Coolant Expansion tank...

Any danger in driving without a cap on it? Just driven 180 miles & lost it somewhere along the way, just wondered if I'm likely to have caused any damage?

Thought as much, this has been asked before but couldn't remember... Must have not put it back on when I topped the coolant up this morning!?

Really wierd though, used half as much fuel coming home then going up... Car was heavier coming back too!? Only difference is went up at night & it was freezing, came home today & it's been a roasting day... This likely to be throttle body needing soldering or is it a sensor or something?

Thought as much, this has been asked before but couldn't remember... Must have not put it back on when I topped the coolant up this morning!?

Really wierd though, used half as much fuel coming home then going up... Car was heavier coming back too!? Only difference is went up at night & it was freezing, came home today & it's been a roasting day... This likely to be throttle body needing soldering or is it a sensor or something?

night driving requires lighting = loads the alternator = robs bhp = press more throttle to maintain speed = burn more fuel

freezing outside ambient air = turn heater up more to heat up and maintain cosy cabin temperature especially during cold start = robs essential heat from engine during cold start = engine spends more time in richer cold mixtures to try heat itself up asap = burn more fuel
(I personally tend to wear warm clothes, keep the heater fully off and drive away soon as I can to allow the engine to heat itself up asap so it'll run at a economical normal mixture much sooner before I consider turning the heater on)

difference in altitude between home and destination will affect the mpg each way. driving to a higher destination will require more energy and fuel.

traffic and number of cool down stops is another influence

Back