Got the head back on etc see pics

Started it up today and it ran :D (Y)

Just got some fine tweeking to do

2e55rtz.jpg

v7bhu9.jpg

2vknu4h.jpg

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
There's a vid on YouTube of some guys revving a K10 in a scrappy until the engine blows up!
It's surprising how long it lasts!!

Keep it going dude!! Don't let us down! :D

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
"Running in" seems to be going ok

Bike carbs are slightly slower then the webers, but not by much

At 130miles so far :)

frank

Club Member
"Running in" seems to be going ok

Bike carbs are slightly slower then the webers, but not by much

At 130miles so far :)

nice one curtis :cool: , you could do with a wideband lambda sensor and voltmeter on the dash, to finetune those carbs, eh

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Not sure what that set up would allow me to see...could you explain a bit more Frank :)

They aren't good at low revs for power, but hey thats the whole point of dropping down a gear ;) lol

frank

Club Member
curtis

mine is just a narrowband setup, so it only gives a small window of air/fuel ratio (about 14.2:1 to 15.2:1 apparently) but it,s still usefull (albeit limited).
i think the 2 outer wires on the sensor are for 12 volts in, and pre-heater, and the middle wire outputs a voltage of 0 to 1v, (0.5v being 14.7:1 mixture).
a wideband sensor has a much wider range, but i think they,re a few bob tho o_O

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Wouldnt this mean putting a hole in my exhaust mani? dont think i wanna be doing that lol

Im quite happy with how they are atm its just trying to set-up the timing and idle! also the acc cable doesnt sit properly!!

superls

K10 Tuner
curtis

mine is just a narrowband setup, so it only gives a small window of air/fuel ratio (about 14.2:1 to 15.2:1 apparently) but it,s still usefull (albeit limited).
i think the 2 outer wires on the sensor are for 12 volts in, and pre-heater, and the middle wire outputs a voltage of 0 to 1v, (0.5v being 14.7:1 mixture).
a wideband sensor has a much wider range, but i think they,re a few bob tho o_O

i have a 4 wire sensor, but dint know the wiring, i think it has 3 white wires and 1 black, what wires does yours have?

frank

Club Member
curtis

you only have to screw the threaded insert out of a cg manifold, then weld it into your downpipe.
are the carbs variable venturi (with a rubber diaphram/dashpot thingy) ?

superls

mine,s 2 white,s and the middle black signal wire, i think the 4th white is an extra earth

frank

Club Member
Im pretty sure they are yes, as you can't turn them upside down with fuel in them otherwise the diaphram swells

i think the vv carbs are designed so that when you hit the throttle, the butterfly is wide open but the slide is delayed, which creates a high vacuum around the jet, adding extra fuel (acceleration enrichment).
so if yours has a flatspot when you floor it (if thats what you were saying), the slides might be lifting too early (maybe too soft springs or too much vacuum acting on the diaphram) ?

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
oo i'll have to have a play about with them..

Its basically a flatspot at low revs, but soon as its picked up the acceleration is really good, if not better then the webers

the webers were good for the whole rev range

frank

Club Member
curtis

dont forget those carbs were setup for a bike, with a lot less rotating mass, where the rev,s were climbing at a much higher rate (you could do with a super light flywheel really :cool: )
if that cam is a reprofile, it might need advancing ? ,it might bring the powerband down a bit, so you dont need to rag it all the time :p

superls

K10 Tuner
oo i'll have to have a play about with them..

Its basically a flatspot at low revs, but soon as its picked up the acceleration is really good, if not better then the webers

the webers were good for the whole rev range

exacty what mine did, if you flattened the throttle at say 2.5k not alot happened, actually it worked better if you didnt go the full way dowm, but when you reach 4k it took off then it was change gear time, same in a ll 4 gears i had at the time, lol

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Yep, pretty much it, nothing really happens at 2.5-3K but soon as 4k comes along its power all the way...lol

I do miss the webers now :(

But if i get the timing sorted and the idle etc done it should be ok

frank

Club Member
Nope...but im looking into getting one...

FFS, no wonder you,ve got no response till 4000 o_O .
i usually put some 2" masking tape over the bellmouth,s, then punch a 20mm hole in the middle (you should get instant throttle response then), then gradually open the holes up, to give some idea of jet size, needle setting, filter size and diaphram spring etc

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
lol ok i'll get somthing to do that, ill try the masking tape thing first and see how it responds :) Cheers Frank (Y)

superls

K10 Tuner
FFS, no wonder you,ve got no response till 4000 o_O .
i usually put some 2" masking tape over the bellmouth,s, then punch a 20mm hole in the middle (you should get instant throttle response then), then gradually open the holes up, to give some idea of jet size, needle setting, filter size and diaphram spring etc

lol calm down frank, i didnt have one either buts that cos i couldnt fit one in, my next set will have one tho, but will try the masking tape method also.

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
I lost my rassp...:( Think it went with the webers lol

So it was the carb set-up that created the rassp in the exhaust? How does that work?

