• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Dattosan Machi Suzuki twincam 4wd project pg22

Here is my new project car. Its a project for daily driving that i can muck around with without spending any dollar.

K10 micra ls lowest of the low prefacelift spec.
1a532023.jpg

c25f2add.jpg

5cfa2544.jpg

f7a32e92.jpg

It was free and is pretty tidy with only 66600 miles on the clock.

Plans are to mot it next week. Cut the springs heavily, so its on the bump stops. Fit some banded steels, need to make some first, i need some laser cut strips of steel 3inch wide if anyone knows who can do it.

Also got buckets to go in and iam gonna strip it out as per norm

Updates coming soon :)

I have managed too pick up some bargains and parts that were too good to pass on.

list of parts so far:
I have a 4 branch exhaust manifold to adapt
Rc40 mini exhaust to adapt
Cobra monaco buckets
Some red 3 point harness
Momo steering wheel and gear knob
Redtop fuel pump
Fuel regulator
Gsxr 750 carbs
Spax coilover kit for mini
Monster tacho
Mini rollcage to adapt
Cg13de engine (at the breakers< just need to pay and collect)
Cg13 engine conversion kit including 3.25kg cg10de flywheel (payed for just awaiting delivery)
12 gallon ally tank (would prefer a 4 gallon tank though)

I know i promised myself that i wouldnt do an engine conversion on this car but its too good to miss. 100hp in 700kgs is gonna be cool fun as long as i can make it handle lol

Mot was today, i have one patch to weld and then itll be on the road, retest is booked for next saturday.

nice project mate will keep an eye on this thread (Y)

Cheers fella. I imagine it will be a slowish moving project because this will be my daily driver so i can get on with some of my other projects.

Any mods i do will be weekend blitzs. Iam hoping i can pretty much complete the cg conversion in a day or two. Just need to make sure i collect and mod any parts that i need before i start.

Cheers
Kev

Yesterday i took delivery of a nice box of bits from mr superls.

Basically everything i need for the cg conversion apart from the engine and bike carbs.

Pics.

Bolts
3d4def43.jpg

Hoses
3e623028.jpg

Flywheel
b35b5e24.jpg

Engine mounts
1be86806.jpg

95b26901.jpg

Ma10 dizzy modded for cg
b15e4fcf.jpg

b2c085cd.jpg

5b37d0e5.jpg

Thankyou please

kamisama

Ex. Club Member
loving the flywheel mate, im after one of those myself, Loving the idea of bike carbs aswell (Y) if only i knew how to tune em

loving the flywheel mate, im after one of those myself, Loving the idea of bike carbs aswell (Y) if only i knew how to tune em

Superls made the flywheel. Its a cg10 16v flywheels so that it fits withing the small casing gearbox and also matches the cg13 6 bolt cranks :)

Iam sure Scott would do you a good deal on a flywheel.

Iam no expert when it comes to the carbs but iam sure i can get it too run well enough to get me too the rolling road. I have been warned that it will run pretty weak. We will have too wait and see. I have some gsxr750 carb s too try out, but need an engine before i can start fabbing a manifold.

Cheers
Kev

kamisama

Ex. Club Member
cheers for that mate,
im currently eyeing up a set of fireblade carbs for mine and trying to get as much advice as possible

Pics of bits i have for the car.

6c9d3005.jpg

8c8b6143.jpg

0564729e.jpg

Cobra bucket, i have a pair and the both need a clean
000075a4.jpg

And i tried these on as a temp fit until the bandies are done
76618bd4.jpg

3e7a266d.jpg

e72715ba.jpg

More tomorrow :)

:D they do actually look pretty awesome :D

they are only 12 x 5j and they are mini fitment. the offset appears fairly decent though. not quite enough stud is showing so i may get the wheels redrilled slightly.

kev

Freshly cleaned, polished, partially stripped and slightly lowered. :D

33daa554.jpg

95c73c4e.jpg

238ddb87.jpg

6c7323fc.jpg

ecc1acc8.jpg

d9e37550.jpg

Also fitted an s13 steering wheel and also found a passenger side mirror delete panel. Ill get pics of those tomorrow.

Kev

Freshly cleaned, polished, partially stripped and slightly lowered. :D

33daa554.jpg

95c73c4e.jpg

238ddb87.jpg

6c7323fc.jpg

ecc1acc8.jpg

d9e37550.jpg

Also fitted an s13 steering wheel and also found a passenger side mirror delete panel. Ill get pics of those tomorrow.

Kev

My mates runa car wash which happened to be at my mot centre so i used all there stuff, ill find out what its called but i believe its called durosol. Its possible to get plastics back to black by using a heat gun. Have a look on youtube, try heat gun back to black!.

I chopped 3 coils allround and its pretty much perfect. The back is marginally higher though. I didn't remove the springs from the shocks or the shocks from the car
lol

I will get some pics of the steering wheel in a couple hours.

