Custom center console

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Just a little update...
Sadly my car has been broken into earlier this week and they have taken my sub and sat nav.
Waiting for police to turn up and do some finger print searching.
Screwed up my passenger door, now I got two screwed up doors.
Looks like I need to re-enforce both door pillars so they can't bend it open.
Also looked like they tried taking the car, but thanks to the trust steering wheel lock, they got no where with it.
Great start of the day I must say..... :(

Just a little update...
Sadly my car has been broken into earlier this week and they have taken my sub and sat nav.
Also looked like they tried taking the car, but thanks to the trust steering wheel lock, they got no where with it.
Gutted for you mate :(

Just a little update...
Sadly my car has been broken into earlier this week and they have taken my sub and sat nav....

Dude that sucks :(
I hope the police find something useful (alot of these horrid folk that break into cars...do it often and are on record :rolleyes: statistically)
my brothers old Cavalier met that fate...the car was about to be scrapped anyway but that's not the point <_< they screwed up the door by bending it at the pillar to get in...and take nothing...
I guess if you get a new door, or just bend it back, you should be able to weld some kind of sheet metal or perhaps tube/box stuff to the reverse/interior...may affect the asthetics though :p

Hope your day gets better ;)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Dude that sucks :(
I hope the police find something useful (alot of these horrid folk that break into cars...do it often and are on record :rolleyes: statistically)
my brothers old Cavalier met that fate...the car was about to be scrapped anyway but that's not the point <_< they screwed up the door by bending it at the pillar to get in...and take nothing...
I guess if you get a new door, or just bend it back, you should be able to weld some kind of sheet metal or perhaps tube/box stuff to the reverse/interior...may affect the asthetics though :p

Hope your day gets better ;)
Yeah the outside looks ok, apart from the paint being cracked up.
On the inside you can see it all bent up. but I was thinking if the door could be taken apart then re-enforced so if someone tries this again, they shouldn't get far with it.

I'm trying to remember what the inside of my K10's doors looked like ^_^

there may only be space for a thin-ish piece to reinforce it with...you'll be adding weight too so making sure your hinges can take it would be a good idea...although
I guess you wouldn't have to go all the way up?...just something across the section where the window starts to prevent it from being able to bend there?...
...just doing it the old fashioned (less damaging way) by breaking a window was out of the question for them? :rolleyes:

ETA: looking at pics of your K10 (lovely BTW, makes me miss mine) you have the black trim on your pillar...you could hide something more solid there...and it won't necessarily look out of place..

It all comes down to paranoia + effort VS the actual likelihood this will happen again? :oops:

OP
OP
Sdperkins
I'm trying to remember what the inside of my K10's doors looked like ^_^

there may only be space for a thin-ish piece to reinforce it with...you'll be adding weight too so making sure your hinges can take it would be a good idea...although
I guess you wouldn't have to go all the way up?...just something across the section where the window starts to prevent it from being able to bend there?...
...just doing it the old fashioned (less damaging way) by breaking a window was out of the question for them? :rolleyes:

ETA: looking at pics of your K10 (lovely BTW, makes me miss mine) you have the black trim on your pillar...you could hide something more solid there...and it won't necessarily look out of place..

It all comes down to paranoia + effort VS the actual likelihood this will happen again? :oops:
They bent it at the black trim thats the part I would like to re-enforce but didn't think about the hinges and if they would cope with the extra weight. Thanks for pointing that out :) and thanks for the comments about the car :) well this is the second time this has happened now, once to the drivers door and now the passengers :(

They bent it at the black trim thats the part I would like to re-enforce but didn't think about the hinges and if they would cope with the extra weight. Thanks for pointing that out :) and thanks for the comments about the car :) well this is the second time this has happened now, once to the drivers door and now the passengers :(

You probably wouldn't have to put too much extra on there to make it not worth the hassle to a potential vandal but it would be worth making sure there's not gonna be future issues (weakening from rust etc)
...I guess if this is the second time then...Hmmm... might just be worth it ;)

it could be easy enough to simply change the black pillar trim for a black painted metal plate...?

