custom mount for alternator

I have made it to fit my k11 and looks ok
tujese2u.jpg

Is this now bolted to the engine at the bottom of the alternator? with the top bracket now bolted to the car body behind the grill?

If you have you are basically making the alternator into a solid engine mount to the chassis.

I imagine the vibration / engine movement will cause one of those welds to crack or some metal to tear (especially with this being a turbo build).

Also not sure what the vibration into the drivers headlight will be like.

clean up the faces of the materials you are welding together, and use gas if you can. You'll get a much neater and stronger finish.
Yeh it looks ok and holds good and gona put a strong rod to hold it in place I got a belt what fits bang on with it in place too sorted
ebupu7eq.jpg

Yes top is mounted near the head light and bottom with in place as normal 14mm bolts
5ade5a3u.jpg
ubyvu8u9.jpg
aqu6upev.jpg
e7y8yduv.jpg

frank I welded it all up and longer belt spot on then it pulled back tight on. Frank do I mount top on engine too ?

If I'm reading that right to tension the belt your just bending the metalwork on the front of the car?! And not running a tensioner?

As soon as you rev ut the metals going to bend back and the belt will slacken!

If I'm reading that right to tension the belt your just bending the metalwork on the front of the car?! And not running a tensioner?

As soon as you rev ut the metals going to bend back and the belt will slacken!
No I have mount it on bottom two bolts as normal and I still have my tensions so I can lock belt in tight will make a rod to hold from engine to alternator so it's more stronger

I dont doubt you haven't but the theory is the same behind each build. If you've done a micra especially ?
I have done a micra but I didn't custom the alternater in any way or weld mounts? Am just on a big turbo that needs custom alternator belts and moving stuff

I dont doubt you haven't but the theory is the same behind each build. If you've done a micra especially ?
I have done a micra but I didn't custom the alternater in any way or weld mounts? Am just on a big turbo that needs custom alternator belts and moving stuff abt

I like this sort of engineering, but doubt that will hold...... Talking of custom mounts has anyone made alloy alt mounts before the bottom mount especially is very heavy cast iron.

I like this sort of engineering, but doubt that will hold...... Talking of custom mounts has anyone made alloy alt mounts before the bottom mount especially is very heavy cast iron.

Not heard of an alloy one but Frank put one of his on a diet & halved the weight (if i remember right)

azzy rather than bolting the (moving) alternator top to the chassis (which will eventually fail), instead why not just join the alternator to the upper mount on the engine with a beefy extension like on mine (so the alternator moves/vibrates with the engine)

dsc08378ds.jpg

and then use the tensioner as shown here

61380219.jpg

azzy rather than bolting the (moving) alternator top to the chassis (which will eventually fail), instead why not just join the alternator to the upper mount on the engine with a beefy extension like on mine (so the alternator moves/vibrates with the engine)

dsc08378ds.jpg

and then use the tensioner as shown here

61380219.jpg
Thanks polly but mine is not air con model can I stil do it like urs but pull belt back

Back