a similar purpose :D

Haha its funny you say that because in my mx5 i have converse sneakers hanging from the mirror and its funny to watch like a g meter. the external wastegate is running 14psi spring :D

Hey machi san , lovely car by you mate :D 16v rocks!:) where did you get the cherrybomb tailpipe? Looks ace! Thanks..

Hi mate sorry for the late reply to your message.

The cherry bomb silencers come from a guy on ebay. customchrome if i remember correctly. He made the chrome tail piece 2inches longer for me at no extra cost :)

Hey mate,
Awesome build!! Just wondering how well the tapered spacer worked out for you and how much camber it gave you, also doing this does it cause the wheels to poke out more and how fast do your tyres wear out with the camber??
Sorry for all the questions I got rub issues and trying to fix it and this seems like an awesome idea.
Cheers Simon

Yeah i had the same issue with my wheels not rubbing and the camber mod actually helped the issue and now i can tuck the entire the tyre sidewall :D i think it is probably about 2* camber each side. I actually narrowed the axle whilst i was at it

it doesnt actually wear the inside edge at all because generally its toe that ruins tyres.

Yeah i had the same issue with my wheels not rubbing and the camber mod actually helped the issue and now i can tuck the entire the tyre sidewall :D i think it is probably about 2* camber each side. I actually narrowed the axle whilst i was at it

it doesnt actually wear the inside edge at all because generally its toe that ruins tyres.

Ah ok cool. Is it easy to do?? I cant do welding or anything but was thinking of asking an engineer i know. Looks like its the only think i can do, to get some camber and stop the wheels rubbing and making a horrible noise :p

how much did you shorten the axle by?? Was that also to help tuck the tyre under the arches??

I haven't even looked what it like under the car for that part, so i got no idea atm. Any ideas how to do camber or is machi san's way the only way :(

What about the honda one and cut of the links off and cut up the rear suspension arm on the K10 to size and weld in the honda adjustable camber part?? Just a thought