Cutting springs..

Only a quick one..i couldnt find anything definate on it though there are loads of people who have done it..if there is something, can somebody point me in the right direction? Im just wondering if anyone has the amount lower my car will be depending on the amount of coils i cut off ? e.g 1 coil = ?, 2 coils = ?

Cheers guys

Louis

Hello mate, if you wanna be sent in right direction dont ask here about cutting springs. Its like an antichrist to some people. I think its perfectly fine to cut your springs as soon as you do it properly. You need to secure them in. It all depends how low you wanna go. Its usually cutting more coils on fronts. I dont wanna point you in the right directions cos Im just gonna get slagged off for it, but if you search enough you will find cars with cut springs on the site. good luck

OP
OP
louismop1
Hello mate, if you wanna be sent in right direction dont ask here about cutting springs. Its like an antichrist to some people. I think its perfectly fine to cut your springs as soon as you do it properly. You need to secure them in. It all depends how low you wanna go. Its usually cutting more coils on fronts. I dont wanna point you in the right directions cos Im just gonna get slagged off for it, but if you search enough you will find cars with cut springs on the site. good luck

Haha totally understand mate..ive gathered its abit of a funny subject..cheers for replying so quick anyways ill do some more searching, see what i can find

frank

Club Member
lol yes, dont get stirring up the hornets nest again eh :p
and its not that simple louis, because of the pre-load in the springs (ie, you have to compress the front ones a couple of inches before you can remove them)
here,s a pic of my rear springs with only about 5 coils left (and the p/rod virtually horizontal, and an offset bush which shortens the p/rod by 8mm)
attachment.php

OP
OP
louismop1
lol yes, dont get stirring up the hornets nest again eh :p
and its not that simple louis, because of the pre-load in the springs (ie, you have to compress the front ones a couple of inches before you can remove them)
here,s a pic of my rear springs with only about 5 coils left (and the p/rod virtually horizontal, and an offset bush which shortens the p/rod by 8mm)
attachment.php

lol i thought i might get some hammer for asking..but its ultimately up to me what i do with my car..Ive got some spring compressors and the angle grinder..so im ready to role, it was just the amount i was after i was going to use the money i saved on springs to buy an adjustable panhard rod..unless theres a way to use the stock one with some modding..not looked into that either! thanks for the pic aswell frank (Y)

frank

Club Member
you have to shorten the shocks on the rear tho (or source shorter ones) or else the shorter spring wont be secure when the car is lifted :eek:

attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC11183.JPG
    SDC11183.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 420
OP
OP
louismop1
you have to shorten the shocks on the rear tho (or source shorter ones) or else the shorter spring wont be secure when the car is lifted :eek:

attachment.php

Right got it, dont want to sound like a novice but does this mean im going to have to but shorter ones? or is it something i can mod my standard ones to do? as always theres a 1st time for everything and this is one haha

frank

Club Member
Right got it, dont want to sound like a novice but does this mean im going to have to but shorter ones? or is it something i can mod my standard ones to do? as always theres a 1st time for everything and this is one haha

the one in the pic is modded with a spacer tube to effectively shorten it (the pic is from my blog)
so if your springs are,nt properly seated and fully secure, then they are,nt safe imo fwn

OP
OP
louismop1
the one in the pic is modded with a spacer tube to effectively shorten it (the pic is from my blog)
so if your springs are,nt properly seated and fully secure, then they are,nt safe imo fwn

Cheers for the help frank ill have a look through your blog now..im doing it wednesday so ill have to have a look at what i can do to make it safe if not ill keep the springs standard length..