DAMNITZORST!!WHYUBSOLOUD!?!

Hey guys, me again...

Had my 421 decat to sportex on for a few days now but it's deafeningly loud. Loving the BHP increase, sounds amazing when it hits the right air/fuel/power band too.
It has an amazing rasp to it and overall it sounds great. The problem is its too loud at motorway speeds and pulling away.

I've ordered a new second cat, which should bring the DBs down a bit. (Might sell the decat if its better)

Also having to use an exhaust strap cable tied to the fr anti roll bar as the exhaust is resting on it. I could do with hanging it again... Would this be causing excessive sound in the car? All the added vibration and what not...

Been thinking about getting some sound deadening for the boot and back seats. Any idea how well this stuff works? Would it be worth doing the bonnet too?

If the exhaust or hangers are secured to the car without rubber mounts eg, jubilee clips, then yes it will resonate through the whole car making it silly loud inside.

I Have the same setup, Janspeed 4-2-1, decat, middle pipe and an almost new sportex and its loud as expected!!! i aint complaining, just enjoy the neigbours complaint :D

J

Had the cat fitted this morning and its way quieter!!

It was blowing like a mother from the decat. Also wrapped the joint at the backbox with some wire wool to stop the rattle and that has helped too. Getting a bar fitted on Wednesday for the centre pipe to stop it from bashing the anti roll bar.

I can now drive around my street without fear of pissing my elderly neighbours off! Huzzah!

Ahh man and mines a decat into sportex. I can safely say yes the sounbd deadening works :) my boot is filled, All 4 doors and boot lid has been done, Under bonnet has been done, and I have a few sheets left to do under the rear seats :) I haven't heard how loud mine is properly as I currently have an exhaust blow between the cat pipe and downpipe where one of the bolts wont do up to hold it tight, So ill be modding it tomorrow to make it work,

It all depends on what you want, I love my ashley exhaust, only 1 box in system and its backbox, popping and vrooming even tho when the phone rings I gotta pull over and switch off the engine to hear anything!,:( mayb im just old n deaf):)

HAHA I mean mine is loud but so long as im driving normally I can still hear a phone convo over the stereo and people can see me, My dads the only one that says he can hear the car but that's only when I welly it :) I think the additional sound deadening mainly used for the sound system and to block out some road noise makes a big difference :)

Updates on this, it was blowing at every point haha. Sorted that with some gaskets and I had to chop and weld the backbox pipe to pull the joint away from the heat shield on the fuel tank.

Sounds great, no rattles and boy does it pull over 4krpm.

Back