CVT ATF replacement

madmezza

Ex. Club Member
I changed my ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) yesterday. No problems - just wanted to say that it was really easy and if anyone else wants/needs to do it then it's not a complicated task.

The capacity of the box and filter is supposed to be 4.2 litres, but I only needed to replace just under 2 litres (yes - I realise that all hasn't been changed and I intend to do another swap in a few thousand miles just to clean things out).

Basically, warm up the car (10 minutes driving) then you jack up the front of the car and support on axle stands under the sills. Undo the 17mm nut at the bottom of the transmission and give it 10 minutes for all the gunk to flow out.

Replace the nut - you might need to change the washere here. Then pour the same amount of fluid into the dipstick hole for the gearbox - I need to fabricate a funnel out of the bit of A4 sized plastic for this as it's quite a long way down and without taking the battery/fuseboxes out you won't get a normal funnel down.

Once refilled, you let the engine idle for 5 minutes, then (and this is why you need to jack up the car) run the engine up to 30mph slowly then drop back to 0. Repeat this twice (the first time I did this, I don't think the wheels span, but I kindof expected this as the fluid is required for the box to work).

Then check the level and top up if necessary.

I've just done 150 miles this morning and all is well.

Rich

Make sure you dont do what i did.......
overfill it :S
it went bang and blew its load all over the A414. the golf behind me wasnt that happy.

####e. How much did you overfill it by - I did overfill, but only by about 100-150ml - it's slightly over the top of the high mark, and I have 75 miles to get home tonight and no spanners!!

How much was the fluid and from where? It's next on my list after getting the f'ing brushes out to check the wear on them.

after reading this i checked the level in the car and its well over the top level.

hope hast damaged anything and i take it will need to drain some asap.

thanks

I drained about 200ml of fluid after reading this - 2 minute job (you need a 17mm spanner and a cup to catch the fluid in!)

Fluid was Dexron III from Halfords: 1 litre was £7. I bought 4 litres as the capacity of the box, filter etc is 4.2 litres and wasn't sure how much I'd have to change - as it was I changed about 1800ml. I'll do it again in 10k miles or so I guess...

madmezza said:
I drained about 200ml of fluid after reading this - 2 minute job (you need a 17mm spanner and a cup to catch the fluid in!)

Fluid was Dexron III from Halfords: 1 litre was £7. I bought 4 litres as the capacity of the box, filter etc is 4.2 litres and wasn't sure how much I'd have to change - as it was I changed about 1800ml. I'll do it again in 10k miles or so I guess...
Groovy. Is it possible to change the whole lot at once or can u only get a limited amount out in one go?

I think with the drain method you can only change what's in the "sump" of the gearbox, which in my case was a little under 2 litres.

I've read bits about siphoning the oil out from the top, in which case you get most of it out it seems. However, I was a little concerned about this method, so I stuck with draining.

I would suggest that resonably frequency changes (Haynes say 27000 miles, but I'm going to do mine every 10-15k miles) shoudl keep the box in good nick. Apparently, one of the biggest killers of auto boxes is old ATF.

As for the type - you can use Dexron IIE or Dexron III (or compatible) fluids according to the Haynes manual. I figured Dexron III was better (not quite sure of the difference - I think the III is completely synthetic and the II/IIE is semi-synthetic). Also, Halfords happened to have enough Dextron III in stock - I think it was Castrol brand that I got.

Rich

Dexron III is the best to use. i would not recommend other dexron grades as the CVT box is very tempramental little thing and expensive to replace if things mess up.

Back