cv joint

Hi Guys,I have been reading through the 'how to change cv joint' posts and from what I can gather the joint is easier to get off in the vice so popping whole shaft out of gearbox is the way to go? should it just pull out? If I jack the passenger side high enough will it be ok and not lose gearbox oil,mine is the later (51 plate) facelift edition so again from reading posts is easy enough to refil gearbox if I do lose any oil,finally,when knocking cv off shaft will it damage the end clip? I have a new clip with the cv kit so will fit as matter of course,its my first cv joint being a rwd car owner all of my life!! wish me luck guys!!
Sorry,one more question,what stops the driveshaft going too far into the box is there a clip on the gearbox end?

Hi Guys,I have been reading through the 'how to change cv joint' posts and from what I can gather the joint is easier to get off in the vice so popping whole shaft out of gearbox is the way to go? should it just pull out? If I jack the passenger side high enough will it be ok and not lose gearbox oil,mine is the later (51 plate) facelift edition so again from reading posts is easy enough to refil gearbox if I do lose any oil,finally,when knocking cv off shaft will it damage the end clip? I have a new clip with the cv kit so will fit as matter of course,its my first cv joint being a rwd car owner all of my life!! wish me luck guys!!
Sorry,one more question,what stops the driveshaft going too far into the box is there a clip on the gearbox end?

Quicker & easy to leave the shaft on the vehicle & simply tap the cv joint off the shaft as per following tutorial video. Tap the joint off & knock the new cv Joint back on the shaft in one hour, job done.
Kiss factor!

Reference;

Just changed cv joint,much easier to do than I expected, would have liked a positve 'click' to know joint was fitted correctly but I couldn't pull it back off after I had tapped it on, took the car up the road and all seems well, thanks for your help plmval, MOT next, I'll let you know how I get on.

Just changed cv joint,much easier to do than I expected, would have liked a positve 'click' to know joint was fitted correctly but I couldn't pull it back off after I had tapped it on, took the car up the road and all seems well, thanks for your help plmval, MOT next, I'll let you know how I get on.

Easy job done.

I have only ever replaced a cv boot once as the local rip off garages took the mick quoting £120 & another garage £100, money for old rope???????????????

The job took me two hours as a novice on my knees but well worth the experience with the tutorial video help plus my money stayed in my pocket. A win win! ;)

Easy job done.

I have only ever replaced a cv boot once as the local rip off garages took the mick quoting £120 & another garage £100, money for old rope???????????????

The job took me two hours as a novice on my knees but well worth the experience with the tutorial video help plus my money stayed in my pocket. A win win! ;)

If you take the disc off, cut the old boot off, then clamp grips onto the driveshaft you can then tap it free from the CV, then all you need to remove are the 2 strut bolts, then you can put a new boot on.

If you take the disc off, cut the old boot off, then clamp grips onto the driveshaft you can then tap it free from the CV, then all you need to remove are the 2 strut bolts, then you can put a new boot on.

Thanks for that shortcut!
Leave the CV joint in the hub & just tap the shaft toward the gearbox. I would not have thought of that? If I ever have to do another boot I will remember that & give it a go. :)

Welding completed (burns to prove it) and 12 months MOT for my troubles.Changed the Heater resister so now have 3 speeds blowing on the fan,changed from 14" to 13" wheels (bought 4 steels with near new tyres for £40!! Happy Days.

The old Micra still running sweet as a nut,Mrs using it for work and loves it,Lexus sat on drive doing nothing,the difference in fuel consumption is staggering....does anyone know what type of roof rack will fit the Micra,I'm hoping its the old retro type....lol