Cutting Springs

Hey I want to lower my k11 micra but i have no money so i decided i wil take a chance and cut my springs, how many coils do you recomend cutting off? (I want my car to be slammed)

p.s. Please don't take this as a serious suggestion. This is by far the worst example of how to work with an angle grinder.

p.p.s. I once saw here a detailed thread on how much coils to cut for optimum drop. Couldn't find it though, maybe someone else can remember.

Sent from mountain cave using pigeon post

Remember that if you go too low (iirc 40mm+ lower) then standard, you'll encounter issues with the panhard rod going out of line (to the right I think).

Adjustable/modified rod or bushes will be needed, affecting your budget..

Personally I'm not a fan of cutting springs - but I'm not going to preach - its your car, your choice!

The biggest problem you'll get cutting too many coils off the rear springs, is that they become uncaptive which causes safety issues and mot failures. Shorter dampers are required to alleviate this issue from the Corsa B.

Two was the most i could take off back and with the car fully jacked up its slightly loose, not enough to be fully uncaptive though

p.s. Please don't take this as a serious suggestion. This is by far the worst example of how to work with an angle grinder.

p.p.s. I once saw here a detailed thread on how much coils to cut for optimum drop. Couldn't find it though, maybe someone else can remember.

Sent from mountain cave using pigeon post

Apart from being dangerous as f*** hes damaging the coils above and below

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Cut a bit, if it's not low enough, cut some more. Keep the spring captive at the front by drilling some small holes in the upper and lower seat and wrapping with stainless wire to keep the springs in the cups. At the back use shorter corsa B shocks or fit droop straps to stop the axle dropping too far.

DSC_0954.JPG
DSCF1097.jpg
DSC_0954.JPG
DSCF1097.jpg

I can't believe people would cut springs full stop.
If you can't afford to lower the car then keep it safe and do it when you can afford to do so.
Buy dedicated lowering springs at least.
People have done it and got away with it but I personally would never recommend cutting springs to anyone on any car.

I can't believe people would cut springs full stop.
If you can't afford to lower the car then keep it safe and do it when you can afford to do so.
Buy dedicated lowering springs at least.
People have done it and got away with it but I personally would never recommend cutting springs to anyone on any car.

Also, from what I hear, it can end badly if you hit a pothole...

andy

Ex. Club Member
2015, nearly 2016,:eek: and people still cutting corners cutting springs, ffs lads go buy the proper parts for ya cars, and be safe rather than sorry.

OP
OP
I
Ok i decided to cut 3 coils off the front and the back. i then jb welded the rear coils on to the axel so they didnt fall out. i am going to cut 1 more coil of the front as i really want stupidly low.

OP
OP
I
and yes everyone i know its stupid but i don't have to drive it as im only 15 and i only paid £300 for the car. i just want to learn a bit about cars so when i get my daily i will know how to do basics mods and repairs to it

The jb weld will break as soon as its driven. Also the springs are still uncaptive with full travel. This is dangerous, and an mot fail. If you want to learn about cars, then learn bout doing it correctly. Put shorter dampers in the rear to secure the springs. ie. Corsa B ones.

OP
OP
I
So i know have 5 coils cut from the front a 3 cut from the back. Car drives fine untill you get up to about 80mph and then i hops around a bit. instead of jb welding them in i just cable tied them in and nothing has been a problem. And I went to get the mot renewed and it didn't fail on the cut springs but because of them it did fail on the headlamps aiming to low. Cut springs are mint.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
No such thing as uncaptive at the rear lol..... use big cable ties and secure it to the axle.

As long as the spring reseats again after full deflection theyre not an mot failure.

How do you think long travel landrovers do it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Your rear alignment must be dreadful!

Cable ties are for small repairs to noncritical components. Not securing suspension. It may not be an MOT fail, but it doesn't make it a sensible idea either.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
Youve no idea what sized cable ties i use...

They have a tensile strength close to that of steel locking wire. Theyre 1/4" thick airforce supplied ties....

Also... tying the spring to the bottom arm with string is just as safe as its non load bearing...non shear and non critical..... its just a locating system..

Lets not forget they have NOTHING as standard..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk