Crystal Headlights - IMPORTANT

James

Chairman
If you do decide to get them, please beware, they DO point the wrong way, they are designed for left hand drive cars and not the UK ones. I know this as the MOT guy failed me for them (yes, a brake light is out too but it would've still failed without that ;)) and his exact words were "It looks you have lights fitted to it designed for the other side of the road" so I have to change them.

So just a word of warning before you shell out £92 for them: You will have to change them before an MOT and if you are pulled for them they are probably NOT road legal.

A bit annoyed now, cos I have to go back home to get my old ones (I'm at my parents - 60 miles away) and fit them before the 31st, before my tax runs out. D'oh!

So there you go, it's official. :(

James.

Edit: For the finishing touch, here it is in writing:

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 2,876

Trung

Founding Member
I'm not suprised since its made for Taiwanese K11s. They have LHD cars there.
I'm sure it can be modded for RHD use.

wilsonian

Ex. Club Member
is it jst the posistion of the bulbs or is it the reflectors too?

although doesn't australia have the new K11's instead of the K12? if so they drive on the LHS so might be worth getting one from there.

Dr Zoidberg

Ex. Club Member
kinda saw this one coming, the rear leds should be ok if they have refelectors i rekon as most beemers have them standard now anyway.

unlucky james :( is there anyway to change the the way the beam points?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
That would require a redesign of the reflector - not really possible.

Ed

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
its only a two minute job to change the headlights anyway so there isnt much of a problem, i can see how it is an annoyance for you james but now that people know they can just switch back at MOT time.

OP
OP
James

James

Chairman
It's certainly not only a 2 minute job, it's easy, but I found it quite time consuming.

Also I can't say I approve of anyone taking them off for the MOT and putting them back on, but it's up to you. I'm either gonna see if I can make them legal or sell them on some European eBay site lol

what you could do is remove the lense you know the upside down in the oven (method for the black head lights) and swap a few bits over minus the parts related to the dip beam. not perfect but your have lights better than standard

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
that's what i plan to do but the only problem is making sure they are water proof but easly done with some gasket sealer..

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
i got a load of normal clear silicone sealent. did the job a treat. if you dont wanna swap the glass you can use these sticky reflectors designed for use in foreign countries. i doubt they would be much good for permanent use.

NeX

Club Member
yea i asked about them and they said that they are only for temp use and they wont get you through an MOT....

same with stick on refelctors on the back...

wilsonian said:
is it jst the posistion of the bulbs or is it the reflectors too?

although doesn't australia have the new K11's instead of the K12? if so they drive on the LHS so might be worth getting one from there.

Nope our headlights are the same as yours. Frosty things made in France which go all yucky over time.

I had crystal headlights for a short period of time. Nice lights, I managed to aim them so they gave a good light pattern but they still flared to the right which is bad. I sold them and went back to originals.

OP
OP
James

James

Chairman
NeX said:
i have fixed mine now so they are legal in the uk!!! will do a guide if anyone needs one ;) James? :p
No use for me atm, won't have the car back for a year, plus the Almera comes with crystal headlights as standard! :D

But definately do a guide!

NeX

Club Member
James said:
No use for me atm, won't have the car back for a year, plus the Almera comes with crystal headlights as standard! :D

But definately do a guide!

A YEAR!!! WTF!! will they check if your car is legal?

i took many photos, its Just down to me putting words to them ;)

it may come with crystal lights as standard but is it a micra? ;)

NeX

Club Member
no point, they are not on the car now because they failed the MOT. it seems like some places will let them pass and some wont.

NeX

Club Member
:S even if it's just the lens you have swapped?

then wouldn't they be legal headlights just with clear glass?

no, cos the beam is created by the glass in the UK lights and the reflectors on the Taiwan lights. so if you use the UK reflectors and the Taiwan glass then there is nothing left to generate the beam pattern.

Bit of an easier solution perhaps... I remeber seeing in Halfords recently that they sell these clear stickers that you apply to your lights if you're gonna be driving in Europe that adjusts the beams and makes them road legal...

Now if they make them for us over here to go over there... then pressumably they make them for our cousins on the continent to come over here?

NeX

Club Member
Bit of an easier solution perhaps... I remeber seeing in Halfords recently that they sell these clear stickers that you apply to your lights if you're gonna be driving in Europe that adjusts the beams and makes them road legal...

Now if they make them for us over here to go over there... then pressumably they make them for our cousins on the continent to come over here?

yea i got a set to convert to the UK when i was on the ferry, but they don't count on a MOT which is the problem. really the lights are too dim anyway to bother anyone, nobody flashed me when i had mine on the car, it was just the MOT who moaned

NeX

Club Member
it didn't work, but from what i understand the RHD units are available now at least there are projector lens versions on ebay which are RHD

wouldnt ave minded a set of those clear ones tbh i like the look of an angel light conv but know not to get the clear ones now lol out comes the vac forming machine and perspex hehe