Cross member

I had a metal rattling when changing gear so had a look under the car today. Looks like the exhaust sheild rattling.

I then had a good look at the cross member and it is rotting at the front passenger corner just under a plastic cover. Not sure if it will fail an mot as not completely gone but it will need replacing eventually.

My question is, is it easier to change the complete front panel or just the cross member and is welding needed either way? Also can the welding be replaced with rivets or would that fail an mot?

If the whole front panel is replaced is it just bolted or as I say welding also? As it is cheaper to just get the cross member.

I am capable of doing the job myself apart from I have no welding gear though my father in law has welding gear for sure so could get it done if needed.

Cheers

Simon.

Cool, thanks for that its very helpful. Do you just leave the car on its wheels or on stands and does the engine need supporting at all? I may just drill and do more bolts if it will pass an mot.

Ok thanks. It looks like a job for a nice sunny day and I have till end of april for mot so plenty of time. I am sure bolts will be fine though as maybe they were welded as it was easier on the production line.

yes the (6) big towing eye bolts tend to come out ok, the rad support brackets and bolts are usually rusted to f### tho :eek:

Just to be clear. There are 8-10 large factory fitted bolts that hold the crossmember to the car as well as all the spot welds.
I did not add extra bolts, just used the existing ones.

Just a final question. Would it be neater to angle grind the spot welds or will it only come off with drilling the welds?

Thanks for all the pointers and links too(Y)

official view of Vosa is that on the K11 the front Xmember is outside the prescribed area so it should be pass and advise only

official view of Vosa is that on the K11 the front Xmember is outside the prescribed area so it should be pass and advise only

Even with the current rust? Though its not completely shot and still feels solid. I may risk an mot then as its a friend of the familys garage and though he would not pass a car that is obviously dodgy he would not rip me off either.

there is loads of info about the K11 on the MOT testers forums do a bit of digging it is a really common question on there

there is loads of info about the K11 on the MOT testers forums do a bit of digging it is a really common question on there

Thanks I will take a look. Though I may as well just replace it before mot. I do need to look into mpg too as its not doing what I think it should at the moment. I may check the throttle body solder job when I give it a full service.

Its only a clear MOT fail if the car has power steering (Excessive corrosion within 30 cms of a steering component)

or if your bonnet doesn't close because its flexing about (Drivers view of the road, bonnet doen't latch securely)

or if your headlamps move about (Headlamp insecure/aim incorrect/likely to dazzle other road users)

Still, as most say, its straightforward/ cheap to change and not a good idea to have a rotten one in the event of an accident/engine and gearbox falling out.

I done a guide here...
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/39325-How-to-replace-your-front-crossmember!

Thanks for that. No power steering on mine and deffo no movement so not completely shot yet. But since its not a tough job and I am gonna do everything else needed I may as well do it as since its only got 31k on clock I intend keeping her for as long as I can.

Back