My mates runa car wash which happened to be at my mot centre so i used all there stuff, ill find out what its called but i believe its called durosol. Its possible to get plastics back to black by using a heat gun. Have a look on youtube, try heat gun back to black!.

I chopped 3 coils allround and its pretty much perfect. The back is marginally higher though. I didn't remove the springs from the shocks or the shocks from the car
lol

I will get some pics of the steering wheel in a couple hours.

Iam in desperate need of anti roll bars, bucket seats and decent tyres. The shocks and springs could do with being stiffer and the steering needs to be quicker. But it should be ok, it defo doesnt need a bigger engine just yet.

200sx steering wheel
d5251b5d.jpg

Wing mirrir delete
b8c62896.jpg

And facelift wheels 13 x 5 which i will band :)
8274db9f.jpg

6a51d644.jpg

24ee6845.jpg

And i got some k11 front and rear arbs and also secured a deal on an engine for much cheapness :D

srapyard rocks!!!

kev

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Your car certainly is tidy after washing it. You also got quite a few double posts, lol.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all of the great comments fellow micra modders :)

I really like this car alot, its got great caracter and is a blast to drive in the summer with the sunroof and rear quarters open.

And yes i have a major double post issue, something to do with posting on my phone i think

Cheers
Kev

I fitted k11 anti roll bars last night and wow what a difference it has made :) very happy with the results, although I need some new shocks cose mine just bottom out on every bump or corner. Its pretty terrible lol. Iam gonna try and see if i can get mk2 golf coilovers too fit allround. Hopefully try a set on friday.

Also the back end seems to step out on most corners so i think it needs to be softer on the rear, stiffer on the front, lots more camber on the rear and better tyres allround.

Could also do with a quicker ratio rack as well, so i think iam going to be getting k11 hubs, brakes, lower arms ect and midly modding the steering arms for quicker steering.

Next mods will be to add a rev counter and fit some better seats and also sort out decent shocks and springs.

Kev

Small amount of modding. I will get you some pics tonight if i get chance.

You have to drill the lower arms and make up some plates with tapped threads. These plates are welded to the floor and then the arb bushes and brackets bolt upto there.

I will be swapping the lower arms for k11 soon though.

The rear bar involves drilling two holes for the droplinks and then another two threaded plates that weld too the axle for the arb too bolt down to.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
I think you need to put a bit more weight in the back, ie spare wheel possibly.

Also my make has the same MX5 he's recently fitted a roll cage, Sports Exhaust, Induction Kit and Shocks/Springs Lowered 30mm all round. he just sold his house, lol.

I fitted k11 anti roll bars last night and wow what a difference it has made :) very happy with the results, although I need some new shocks cose mine just bottom out on every bump or corner. Its pretty terrible lol. Iam gonna try and see if i can get mk2 golf coilovers too fit allround. Hopefully try a set on friday.

Also the back end seems to step out on most corners so i think it needs to be softer on the rear, stiffer on the front, lots more camber on the rear and better tyres allround.

Could also do with a quicker ratio rack as well, so i think iam going to be getting k11 hubs, brakes, lower arms ect and midly modding the steering arms for quicker steering.

Next mods will be to add a rev counter and fit some better seats and also sort out decent shocks and springs.

Kev

I think you need to put a bit more weight in the back, ie spare wheel possibly.

Also my make has the same MX5 he's recently fitted a roll cage, Sports Exhaust, Induction Kit and Shocks/Springs Lowered 30mm all round. he just sold his house, lol.

I found the cause of the oversteer. Its was tyre pressures on the rear. 10psi and 17psi lol, just cose a car has had new tyres fitted and they look pumped up, doesnt actually mean they are :)

The mx5 is my missus, its great car too drive and so clean. She is planning on fitting coilies, front lip, vented front sidelights and she has strut braces to go on, lsd, twin pipe stainless exhaust, k&n and she has got some 15inch steels being banded to 8j and 9j. I think its gonna look pretty damn awesome :nod:

Cheers
Kev

Right i managed to get my hands on some golf coilies to take some measurements from.

I measured the length of them in full bump at theyre lowest setting, when they hit the beginning of the bump stop and they are 10mm shorter than the standard ones in full bump. They are also plenty long enough. The top thread that goes through the top mount is 14mm on the golfs and 10mm on the micras, so i will need new front topmounts. The bottom bracket is 6mm wider so all i need is 3mm packing piece either side. And i need to redrill a hole on each side.

