creaking noise when pulling off/stopping

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
Hi all,

As im just pulling off or just stopping ie in traffic, everytime it creaks on the drivers side. I cant pin point where the noise is comming from, the car feels rigid and the chassis/frame is in good condition. my first and only sus####ion is that the door hinge is creaking. I can put up with it just as long as it doesnt mean anything serious. Cheers ppl :)

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Creaking

Hi all,

As im just pulling off or just stopping ie in traffic, everytime it creaks on the drivers side. I cant pin point where the noise is comming from, the car feels rigid and the chassis/frame is in good condition. my first and only sus####ion is that the door hinge is creaking. I can put up with it just as long as it doesnt mean anything serious. Cheers ppl :)

Check the following:

All suspension bushes
Ball Joints
All Suspension parts

Sounds like either a ball joint is on the way or a bush. You might be advised to check the strutt springs too for possible failure.

Charlotte

OP
OP
Courior

Courior

Thanks for the replies all. no matter how much i bounce the car when its parked it doesnt make the noise. the only other thing it does that might help in solving this is that when there is resistance to the steering, IE stuck in thick mud, or agaisnt a kerb, it makes a knocking noise when i steer in either direction, also when going left at slow to med speeds it sounds like the brakes are rubbing but i think this is connected to the other noises. can anyone tell me for sure what this is? thanks so much in advance!!! :)

OP
OP
Courior

Courior

yeah thats what im thinking it is.. lol the other side joint had no rubber gator on it for about 1000 miles and its running like clockwork.. the protected side is the one that giving me greif lol. ... but then again.. would a cv joint CREAK. its not a clonk and thats it. but a proper creak like when u open an old garage door so to speak.

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
creaking

Hi all,

It's not a CV joint. Way to tell if it's a shock is to press down on the side of the car which creaks let go and see if it comes up and settles if it comes up but continues to bounce it's a shock.

My money is it's either a ball joint or the wishbone bushes it may even be a snapped spring but I doubt it. I'd check the bushes first then ball joint then spring.

Charlotte

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
It's not a CV joint. Way to tell if it's a shock is to press down on the side of the car which creaks let go and see if it comes up and settles if it comes up but continues to bounce it's a shock.

My money is it's either a ball joint or the wishbone bushes it may even be a snapped spring but I doubt it. I'd check the bushes first then ball joint then spring.

Charlotte

It will not be a snapped spring, I've had the pleasure of being in a car at 70mph when a spring has snapped

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
my brother was driving, but it was relatively controlled to a point!

According to the AA Man, we was lucky, as they somtimes fall into the wheel or through the inner arch.

OP
OP
Courior

Courior

righto will do, thanks for the advice :) by "check" you mean jack the car up and then grab hold of said parts and try and recreate the sound.

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
It's not a pleasent thing when springs go. I still suggest it's a bush gone. Shocks will be different. Doubt if it's the diff, that would make an awfull noise. Still check the bushes or ball joints. It's going to be one of those.

Charlotte

OP
OP
Courior

Courior

I tried to make the noise happen while moving (instead of pulling off) at 30 i braked pretty hard then got on the gas again but it didnt make the noise.. then at the next set of lights braking gently as you do just as the car stopped ie 3-0mph it creaked. Its just had an MOT and it flew through!! so im starting to think its something else... arghh its so hard to explain the noise.. im gonna check everything everyone has said as a precaution.. and its deffo not a spring lol. Thanks again all!!!

it sounds like the pads rubbing on the disc, they make that sort of noise sometimes at very low speed, is one wheel warmer then the other after a drive, if so you might have a brake caliper sticking or a piston not returning.

Pete

Site Supporter
ok ok I'll give you a clue, its your wishbone mount. The gold one does exactly the same on its degraded wishbone mount, offside wishbone rear mount has degraded, doesn't happen every time you brake, and gradually gets louder over time.

The knocking you mentioned sounds like a completely unrelated CV joint problem.