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Yep, pretty much it, nothing really happens at 2.5-3K but soon as 4k comes along its power all the way...lol

I do miss the webers now :(

But if i get the timing sorted and the idle etc done it should be ok

told you so! didnt listen :p

powerband with the bike carbs is totally different to the webbers. i.e. sh*t!!!

the manifold design for the webbers was much better and infact the webbers were better in everyway as far as im concerned. some may not agree but unless youve tried both im not interested in your opinions :D

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
pfft you should have sold family members of limbs in order to keep those webbers! you'll likely never see another set again now. dedication to the cause my friend!

*or limbs!

Daveeeee wont be keeping them long, and i have first dibs on them ;)

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Dont think anyone would want my liver lol

errmmm Kidney?

Nah it should be fine, soon as i get my coilovers as well ;)

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
Beeing someone who has also now tried both the webers and bike carbs,, i agree with speedle, the webers are better, but they havent blown me away in comparison. pound for pound the bike carbs are prob better value, and if set up right, i think they could easily give the webers a run for there money.

frank

Club Member
curtis

"calm down frank" lol :D .
bear in mind the mainjet realy only governs the mixture at full throttle (or in the case of vv carb,s, slide fully up), and the tapered needle does most of the metering at smaller openings.
for example, the su carb,s (same vv setup) had only 1 mainjet size and hundred,s of different needle shapes.
and there,s no reason why the carb,s should,nt be at least as good as the webber,s, the carb,s and manifold have a short, straight inlet tract like any superbike or motorsport engine, perseverance will pay ;)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
Beeing someone who has also now tried both the webers and bike carbs,, i agree with speedle, the webers are better, but they havent blown me away in comparison. pound for pound the bike carbs are prob better value, and if set up right, i think they could easily give the webers a run for there money.

indeed i agree with you there dave, the webbers dont give alot more HP but they have a better power delivery and power curve IMO plus they are easier to tune and live with day to day :)

about time we had some updated pics of your project dave! :D

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
If it makes you feel better my standard carbs have a flatspot when i floor it, but without the added benefit of loads of power once its through! :)

superls

K10 Tuner
indeed i agree with you there dave, the webbers dont give alot more HP but they have a better power delivery and power curve IMO plus they are easier to tune and live with day to day :)

about time we had some updated pics of your project dave! :D

not having tried the webbers i cant base my opinion on complete fact, but i never found my bike carbs hard to live with day to day.

ok the maunal choke was a bit of a pain after the standard auto, but the webbers have this also?

same with the idle up thing.

and with a 50-50 driving style i could still return between 35-37 mpg, (dont know wot the webbers do??

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
I havent even hooked the manual choke up on the bike carbs yet, and its ran really good from cold, considering how cold its been!!

They arent as good on fuel as the webers imo

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
i never had to use the manual chock on them carbs and never had problems starting them, might be a different story tho when we hit january! as for mpg i cant accuratly say yet as the webers where jetted and tuned to curtis's ma12, i wont get a true picture of mpg untill their tuned to my engine and had some more use. but theres no way there worse than the bike carbs. 35mpg is prob the max on the bike carbs.

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
i never had to use the manual chock on them carbs and never had problems starting them, might be a different story tho when we hit january! as for mpg i cant accuratly say yet as the webers where jetted and tuned to curtis's ma12, i wont get a true picture of mpg untill their tuned to my engine and had some more use. but theres no way there worse than the bike carbs. 35mpg is prob the max on the bike carbs.

Yeah, sometimes it starts on the first turn, and sometimes you need a little throttle...but thats usually once they have been running for a while

I still need to get my locking wheel nuts off without the key, so gonna have another look tonight

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
I didnt sell it with the white alloys on

K10Franny is really loving the car lol, he wouldnt stop smiling :)

im glad he likes it so much and hes already planning a re-spray...

£900 was the price

GTI will be picked up Friday

Well chuffed with www.elephant.co.uk

Im insured on the almera GTI 2.0 1999 For £760 TPFT im 19 with 1 years no claims :D

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Getting my Red K10 MOT'd today :)

I must say after about a year and a half of driving my modded k10 and the almera, i hate the standard micra k10s suspension!! lol

nismo

Ex. Club Member
mate im lovin my new lower stiffer k10,its like another car,my wheels go off to be refurbed (black steelies)next week then my brand new yokahama adrives go on! IM LOVIN IT!

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
mate im lovin my new lower stiffer k10,its like another car,my wheels go off to be refurbed (black steelies)next week then my brand new yokahama adrives go on! IM LOVIN IT!

Yes i agree, i would now recommend anyone with a standard k10 to get uprated shocks and lowering springs...Does improve it a whole lot!!

OP
OP
curtis

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Anyone heard or seen any pics updates on my old white micra? K10franny is the members name who bought it from me..

That car had one amazing engine in it and would be a shame to waste it...i want it back lol :)