Coolant expansion tank question.

Have noticed what looks like sludge at the top of my expansion tank. Would this cause any issues or indicate any? I've drove without any issues 125m round trip and as always drove like a dream. Obviously checked coolant, oil, air etc on set off and return. This is how I noticed it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

You can disconnect the bottle and rinse it out, just pinch the rubber hose away from the radiator - I've seen people use soap and water and a kitchen brush once it's off, and a powerwasher attachment also

If there's any sludge in the coolant system and not just the expansion tank you may have problems. It could block up the coolant holes in the engine causing it to run hot in certain places, it could block the thermostat, or it could block the heatercore and you wouldn't have good heat inside the car

I'd drain it out and see if there's anything noticeable, there are coolant flushes you can buy where you run it around the system for 50 miles and then empty it and put fresh coolant in which may prolong the life of it

There are GL12 (very decent stuff) coolants $2 per liter. Changing coolant isn't exactly novice but we can talk you trough it is easy when you exactly follow up. If you have to do it on the streets a drip tray for a washing machine will do. Further just some wrenches and ratchet to be sure you have everything and if you are paranoid like me, a spare clamp for radiator hose.

046-waterpomp-klaar.jpg

Now I am aware having a jack and bucks is not something people tend to have usual and same goes for wrench and ratchet but I tell you this for two reasons, a. corrosion or dirty coolant is not urgent and b. this is not a bad way to become a diy mechanic :cool:

There are GL12 (very decent stuff) coolants $2 per liter. Changing coolant isn't exactly novice but we can talk you trough it is easy when you exactly follow up. If you have to do it on the streets a drip tray for a washing machine will do. Further just some wrenches and ratchet to be sure you have everything and if you are paranoid like me, a spare clamp for radiator hose.

046-waterpomp-klaar.jpg

Now I am aware having a jack and bucks is not something people tend to have usual and same goes for wrench and ratchet but I tell you this for two reasons, a. corrosion or dirty coolant is not urgent and b. this is not a bad way to become a diy mechanic :cool:

Thank you. I do have a jack. it's the original that came with the car when it was bought new.

I'd really struggle with something like this as a first DIY job. But thank you for the info for future reference.

You can disconnect the bottle and rinse it out, just pinch the rubber hose away from the radiator - I've seen people use soap and water and a kitchen brush once it's off, and a powerwasher attachment also

If there's any sludge in the coolant system and not just the expansion tank you may have problems. It could block up the coolant holes in the engine causing it to run hot in certain places, it could block the thermostat, or it could block the heatercore and you wouldn't have good heat inside the car

I'd drain it out and see if there's anything noticeable, there are coolant flushes you can buy where you run it around the system for 50 miles and then empty it and put fresh coolant in which may prolong the life of it

Thank you. I drove 125m last week and it seemed to be fine. So I will keep this in mind for when I get the radiator system flushed.

Just be aware stands and garage jack like I have come cheap. Look for stands that are certified and not cast iron but welded trough. Be aware some Micra's don't like stands on the rear sils (gives quite unrepearable dents), use it's rear axle in a lower stand setting. Be warned that included jack is for spare tyre *only* and putting your leg under a brake drum or whatever with such a jack is not smart. Also don't let it sit overnight, I can't find the pictures from it but it *does* give up put your car three wheeled non movable. The garage jack I have there is 12 kilograms aluminium costed me 105 coins and a long search. If you use stands, use it's guide pins and shake the car to be confident car can't drop on you (you might die or have permanent injury) and one option is buying a low priced very old garage jack in the size I have there but it will be iron and be 40 kilograms. I reckon 50 coins is fair enough, maybe cheaper, that depends. Also SAFETY FIRST. Those stands welded trough costed me 30 coins (all four and certified) second hand (never used before, no paint scratch). Cast iron stand is not safe, those will give up and let the car slide off. Also a leveled floor is what stands are certified for. On the street like I did and do, m8 be sure it can't trip. Really. You can have it for 135 coins (new) though like I did. This needs some effort. I hope I triggered you. If you need some assistance just ask, just ask. One more time, *don't* use spare tyre jack for other work, make sure car can't tip off (always and ever with what you have there), don't let car sit on spare tyre jack (lookup it's strength, it's a mere 600 kilograms and micra can be like 1200) and use two stands, or four stands, not just one. Be very confident on non leveled roads. If you need a pipe to get something loose, *no body parts under car* ever.

Last edited:
Just be aware stands and garage jack like I have come cheap. Look for stands that are certified and not cast iron but welded trough. Be aware some Micra's don't like stands on the rear sils (gives quite unrepearable dents), use it's rear axle in a lower stand setting. Be warned that included jack is for spare tyre *only* and putting your leg under a brake drum or whatever with such a jack is not smart. Also don't let it sit overnight, I can't find the pictures from it but it *does* give up put your car three wheeled non movable. The garage jack I have there is 12 kilograms aluminium costed me 105 coins and a long search. If you use stands, use it's guide pins and shake the car to be confident car can't drop on you (you might die or have permanent injury) and one option is buying a low priced very old garage jack in the size I have there but it will be iron and be 40 kilograms. I reckon 50 coins is fair enough, maybe cheaper, that depends. Also SAFETY FIRST. Those stands welded trough costed me 30 coins (all four and certified) second hand (never used before, no paint scratch). Cast iron stand is not safe, those will give up and let the car slide off. Also a leveled floor is what stands are certified for. On the street like I did and do, m8 be sure it can't trip. Really. You can have it for 135 coins (new) though like I did. This needs some effort. I hope I triggered you. If you need some assistance just ask, just ask. One more time, *don't* use spare tyre jack for other work, make sure car can't tip off (always and ever with what you have there), don't let car sit on spare tyre jack (lookup it's strength, it's a mere 600 kilograms and micra can be like 1200) and use two stands, or four stands, not just one. Be very confident on non leveled roads. If you need a pipe to get something loose, *no body parts under car* ever.

Thank you for your informed reply and advice, I have herd of some serious injuries when a jack is used alone when working on a car. I would never attempt this especially as I have 0 experience. I will definitely buy stands if I do consider any self maintenance.