OP
OP
Sdperkins
You probably wouldn't have to put too much extra on there to make it not worth the hassle to a potential vandal but it would be worth making sure there's not gonna be future issues (weakening from rust etc)
...I guess if this is the second time then...Hmmm... might just be worth it ;)

it could be easy enough to simply change the black pillar trim for a black painted metal plate...?
I was thinking of something a bit longer than just the black pillar, something like a thick square tube (in red on picture below)
doorpillar.png

Crappy picture but you get the idea, red being the extra support and green the area that was bent

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
yeh the doors strength,,,,,, same happen'd to me and my k10, sad thing is i had the alarm for 2 weeks and was lazy to fit it. and it was a full restore respray k10 i had done.

Damn sorry to hear it man ! Some people !

On the bright side you had your steering lock on! Bent door and stolen items is manageable, but to have your car taken would be a whole different ball game !

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Just a little update...

:(

Good that at least the cops are supposed to be coming, i know of two occasions where they couldn't be bothered to any proper checking. Fingers crossed they get something :)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Well the cops turned up and scanned the car for prints but they found out the people that did it had glove and they couldn't do anything. So now the car has all that finger print crap all over it o_O no sound system no more =[ sadly wont be getting a new one till I've moved from that area in-case the people come back for seconds. If I catch them... god knows what I'd do

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Well I wont be getting a sound system for some time until I've moved so just some work done to the out side.
20130401141759.jpg

20130401141745.jpg

Think they turned out nice, matches the front grill now.
Also looking into a car alarm :p tomorrow

I was thinking of something a bit longer than just the black pillar, something like a thick square tube (in red on picture below)
doorpillar.png

Crappy picture but you get the idea, red being the extra support and green the area that was bent

Yeah, that could work ;)
...alarm sounds like a good idea too ^_^

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Some extra stickers I had laying around went to good use today.
20130414145539.jpg

20130414145548.jpg

and some more sticker bombing on the inside...
20130414145608.jpg

bit hard to see from the reflection, but you all know what part that is ;)

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Whats happening with the centre console sdperkins, im wanting something similar for mine :)
Haha I've been so low on money I haven't had a chance to do anything and the alarm set me back a lot!! :( Lots of plans over the summer so hoping things will get a move on ;) Got a couple of mock ups but still designing atm

OP
OP
Sdperkins
You mean the one I got in the car atm? Nah I'm planning on changing it. It wasn't the best, looks alright in the photos but up close you can see things, well I know they are there coz I made it :p

OP
OP
Sdperkins
First thing I would do... Fit an alarm!!! :p Its easy to get into the K10. But yeah would be awesome to see what you come up with as I'm the only one I know whos done this :D

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Just a thought I'm playing with but would anyone be interested if I was to sell my alloys with the stretched tyres? I would be looking for £350 for the lot, haven't had them long, no damage to them and the wobble nuts would come with them. Would be maybe looking to do this over the summer but still playing around with the idea.

You should keep those wheels, they work well with the arch work you've done. I'm no sticker fan (probably 'cos I'm old) but it does work on your car, I think the monotone stickers in the front and rear windows compliment the colour scheme of the car.
Your centre console looks well made too. Years ago you could buy ready made consoles in car accessory shops, they were similar in design, two shaped pieces of wood (ply in those days) with a bit of trim to make them look a bit special!

OP
OP
Sdperkins
Cheers dude. Wish I could do more to the car but low on money, got loads of plans but can't make it any more than that just yet. The wheels ain't to bad but I'm not a huge fan of them any more and the offset is to much. I'm after something with a little bit more tuck so the car can sit lower but still look nice. Before I made that center console I was looking for something to buy but didn't come across anything, looking into making something a bit better soon I hope