The rears apparently go straight on :)

Need some golf coilies now

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
i love this micra some good progress there. have you thought about making up a couple of sets of the arb plates and selling them i reckon they would be quite popular as theres always people wanting to get rid of the dreaded k10 roll i know id be intreasted. keep up the good work ;)

B14KLR

Ex. Club Member
so am i correct in assuming there is no arb on the k10 is standard? is that the same across the range inc superturbo etc?

boyracergt

Ex. Club Member
only the super s and top spec 1.2s had one on the back but no uk spec k10 had them on the front. the superturbo has one on the front i think but the body of a st is slightly different to the normal k10 so it has the mounts for front arb

Got a 5 speed last night. Its a 1000cc 16v k11 box (i hope) but not sure how too determine if its the correct one. Ill do a comparison tonight after work.
7b5ff8f8.jpg

c44558cd.jpg

And got a front splitter thing from the front of a seat so will see if its looks ok on the car, it might look rubbish though lol

Iam picking up the low mileage cg13 on saturday. Cant wait to get on with it :)

And i think i have a dead front wheel bearing so roll on the k11 front hubs, trackrodends, lower arms and i will need some vented brakes i think for the bigger engine.

I really dont mind knocking up some tapped plates for people if they want to do the conversion them selves. The rears attach slightly different and i modded the bush clamps but ill get pics and it maybe easier to use clamps from another car. Ill get some pics up later.

Just having the front bar on alone makes a huge improvement to the handling.

Kev

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
loving the build thread so far. Some great practical mods. did you have a look at the golf rear coilovers? as they look simular (dont know about size) and a set of 4 on ebay are £140

loving the build thread so far. Some great practical mods. did you have a look at the golf rear coilovers? as they look simular (dont know about size) and a set of 4 on ebay are £140

Thanks matey, iam really happy with how its going. i cant wait too get my wheels back and yes i ordered ebay golf coilovers. hopefully they will go low enough, i have already checked the bump travel on the front and it will have 10mm more bumpt than the standard front shocks. the fronts will nedd new top mounts making and two 3mm shims on each side where the hub bolts up and also the bottom hole needs redrilling or slotting by 10mm or so.

Nice one :) any idea of a price yet? Are they just plates that have been drilled and tapped in effect? Did u just weld them onto the floor?

The fronts are literally just tapped plates, which anyone could make up and any mechanic could weld them on very easily.

the rears are a little more work. 2 x droplik plates and two times plate for the arb bush bracket. the brackets on the back hook in and have one bolt (see my pics below), its is possible to swap to mx5 rear brackets or anything similar size down the scrappy, but i didnt bother. also i mounted the bar on the back of the axle instead of the front, i did this because it gives me alot more room to get the angles how i want. i think it would be very tight with my rideheight otherwise.

If you just wanted the front bar on which makes a massive improvement by itself, i could do those plates for like 12.50 delivered, depending on if i have the material lying about.

or you could get anyone to knock some up who has a tap and die set.

it is very simple once you get the bar up to the car

rear anti roll bar
986f5351.jpg

f5c0d916.jpg

ad476611.jpg

1b585f1e.jpg

0057e9dd.jpg

Ignore my rubbish welding, i just cannot get on with my dads mig :(

The anti rollbar should be fixed to the front of the axle, but it was a hell of a lot easier for me too mount it off of thye back. wont make much difference because its still will work in the same fashion. It also meant that i could mount it all too take into account my ride height. The plates all need a tidy up and some seam sealer. But the arbs make a massive difference, this car actually drifts round roundabouts lol. The back starts too slide and you can just keep your foot planted and aim in the direction you want. Its is wearing 145 80 12 remould spec knobblies on the rear that arent matching. The brand new 145 80 12 runways on the front are mint in the dry, not a hint of understeer, not driven it fast in the wet.

Also the other night i was coming back from a mates house about 11pm, i was just crusin along in a 30 zone until i come upto the 60. By that time i was stuck behind something (didnt pay attention as too what it was), anyways a pretty fast 100+ section of road was coming up so i took my oppurtuniy to pass as we entered the 60.

He obviously wasnt happy so sat on my bumper and i just cruised at 70, wasnt gonna try getting away. Two miles down the road i turn off into the back roads, still very fast stretch but with big straights with yumps, bumps and some cool corners. one of the corners i call the carousel because it is tight and banked on the inside and you can really haul around it.

Anyways through the twists and turns i managed to pull a fair amount of distance and he kept trying to catch up on the straights but was failing.

I even had the car 4 wheel sliding into the carousel which was hairy cose it was one of those moments when you not sure whether to drop back to second or hold third (still getting used to power band and ratios) and i was tired and my adrenaline was off on one.

about 4-5 miles into the back road the road surface is terrible, i had too drop back to 60 because my shocks bottom out over the slightest crease, and he very nearly caught up which would have been rubbish because it was one long straight until the end of the road, anywasy he turned off and i was like, aaahhhhh what a loser and cruised the rest of the way at 45 lol

I cant believe i smoked someone in a 998cc 1986 micra with cut springs lol, this is why i miss my fiesta's and mini's.

All above speeds were kmh obviously.

What fun i have in my gay granny car :D

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
thanks for the reply and chopped springs are awsome :D but you need to loose some more:

4cc11893.jpg

Thats how big mine are lol 3.5 coils :p Though Im gonna get them golf coilovers as it scrubs like a ##### in the back with the wellers on and a bit of weight in the back.