Dashboard blue/red coolant temperature light - not blue on my new K12?

The dashboard control lamp for the coolant temperature should shortly turn red when the ignitionkey is turned on and then change to blue. When the engine is started the blue indication should disappear when the coolant have reached a temperature of 50 degrees Celsius.
So it does on my former Micra K12 from 2005.

On my new Micra 1,2 Acenta 80 HP with a/c from 2009 it doesn't?
The coolant lamp shortly gets red when the ignitionkey is turned on, but it doesn't change to blue? (the engine is of course cold).
Has Nissan eventually modified it on never K12's, so they don't have the blue indicator?
Or could it be a faulty coolant temperature sensor? It should as well make the fan start by high temperatures, I think.
Or a broken blue dashboardlamp (is it possible to change)?
Coolant.JPG

Any ideas? Thanks.
Best Rgds. Mike

Last edited:
It should be Blue in the newer cluster.?
Red usually means that it's having problem.
Maybe the coolant is ready for renewal..
The only other reason it would light red is a overheat.
See what others with the newer cluster say they probably have a different view or better info than I can give.

It should be Blue in the newer cluster.?
Red usually means that it's having problem.
Maybe the coolant is ready for renewal..
The only other reason it would light red is a overheat.
See what others with the newer cluster say they probably have a different view or better info than I can give.
The red light should shortly light up when the ignition key is turned on and then turn of (like some of the other controllamps in the cluster). It's ok and works on my new 2009 Micra. There is no coolant problem. The red light should only light up while driving, when the coolant exceeds 104 degrees Celsius.
My question is why it doesn't change to blue when the engine is cold (as it does on my former Micra 2005). Maybe Nissan has taken this featureaway on never models. Maybe some guys with 2007-2010 K12's can answer that?

I'm just used to 2005 model it goes from green at cold temps then it turns off. It's red when the ignition key is turned and then red when the coolant gets above certain temps.
The lighting for this on the newer micra is different as to the meaning of each light colour.

Where is this cold light?
It is the same as the red one. When the ignition is turned on, it shortly lights up in red and the changes to blue, until the engine is warm enough (50 degree Celsius). While driving, it should only light up in red if the enginecoolant exceeds 104 degree Celsius.

The blue light indicates your engine is cold and not to drive it hard till it warms up. Will show more on cold weather days :) When at close to normal temprature the light should go out. If the red light comes on the engine temperature is to hot.

They all located as one symbol on the instrument cluster?

Nice colour micra urbantiger have not yet seen an orange micra before is it burnt orange or what is this paint code?

The blue light indicates your engine is cold and not to drive it hard till it warms up. Will show more on cold weather days :) When at close to normal temprature the light should go out. If the red light comes on the engine temperature is to hot.

They all located as one symbol on the instrument cluster?
YES! Of course I now all that - I have been writing it several times. To you - just before:

The red light should shortly light up when the ignition key is turned on and then turn of (like some of the other controllamps in the cluster). It's ok and works on my new 2009 Micra. There is no coolant problem. The red light should only light up while driving, when the coolant exceeds 104 degrees Celsius.
My question is why it doesn't change to blue when the engine is cold (as it does on my former Micra 2005). Maybe Nissan has taken this featureaway on never models. Maybe some guys with 2007-2010 K12's can answer that?

Please read my question. On my former 2005 K12 it works like that, but on my new 2009 there is no blue light.
My question is if Nissan has changed that feature on later models.
In another forum I have read that it is changed from 2006 and onwards. So if an K12 owner with later models could take a look ...

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Do you have enough coolant? :unsure:
If coolant level is too low, it doesn't circulate to all places and sensor might give red due this...?
-Mika-

Does the manual actually mention the blue light in your new one? I know it mentions it in mine, but my 2005 shows the blue light as I would expect it to

I dont have a manual for it, never came with one. I'm suspecting that the newer ones dont have the blue light, would be good if someone with a newer one that has the blue light could confirm.

I had same problem with my diesel micra and investigated, turns out the whole unit required replacing!!, other than the blue coolant light not coming on its no problem for me now, get one of the OBD2 monitors and will give you the exact read out of all parameters, never looked back since. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174738474132 ;)

My micra is a 2006 1.5 diesel sports, and yes it did have a blue coolant light untill one day its stopped coming on, also the outside temp readout also did not work, I remember it caused some annoyance at the time as the diesel in cold weather takes ages to warm up, these lights and readouts are due to the instrument cluster electronics, I remember at the time was this a coolant/engine faults, but the OBD2 monitor checks the live feeds from the cpu and all was ok. so if you want to side line the problem of the instruments fix up a monitor and its worry free after that, and if anything should be faulty you will be informed instantly by the monitor.(y)

The 2008 models are different to the earlier one, I know the key programming is completely different due to the NATS setup, not convinved the 2008 model should have the blue light unless someone with that or newer posts up a picture,

Yes that is probably right, however from a design point of view ,because the Micra lacks a temp gauge ( big mistake in my view) the circuits should glow up in one colour or another when cold and red when over temperature. The OBD2 monitor cuts out this problem and monitors the live feeds from the sensors.:)

The whole idea of changing light colours ito monitor engine temperature is fine when new, but as electronics age there is always some failures. OBD2 monitors add much needed live information and lets you know if there is a real concern or not. I recommend these to all Micra owners if there experiencing fluctuating faults.:)

I dont have a manual for it, never came with one. I'm suspecting that the newer ones dont have the blue light, would be good if someone with a newer one that has the blue light could confirm.
I have a 2009 Micra and have never seen any blue light. The red light shortly turns on and goes off.
Has anyone said differently so far?

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
I have a 2009 Micra and have never seen any blue light. The red light shortly turns on and goes off.
Has anyone said differently so far?
On the 2006 Micra 160SR of mine, blue led lights up when engine is started. It switches off, when normaal operating temperature has been reached.
Red led light came on once, when serpentine belt broke off and coolant pump stopped circulation.