*Cry* MoT failure

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Its not a good day at all!

Took the incredible ULK in for its MoT today. I was generally happy when I left her, in the back of my head I thought she could fail but only on something minor like Pads or a headlight ect. Course life does'nt go to plan all the time. Picked her up at the end of the day and heres the list;

001 Rear Registration plate deteriorated --- hardly! no way of getting out of buying a new one on that!

002 Front Headlamp aim too low --- cheap & easy fix

003 Front Front position lamp(s) not in good working order (not working) --- could be a right #### to find the dodgy wire ect.

004 Nearside outer rear (next to flexey) Brake pipe excessively corroded

005 Offside outer rear (by flexey) Brake pipe excessively corroded

Brake pipes were the shocker to the system! I was a bit speechles afterwards. The garage didnt give me an egzact figure for all the repairs but they said in the region of a couple of hundred.

Spoke to my co-worker (LEG! Paul) afterwards and he said he does have some spare pipe + all the equiptment to make up some new pipes because hes a bit of a whizz like that. Now heres my biggest problem. I go of to Crete on Sunday night for a week and a bit, at the same time Paul go's on holiday infact i think hes on holiday from Friday onwards. So the last thing I want to do is to ask if he can make some pipes up for me in two nights! I think the technical term is 'im ####ered'. Theres no time to put it in for a re-test meaning thats another 54quid. So what to do? I suppose I have to point out that the car has nearly no re-sale value considering its 16 years old and its covered 160k (and now has no MoT).

Do you guys think I should just call it a day on her? Ive been looking for a super s or an sr for a while now as a project car but ideally I wanted to have the project car of the road so I could work on it in good time. The plan was to use this Micra as a run around until I finished the project car. Feel free to reply and help out on suggestions ect. if you like. I think in general I just needed a good rant :(

couple of hundred...im assuming pounds?, cos thats an insane estimation imo.

1. easy to sort out.
2. easy to sort out.
3. not sure which bits youre referring to...but sounds simple enough to fix.
4 and 5. easy and cheap to do.

Im guessing they are the S bend parts of the rear braking system thats gone...if so they'll take 5mins to make up mate. :)

id say £30 max in total and thats trying to guesstimate southern over charging :D

yep pounds it was. I was shocked! 30 pound you say? I thought number plates were at least that amount? + can I get one made up in the next 2-3 days?

2. easy to sort fair enough.

3. Its been a bit dodgy for a while so how do I go about finding the problem?

4.5 are the 'costly' bits apparently. Only 5 mins? is that for a pro though? Is it best just to take the old ones of and replicate them?

Thanks for the reply solarice.

Only 5 mins? is that for a pro though? Is it best just to take the old ones of and replicate them?

Thanks for the reply solarice.

clamp the flexi,s, cut the pipes off (so you can use a socket or ringspanner) fit the new pipes, then bleed the 2 rear corners :)

Your a genius fair play frank :D

Right I might have a go at getting it done before I go of then.

Suggestions on best (cheapest) places to get number plates made up?

Thanks for the advice Frank.

my rear plate cost me £9...standard font etc.

I measured my old pipes with string, added a little extra just incase then got a garage to make them up while i waited...just make sure you get the correct flare put on the end. :)

Whats the lamp fault...not pass headlight is it? cos it'll probs be corrosion in the fusebox if its anything like that. :)

correct flare? could you use the old fittings? Just weld them on? Apologies if thats a stupid question, weldings not my field of expertise.

All I've got here is Front Front position lamp (s) not in good working order (not working) might have to ring them and check up on that. Ill check the fuses tomorrow, cheers for that.

Anybody know if Halfords is cheap on number plates?

If its the copper part thats gone (which i suspect it is -- cos they always go :D) youve got a flare on the end of the pipe that goes into the rear brake section on the hub. (so it seals properly and lines up with the bolt bit that holds everything in place) its alot more obvious than im describing it lol...trust me.

Not an issue if youre taking your old ones with you though :) ...i only mention it as the garage i had mine made up from was going to flare then differently, as he was going from memory.

correct flare? could you use the old fittings? Just weld them on? Apologies if thats a stupid question, weldings not my field of expertise.

your mate will know what type of flare to form, if you show him the old ones, and the fittings can be re-used if they,re ok :)

thanks go to the two of you, so basically just show him the old pipe and fittings and he should know what to do?

Hes already told me hes got the pipe but does he need anything else?

