Converting To Rear Disc

Stani1029

Club Member
im thinking of going down this route, i have a set of rear calipers. what im looking to find out is the parts list. as far as im aware all i need now are discs, pads, new handbrake cables, brake pipes converted to a banjo fitting and those convertion brackets from ebay?? if someone can help it would be great

thanks again

discs, pads, flexible brake pipes & handbrake cable can be obtained from local factors like Autoparts Partco or Brakes International in rochdale/bolton. would be a safer mount & easier installation if you could find a rear disc axle (with/without abs) from an SR or SLX but are incredibly rare & difficult to find i believe.

you have the calipers but does that also include the hub-caliper carrier? with the caliper guide pins, spring clips that hold the pads and all bolts?

the handbrake cam mechanism in the calipers are prone to drying out and seize which makes the brakes drag, overheat, warp & waste fuel

its never worth it surely ? all the problems paul has had with his, and all the posts every week on aoc about sticking calipers, for what gain ?? fwn

its just something ive never had and while i have rear calipers thought i can do this aslong as theres not much else is needed. i have 2 full calipers with the clips etc. just need the remaining parts. if i needed a rear axle i can go get one as i know a rear disc micra thats away to be scrapped. as for seizing and so on, im planning on stripping down all parts and making sure theres no room for seizure haha if i decide to do this

i suppose it'll cheaper and faster to try convert ur drum axle into disc mounts cos its almost guaranteed that the trailing arm mount bolts are seized tight and would need grinding off = new trailing arms & nut/bolts which arm expensive.

i've resolved all my rear caliper issues now after an extensive trial&error, finding how the brakes work and completely overhauling them. i had to grind n modify my long nose pliers in order to take out the large e-clip inside the caliper bore before the handbrake mechanism could be disassembled. tis a tricky operation but do-able.

if stuck, check my blog for pics of when i stripped my rear calipers. mine used to stick/seize after applying handbrake cos the grease & seals inside the handbrake cam had solidified. works perfectly after overhauling. plus i now no longer have to just buy a new £££ caliper whenever it sticks.

alex, yeah shiny discs definately looks cooler than tiny rusty drums especially if you have alloys. may also perform longer under heavy track abuse or spirited driving.

its never worth it surely ? all the problems paul has had with his, and all the posts every week on aoc about sticking calipers, for what gain ?? fwn

If you do it properly with quality parts instead of buying a scrappy axle and re-building old worn/rusted calipers with new seals etc then there are no problems ;)

pollyp i know the exact clip that your talking about. ive had issues on a different micra with seized handbrake levers. with my calipers i do plan to strip everything down, and refit in perfect working condition. this is nothing for the near future though. its just so i know what i need to get it going.

regarding the brake pipe can i use the flexi pipe from the front of a micra?? cheers

the front pipe is like twice as long as the rear cos it has to deal with suspension travel & steering movement. so although the fittings will match, the front pipe is too long for the rear caliper and may rub on the chassis, get trapped in the spring, cause bending stress on banjo fitting.

i dont get it, why cant the original brake pipe be cut further back to allow for the extra length? and carefully tie/clip the rest of the flex away? also my rear suspension setup is the same as the front, not your typical seperate spring/shock

cheers

here's a pic of the goodridge hose set i got recently
1attachment..jpg

fitted the longer front hose
2attachment..jpg

and how the shorter rear hose fits
3attachment..jpg

but since ur rear suspension is a coilover, yea maybe the same front hose could be used provided the mid section is anchored to the chassis or moving axle and that there's enough hose between the chassis & moving axle to cater for the extremeties of the suspension travel without ripping the hose apart. but i'm not sure about how the bending of the longer hose against the odd angle of the rear caliper/banjo fitting will affect its durability especially when hitting high bumps

ok thanks for that, if i do come around to doing this then this is what ill try to start with. do you know if the ebay brackets are any good? matt humphris sells similar ones so im guessing they work....

ok thanks for that, if i do come around to doing this then this is what ill try to start with. do you know if the ebay brackets are any good? matt humphris sells similar ones so im guessing they work....

let us know which route your going down
thanks

Back