CVT Filter

Hey.

I've been advised I need to change the CVT filter at the same time as the ATF otherwise it would just make the new stuff dirty.

I've tried parts places but no-one seems to do it and Nissan want about £85 for it.

Any idea where I could get one for a better price? I've tried ebay but there's nowt listed.

Cheers.

Who advised this?
Some cars have an oil filter type arrangement which must be changed at the specified interval but the K11 doesnt have this.
If you remove the CVT units 'sump' there is a filter/strainer type thing held on by 3 10mm bolts. Its not a 5 minute job to change, in any case it is filled with wire gauze rather than a paper element.

I would change the trans fluid and leave it at that, if its not broke, dont fix it!

If you are changing your fluid because its contaminated with water (Looks like Strawberry milkshake rather than raspberry sauce) you need to flush it out after fixing the leak. Never had to do this on a Micra but we done a Merc S class a few weeks ago and used 18 litres of ATF!

Remember also to check the fluid level with the engine at normal operating temp with the shifter in neutral.

It was a mechanic who suggested this.

The filter is outside the sump near the CVT dipstick and has CVT written largely on top of it. A phonecall to Nissan confirm it is the CVT filter and costs and arm and a leg, hence my looking for a more cost effective alternative.

Ive checked our service schedules and and doesn't state that the filter ever needs to be changed just the oil in the CVT box? (i work for Nissan btw)

Interesting Kris.

A few people around the net have said their oil became very dirty again very quickly when the filter wasn't changed.

It's hard to know what to listen to.

The filter obviously serves a purpose and should be changed at some point. Its just good practice to change them and to be fair £80 for a filter is steep but not if it lasts another 9 years.

I dont think changing the filter on its own will be enough.
When you say the oil is dirty again what do you mean?

ATF becomes brown with age but it will become brown quicker if the gearbox is running hot.

Dirty oil as in it has 'bits' in it could be something breaking up inside the box.

If it looks like Milkshake (like I mentioned earlier) you need to address the water leak.

Or it could just be old oil mixing with the new.

If you put new oil through the old filter its not going to look as nice as it did but its not going to turn to brown sludge instantly! It should still be a dark red colour.

Back