Just ordered the plate from demon plates, fingers crossed it'l arrive before the end of the week.

Thanks again guys.

nah sounds like your mate, should have everything he needs when its comes to the brake pipes especially if you take your old ones with you. :) (id still make a quick length measurement before you remove them though, just as a backup.)

and no worries, happy to help people save money...after all youre going on holiday, so you need to the pennies :D

thanks go to the two of you, so basically just show him the old pipe and fittings and he should know what to do?

Hes already told me hes got the pipe but does he need anything else?

yes, if you dont butcher the fittings and leave 10mm of pipe sticking out of them (so that he can withdraw the offcut out) then you just need 2 lengths of pipe :)

nah sounds like your mate, should have everything he needs when its comes to the brake pipes especially if you take your old ones with you. (id still make a quick length measurement before you remove them though, just as a backup.)

and no worries, happy to help people save money...after all youre going on holiday, so you need to the pennies

Ive just spoken to him and he seems confident about it, hes bringing his tack to work tomorrow so i'll remove the old ones in the morning for him + ill make a quick measurement. Yer too true, hopefully I cant get this sorted so theres nothing to worry about while im away!

yes, if you dont butcher the fittings and leave 10mm of pipe sticking out of them (so that he can withdraw the offcut out) then you just need 2 lengths of pipe

10mm gotcha, I'll probably wait for him to have a look in the morning so he can decide how he wants to best sort it.

Well thanks to the two of you again. Just one last question, is says on this MoT certificate that if I take the car away and repair it then a partial retest fee can be charged, should I challenge this or is it all legit?

Thanks. Joe

Right just had a quick look at the pipes, turns out its not the small part connecting the flexy to the shoes is the loooong pipe that go's back and around or towards the fuel tank. Any ideas where the next connection is for this pipe?

Thanks.

Those pipes go backwards towards the rear brake bias, its on the passenger rear arch side and sits just on the other side of the rear spring iirc.

Its a box with four pipes coming from it...two going in from front, two coming out going to each rear corner.

Yep spotted it now. Turns out those two pipes have corroded + the smaller ones connecting the flexy to the shoes! Think were going to call it a day on that. Looks to be more then a 5 minute job so hopefully I can get it sorted after my holiday, just means i'll be car-less for a week or two. *cry* again :p

Thanks for your help though guys.

Just gets worse and worse this week does. On the way home tonight the gearbox slipped! Feels like its dangling down at the moment. Luckly was able to yank it into 2nd gear but that was it all the way back, 20mph on a 3 mile journey is'nt nice :( Looks like I might splash a little cash on a cheap run around for a bit. Maybe a 1.0L?

Story of my life :(
Photo0103.jpg

Photo0104.jpg

Been changing the corroded brake pipes this week to get the car ready for its MoT on Friday. Started with the two longer pipes, bit of a #### bending the pipes with your thumbs but got there in the end.
Photo0105.jpg

Thought I may aswell make a start on the two smaller pipes so I rolled the car of the ramps and persued to jack the car up with the axle stand on the sill jack points as I wanted to remove the rear wheels 1 at a time to get at the pipes. Started winding the jack up, hear a cracking noise, wind back down in a hurry and guess what I find??? No points for this one... RUST!! Small patch of it on the underside of the sill right on the end, it's barely on the jack point but its certainly effecting the strength of it. Im amazed that the MoT centre did'nt find it a few weeks back!
Photo0109.jpg
Photo0110.jpg

Firstly is this a definite fail? Ive already said yes to myself but I need a second opinion :(

Thanks guys, Joe.

Hard to tell on the rust issue matey, i guess it the examiners opinion wether its on a certain part of the car, ie seatbelt mounts etc. My car is due for mot and the sills are completley knackered, they have been welded up once already. Might have to break the fiberglass out lol(Y). If i was you id try cover it up with black underseal, or if its too bad, get a little plate welded over it. Dont give up, will be worth it in the end when you have a solid, legal car:p

Flat_out

Yer cheers for the reply matey. Cars booked in with a decent mechanic over the weekend. With any luck he'll repair the sill and take it to the MoT centre within a couple of days. There go's the rest of my wages this month though :(

Fail! Rusted sill on the seat belt point + Brake fluid seeping out from the front nearside caliper! #### take! Cars hopfully booked in to be welded over the weekend :(

Sorry forgot to update, car went for re-test the monday after and passed wwith flying colours :D thanks for all the advice guys.

Back