CTR or Celica T-sport?

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
I have finally saved up some money so i could buy a second car for the weekends. Before you guys flood me with different choices, i have narrowed it down to the Honda Civic Type R 02-04 plate and the Celica T-sport.

Both are great cars, not too expensive on petrol, insurance etc. but got enough power to put a smile on my face on the weekends.

I have already test drove and done thorough research on both models, the basic summary is that the CTR has a better engine, gearbox, more responsive and feels a lot faster while the look of a black celica win hands down, it would be a breath of fresh air from the hatchbacks.

just wondering what you guys think? join the debate:

coupe or hot hatch?
Speed or looks? etc etc :ghostface

civ type r all the way for me. but as benmicrasr stated, its upto. how much you thinking of paying mate if you dont mind me askin?

i know yea, im sorta stuck thats why i need someone to back up the claims.

Im prepared to pay about 12k, which is enough for a CTR 03-04 plate with low mileage but a same year celica would definitely have a fair bit of miles on it.

so 3 civics so far, give me some reasons too lads. i want to see if my assumption of both cars are right.

i dont know what it is but the fact that the toyota has more power per litre just does it for me lol and i look awesome

practically i think i would probably have the civic but aparantly you have to really hammer it to get it to go anywhere but if its for the weekend then thats okay i suppose

I'd go Yaris myself, CTR is a great car, but is surprisingly heavy and very low on torque below 6000 RPM - that said you can use a Jackson supercharger on it to give it some whoosh - Celica, nice car again, but same issue - dire pulling power at low revs, and not exactly light.

I'd be up for a Yaris T-Sport, small, perfectly formed! :D

As a side note I think of the CTR and the Celica as being in a slightly different catagory to "Hot-Hatch", just not entirely sure what that catagory is!

micracharge said:
I'd go Yaris myself, CTR is a great car, but is surprisingly heavy and very low on torque below 6000 RPM - that said you can use a Jackson supercharger on it to give it some whoosh - Celica, nice car again, but same issue - dire pulling power at low revs, and not exactly light.

I'd be up for a Yaris T-Sport, small, perfectly formed! :D

As a side note I think of the CTR and the Celica as being in a slightly different catagory to "Hot-Hatch", just not entirely sure what that catagory is!

CTR is in the hot-hatch category and you will find celica in the sports car section. yaris would be something i choose years ago but the power is not enough on that.

scottish-sr said:

wow i am sure the CTR's vtec doesnt shoot up like that, thats pretty dramatic! haha what car is that??:love:

59 bhp is more than enough said:
i dont know what it is but the fact that the toyota has more power per litre just does it for me lol and i look awesome

practically i think i would probably have the civic but aparantly you have to really hammer it to get it to go anywhere but if its for the weekend then thats okay i suppose

yea both cars live on revs and plenty of it too but by no means sluggish in low revs, unless you have been in much more powerful cars then i feel its enough.

i agree that it looks better than CTR, never owned a sporty looking/coupe like car before! keke

CTR very fast on road, but unforgiving ride on rough roads, and very expensive to insure.
As said before needs to be reved to go anywhere as no bottom end power.
Excellent build quality but parts expensive.
My choice would be a compromise the Civic Type S 2.0
160bhp more bottom end, less to insure, 16 inch wheels so better ride, and 5 door so more practicle, bit of a street sleeper as dosent shout what it is so less nickable too and overall not a lot slower in the right hands.
See ive sold one to me for my next family car. lol

''wow i am sure the CTR's vtec doesnt shoot up like that, thats pretty dramatic! haha what car is that??''

from the clocks i would say its that shape civic VTI
de3f326f6b11a2368a348af7e5816fbb.jpg

very nice cars and quick as standard

I vote civic but i am biased (did my apprenticeship with honda uk)

apparently, honda have made 15,000 Vtec units, n not one has come back to them!!! thats reliability but insurance is unreal, group 20, same as a skyline n i no what ide rather have! ;)

R05_Micra said:
apparently, honda have made 15,000 Vtec units, n not one has come back to them!!! thats reliability but insurance is unreal, group 20, same as a skyline n i no what ide rather have! ;)

I think you have missed a few 0's there mate thay have been making VTEC since the mid 70's(Y)

right on the no reported failure's of the VTEC system though :D

stonesie said:
''wow i am sure the CTR's vtec doesnt shoot up like that, thats pretty dramatic! haha what car is that??''

from the clocks i would say its that shape civic VTI
de3f326f6b11a2368a348af7e5816fbb.jpg

very nice cars and quick as standard

I vote civic but i am biased (did my apprenticeship with honda uk)

Now thats a nice lookin car ;)

I'd go CTR, that's my dream next car anyway. although Toyota are built to be really mint quality, my Mrs wants a Celica so hopefully fingers crossed I'll have the best of both worlds one day :D

R05_Micra said:

yeah the v-tec system doesnt fail but apparently the valves etc go "pop" a bit more than people realise.

the ctr's arnt group 20 they are 17 for the latest one and i think 16 for the ek ones

i gotta say i love everything about CTR, its just the mould of the hatchback i want to break away from. sitting in the celica feels fast even when driving slow, the low slung position really was very satisfying.

but then with my money i could get a really good condition CTR, but only a high mileage celica example. looks cost!!

Back