CVT advice?

Hi

Been driving my 2000 micra for a few weeks now and have nearly put a 1000 miles on it. Its got a full service hist, 1 owner plus demo and has 32k on the clock.

Im used to a traditional auto box, and was wondering if it is normal for the CVT to be slightly jerky at low speeds? Also when trying to take gaps on busy roundabouts there is a slight delay before being shot out in to on coming traffic (Quite scary when not ready for it loL!) but now plan my gap taking :)

Ive found that i need to apply pressure very smoothly and evenly to the acccelerator other wise it feels like a slipping clutch. Could just be normal CVT driving but would be interested to see what other peoples experiances are with them.

No warning lights or anything.

Otherwise its a great car and i love it, cant belive ive been driving big volvos all these years and never tried the micra!

cheers
James

when i drove baguete,s cvt one it felt like the belt was slipping sometimes james (tho he drove it to portugal, so must,ve been ok)
and i find it safer and smoother to use both feet personally :)

Yeah, it has a bit of delay, if you want it to be a bit faster, just engage Ds and kick hard on the accelerator... :grinning:

Thanks for the advice, I think it must just be a CVT characteristic,.
Great tip on using Ds for quicker acceleration , Ill give that a go when next out.

Thanks

James

Sometimes if the kickdown and throttle cables are too slack/tight it can cause the car to stick in 2nd gear.
When you slow down at roundabouts etc. the car tries to stall but the throttle body tries to fight it causing jerkiness.

Might be worth a quick check?

Cvt doesnt use gears as it continuous variable transmission? And it runs with belts and cones sorta! The daf cvt is amazing!

Back