Coolant tank replacement.

Theplastic coolant tank goes like that on all of them. I cut out the brittle part made a metal x across the hole and covered it in fibrwglass matte. Now it has an outer shell hard as a rock

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Theplastic coolant tank goes like that on all of them. I cut out the brittle part made a metal x across the hole and covered it in fibrwglass matte. Now it has an outer shell hard as a rock
Man can you inspire us with a pic maybe? I have the Xact some issue of the OP, mine's a 95 k11 1.0L and am aware of the age but the coolant reservoir is simply going brittle at the top and for anyone not aware of this what happened to me was that after trips pressure would build up, water would somehow overflow/spill off of the reservoir and hit the battery, leading to corroding battery terminals which along time built enough resistance on the outer terminal that the current got sluggish in flowing to the battery until in the morning I wouldn't have enough juice to start! happened 2 times and thaknfully im not the sort that I go buy a whole new battery straight away, unplugged it & charged overnight and it worked like a charm then noticed the corrosion and sanded down all terminals and connections to expose the copper and establish new contact, now it's been a month or so and no battery issues with same battery. But haven't yet addressed the reservoir issue, tbh was looking at buying a reservoir off a breaking micra. Though am doubting it might have same issues since it might be of same age.. any heads up anyone? sorry boss for hijacking your thread..

20141004_193716_zpsc011528f.jpg

20141004_193724_zps2e562f17.jpg

In the above images, the rusty spillage is visible where there's the orangey areas..