Corsa piston build with throttle bodies

pork

Club Member
'Sup!

Haven't got a car yet, but starting this thread to help with the engine stuff before I source the right car

Gunna build a cg13de high comp engine as a side project to the micra/supercharger/mini (can't always get to mates garage, and bored at home)

So picked up a auto block 1.3 today, along with these....

66bcd40511c99157c4a90a647168c4b2.jpg

One of these will be ordered soon, 106 mani.....

009d84c9f4f713d84269ea44bfaa20e9.jpg

I've also picked these up, 2008 Yamaha yzf r6 throttle bodies.......

ea8dceb3a07f34c32f8f7d9be164e7cb.jpg

Which change the inlet runner lengths at certain rpm's (yet to figure out when/ how to do this)

Like this.....

3163f289cb8a4f7c19bcaa24c1bf63ec.jpg

From what I know so far from searches on this site , to use the corsa pistons you need to bore the cylinders to 72.5 mm, and take 3mm of the top of the block

Can/should I still skim the head too?

I'm guessing il have to do something about the chain tension?

What else can I do, wanna get as far involved with n/a tuning as I can, learn some stuff.

I'm gunna be totally rebuilding this engine so any tips on this would be great full as I've never done it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank

Club Member
you have to take a link out of the lower chain and skim the head too eh neil, or else fit a half link if you want to run a bit less c/r

P6050863 (2).jpg

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
What sort of skim you reckon?

Also the throttle bodies have there own injector ports

Beings I'm gunna have to make a inlet mani, should I use these ports and and open up the inlet ports on the head

Or use the micra ports and leave the head alone?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Can't use the sencond bank of injectors.....built into the air box

I was gunna use the micra flange anyway and weld some tubes onto another flange

frank

Club Member
45 deg bends for downdraught quads eh neil, then you dont have problems with the brake servo in the way, is it a short block with crank etc ?

SDC12428.JPG

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I'm going down the k10 route again......maybe a pao if the money is available

So brake servo ain't an issue

Thought all the engine blocks were the same

Don't have a garage, but do have a shed, which il do engine build in, then plonk it in place once I have the car

frank

Club Member
i used cga3 blocks personally mate, they are 1mm bigger bore, the liners will be pretty thin on a cg block at 72.5mm

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I've managed to get the auto version, which is closed deck.....which should be stronger?

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Do I need any special tools for an engine rebuild, or will a 'standard' tool box suffice

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Cool, just got a new press at work!

What's your opinion on polishing ports.....or is it a voodoo science best left to other professionals

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Fair enough

The mani il be Chopin up is the side feed type, beings this is a n/a build, would the Almera injectors be enough

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Gunna bolt the cg10 box to it too, you reckon il need the hybrid clutch?

Australia never got the CGA, if you were building a n/a into the CG13DE block would you be better off raising compression using CG10DE pistons?

Is the increase in displacement worth the thinner bores? (just wondering, I've no opinion on it yet, except I'd choose reliability over performance if it came to it).

Watching with interest...

Oh another related question, what is it that gives an advantage to ITBs? I could understand a straight shot into the engine, but does that mean if you run a plenum and a single air filter that there was no point in fitting ITBs? Or does the proximity of the butterfly to the valve and engine do good things?
<edit> I should have googled...sorry
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Multi-Throttles&A=3049

http://m.carsdirect.com/aftermarket-parts/benefits-of-individual-throttle-bodies

Seems the largest benefit of ITBs when running a plenum/single airfilter is improved throttle response, also multiple butterflies may flow more than a single big one.

Last edited:

frank

Club Member
i agree with the plenum and maf body negating any gains from running quads too, superbikes run a simple airbox and map to get around that issue eh
and yes the 160mm clutch will only handle about 90hp neil

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
The reason for these itb's, is that they are variable length, long at low revs, then short at high revs

Should make for a better torque across all rpm.....from what I can make of it anyway.

Pretty hard to achieve that with a plenum and big TB

(Unless I modified one of those 'bunch of bananas' type manifold, but they are mostly plastic, and bulky)

It was just a question I had rattling around...
I understand the variable length runners, I once thought frank was going to try something similar using a 5efte manifold that switches between long and short runners. Seemed pretty simple to control too..
But cruder than the variable length runners you've got.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
There's a chap on here l_jonez, who's running a cg13 with corsa piston in his mini, says it's been reliably thrashed about for few years now.

These are all cheap parts, the reason I keep playing with these cars/engines
If it all blows up, at least I've taken some knowledge away with the project

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Anyone got a lightened preface lift cg10 flywheel too?

Or know cost involved with making one.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Just received the manifold rubbers, they taper down to an oval like the cut down cg mani....if the spacing was right, I could jist weld this aluminium bar to it, job done

c3eabeaebae114d0767a86eb5f901898.jpg

217318b38037eb22d870f264c5131dc9.jpg

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Has anyone actually fitted the peugeot/Saxo exhaust

25f0f21bc90a00fe97f12c0f69268270.jpg

Is theee much tweeking to be done, or is it a simple case of weld on a new flange

frank

Club Member
you,re best to ask him tbh mate, and check it was an 8v one, iirc he changed the flange too
i would have cut the 4 runners about 1" from the flange i think, and fettled/reset them

I did a Peugeot 206 one for my Mini engine conversion.
It wasn't easy!

I CAD modeled a flange and transition bungs to change the oval port to round.
Cut the old flange off.
Cut a slot at both Y junctions and bent the branches until they fitted over the bungs.
A lot of tacking, checking and then welding. My new flange was like a banana when I had finished so I had to straighten it on the press.

A VW Polo one is also a contender. I used the 206 one as I scored it on eBay for a decent price.

My TIG welding has fairly improved by doing this. Still could do with improvement.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
How's the Mini going?

Matt's K1100 throttle bodies which youve probably seen before.

EA48F333-A65F-4303-85A7-49EB1965C607_zpsqwef5cdl.jpg

Slowly, stuck in a mates garage, and i live miles away and only work on it from time to time, should get back on it in the warmer months

This is a side project, do miss a k10......or possibly a pao

Fujiwara-Ben

Site Supporter
I have no idea sorry, he is on this forum i just need to remember his username, i'll send you a PM with his username in when i can find it haha

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Engine all stripped

7022220b1ce5331f16f528db63b2a01c.jpg

b4abdb114a9739110011f88acbee43a6.jpg

was carful to take note where everything went.......apart from this little bugger!! Where's it go
Was in between the crank and pistons when in found it

7014ae358fb56486d0f0aeb2a7a87bb9.jpg

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Only found one!

Better get searching

So before I sent the block off, it's 3 mm off the top. And bored to 72.5......anything Else?

frank

Club Member
5mm in total if you are using new chains i think mate (3 off the block and 2 off the head) but you could get away with less off if you are using partworn chains tho, and a lot less if you use a half link

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Il be getting a new chain, the all the guides/tensioner were pretty much worn away, might get new bearings and other odds n sods whilst it's apart :)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
What sort of costs did you have for the re bore?

I'm getting £45 a cylinder!