cuts out when cold

Hi all,
Just joined the site due to my wifes car having a problem and not having a clue as to what it is (and i use it to get to work)

Problem is, when cold it has started to run a bit lumpy and can just cut out- even whilst in motion. At junctions the idle drops right off and then picks back up to just under 1krpm. Once it is warm this problem seems to dissappear, but the other night trundling along it suddenly took off without any extra right foot as if it were a new car!! I have noticed almost as if there is a lacking of power. There is no clutch slip.
Any ideas ?

curtis

Ex. Club Member
maybe....idle control system, or this all ecu stuff.....maybe resetting the ecu?
some k12 person will let you know what you need to do....

Thanks for that, sounds like its going to have to come out of Santa's pocket, or is it something I can do ?
Anyone else got any ideas?

curtis

Ex. Club Member
if the ecu needs resetting then its cheap to do....either £15-30 or i think there is a a post on here which shows how to do it for free....

but wait until someone comfirms this problem first before anything, because it could be something quite simple like the airbox has come loose or something.....

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
when was the last time the micra was serviced?sounds like it needs one mate if you dont know , get it done as it can make a lot of difference to your motor

perhaps it could be the timing chain. I remember my micra developing such issues, and it went from bad to worst.
unfortunately it can be an expensive trip to the garage.

My micra was not serviced properly yet I have to change the chain at 36k miles. I have read others who's cars were serviced properly had to change the chain at a even lower mileage, 14 k was what I read on these forums for a properly serviced car.

but take it to a good reputable garage if nissan is somethign you wish to miss

My wife's car has exactly the same symptoms. She told me it was bad, but I've borrowed it today and it's worse than I imagined. It stalled about 10 times in 20 minutes.

My observations:

When slowing down in gear, as the engine speed reduces towards 1000rpm, the engine power will often die before the car comes to a halt.

With the clutch in, the revs may drop to almost nothing, but engine may recover its idle speed before a complete stall.

It appears to me that there could be some sort of delay in the signal processing which, at low engine speed, causes enough of an error to result in a momentary loss of power. I'd assumed that were was a sensor fault, but the mention of stretched timing chains is a bit concerning.

Is the 'cam chain fault' likely to be incorrect valve timing causing power loss, or just a confused cam/crank sensor?

Where is the air metering sensor? -I couldn't find an obvious MAF.

I'd heard that 'cracks' in the airbox can cause the same symptoms. If this is a genuine possibility, where are these 'cracks' likely to occur?

ps. Yes, it has been properly serviced and looked after.

Quote from MC Bodge "I'd heard that 'cracks' in the airbox can cause the same symptoms. If this is a genuine possibility, where are these 'cracks' likely to occur?"

Hi all, car still not running well, exactly as you describe MC B, only thing is now it is running lumpy and lacks power when under load. On the flat with moderate right root it is ok.
Over Xmas I changed the spark plugs, just on the off chance (no improvement) and noticed that two of the four "christmas tree" type gaskets at the rear on the underneath of the air cleaner case assembly have been damaged and split.
Could this be my problem?
Does anyone know the part number and where I might get a set?

noticed that two of the four "christmas tree" type gaskets at the rear on the underneath of the air cleaner case assembly have been damaged and split.

What do you mean by Christmas Tree gaskets?

The other day I removed the inlet trumpet and fully blocked the airbox hole. The engine still ran, even beyond 3000rpm -air must be getting in somewhere.