Custom center console

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Fair enough. Would you say they have lots of travel? If they do, I might go for something a tad bit soft than what I'm running atm maybe 600-800lb? I guess I can only try but its an expensive route :eek:
Not lots of travel but just enough :)
You can do but I'd still recommend you go get it corner weighted so it can be setup properly. So you'll get the right spring weights. I can help where I can but without knowing the cars weight I'm stuck

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Not lots of travel but just enough :)
You can do but I'd still recommend you go get it corner weighted so it can be setup properly. So you'll get the right spring weights. I can help where I can but without knowing the cars weight I'm stuck

I'm not really sure what corner weighted really is but is that something any garage can do? And is it an expensive process?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I'm not really sure what corner weighted really is but is that something any garage can do? And is it an expensive process?
Not any garage can do it because you need the scales and a bloke with an IQ in triple figures

Corner weighting is where;
1 - The car gets weighed on a set of unique scales
2 - Then measure the weight of each corner
3 - Coilovers are adjusted so the weight is balanced over all 4 corners
4 - Ratios are calculated and weights noted. Spring rates are calculated from there as a raw handling progressive.
5 - Shock adjustments then fine tune the motion of the springs to optimise grip :)
6 - repeat 4&5 as necessary to satisfy driving style and use

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
watch the elise/exige episode of wheeler dealers, Ed China does it on that program and explains it in double digit IQ language ;)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Not any garage can do it because you need the scales and a bloke with an IQ in triple figures

Corner weighting is where;
1 - The car gets weighed on a set of unique scales
2 - Then measure the weight of each corner
3 - Coilovers are adjusted so the weight is balanced over all 4 corners
4 - Ratios are calculated and weights noted. Spring rates are calculated from there as a raw handling progressive.
5 - Shock adjustments then fine tune the motion of the springs to optimise grip :)
6 - repeat 4&5 as necessary to satisfy driving style and use

Yeah I can understand that. Will have to do some research to where this can be done ;) Cheers once again for all the help.
Went out today for a real drive, first since I've had the coilovers on and the parcel shelf popped right off after a bump in the road :p
Think I'm gonna do my back in! Although I have noticed that the front feels completely fine with how it is, however the rear seems to take a beating with any bump. At the moment from what I can feel when driving its the rear thats to solid, went over a speed bump at 5mph and that was still to much!!! :confused:

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Because the rear of your car is almost half the weight of the front so doesn't have the weight to compress the spring... so you get bump bash smash :p

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Because the rear of your car is almost half the weight of the front so doesn't have the weight to compress the spring... so you get bump bash smash :p

Haha yeah I can't believe I didn't even think of that. Now you said it I feel stupid :oops: haha.
Now because of that silly comment I may just start with the rear if I can't find anywhere close to me that will do the corner weights

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Haha yeah I can't believe I didn't even think of that. Now you said it I feel stupid :oops: haha.
Now because of that silly comment I may just start with the rear if I can't find anywhere close to me that will do the corner weights
Don't worry about it. I've not met anyone yet that has worked that out

Good lucl finding a place. If not I'll help where I can :)

Scrapyard as strange as it sounds. Put it on their weight bridge and just ask for the weight of your car
Can help more then :)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Don't worry about it. I've not met anyone yet that has worked that out

Good lucl finding a place. If not I'll help where I can :)

Scrapyard as strange as it sounds. Put it on their weight bridge and just ask for the weight of your car
Can help more then :)

Ok will give that a shot if I can't find anything. Cheers matey ;)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Sorry to be a pain guys...
I had a misunderstanding with the units on the springs, I overheard they were measured in lbs which I was lead to believe but in-fact I now believe they are measured in N/m meaning that each spring is around 752 lbs/ft. So I'm guessing those helper springs will be measured in the same way totaling at 73 lbs/ft. But I need to double check this so don't take my word.
I haven't been able to find anything close to be in terms of corner weighting and same goes for weighing the car.
With that being said I was thinking of buying a pair of 350 lbs springs and trying them on the rear and if I find them to stiff to stick them on the front and go for something softer on the rear.
Also I'm not sure if its down to new spring or maybe a bad job of the coilovers being put in (had someone do it for me as I didn't have the tools) but the rear is squeaky as f**k!!!! Only the rear, any ideas?

OP
OP
Sdperkins
As for your springs I've never known springs be measured in Nm.
Only lb/in and kg/mm
Helper springs are usually 100lb/in

Well thats what the engineers told me :confused: I need to check the paper work and see if it says what units it is. And how could I fix the squeaky noise from the rear, just worried it might be damaging something

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
1 N/m = 9810kg/mm, doesn't seem right somehow! And Nm is a moment not a spring constant...
Edit: Realised my mistake, corrected in a later post!

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Well thats what the engineers told me :confused: I need to check the paper work and see if it says what units it is. And how could I fix the squeaky noise from the rear, just worried it might be damaging something
Engineers may measure them in Nm.. that's the standard physics measurements I think

But in terms of what I use em for they're never measured in Nm... but if that's right it could change a few things... I only tested the shocks (amateur mistake)

How is the rear mounted?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
1N/m = 9.81kg/m
9.81kg/m = 0.00981kg/mm [1000th the unit, 1000th the number :)]
1386614079200.jpg
That was easier

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Haha you guys going back and forth :D
Erm haven't really had a good look but it looks like its using the old rubbers and just that nut on the top? I may be wrong, is there another way its meant to be mounted? I'm guessing its the same way the stock suspension unit was held there?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Haha you guys going back and forth :D
Erm haven't really had a good look but it looks like its using the old rubbers and just that nut on the top? I may be wrong, is there another way its meant to be mounted? I'm guessing its the same way the stock suspension unit was held there?
Mine has the top cup, nut, old rubber (mount in place) another rubber, cap and nut

I think :p

h701micra

Deactivated Account
It did :) I will try and have a look tomorrow how the rear suspension is holding otherwise do you think I should go back to the engineer that done it for me and get it looked at? Coz it is bloody annoying!!
If you've paid to have it done... take it back and get what you paid for :)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Got my car seen to. Found out its the shocks themselves that are causing the squeaking noises. Running a little dry I was told. Added some WD-40 to them and its back to being silent :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Got my car seen to. Found out its the shocks themselves that are causing the squeaking noises. Running a little dry I was told. Added some WD-40 to them and its back to being silent :)
If a shock was running dry it would be knackeredddddd :p
Sounds like your seals have dried out
Get some grease put on em :)