Considering a 1.5dci

wehey

Ex. Club Member
i am being seduced away from my K11 and towards diesel by low tax and high mpg.
The cars I am interested in are the VW Lupo 1.4 tdi and the Micra 1.5dci as they can both be mapped to around the 100hp mark.
I have a few questions:
What are the Micra's like to drive?
Do they suffer with rust like the K11?
I have seen mixed reviews on the 1.5dci engine. Are they reliable and do they suffer from any common problems?
Are tuning parts like lowering springs or coilovers readily available like they are for the Lupo?
Any help is appreciated:)

Last edited:
the dci seems to get a slagging from what i have read wehey, the vag engines seem to have more tuning options
i went for a 1.7 cdti (isuzu/gm) personally, the poke and the mpg of these common rail jobbies is amazing :)

That's pretty much what I heard.
I would really like the Lupo but the tdi version is a rare beast.
100hp, 65mpg and £30 road tax will save me nearly £500 a year!!

I think the k12 as a car on the whole is absolutely fantastic and everyone who has owned one has had no complaints. I'm skeptical about the diesel models though .... we fear what we do not understand, or rather what i dont understand :D plus I've never driven the 1.5 dci, but from a non-engine standpoint I like the k12 a lot. As for tuning parts yes, plenty is available. Not necessarily under the 'K12 section though. The K12 shared the Clio Mk. II's B-platform and so most parts for a 2003-2009 Clio will also fit a K12 of the same or similar age :)

Agree dude, I'm on my second k12 and I absolutely love them. Diesel ones especially ;).

I call it point and squirt. The DCI has oodles of torque and overtaking is great fun. There is a bit of turbo lag but its manageable. She does eat front tyres for breakfast if you do that too much.

Tthere are a couple of basic things to remember about diesel engines, and about turbo engines and now they are turbo-diesel engines.

Diesel is low revving. The nature of what makes it work is the key. Not going to get technical, but I want to die when I hear someone go past 3500 rpm. All you are doing is making noise, wasting fuel and ruining the engine. Up to 3000rpm the internal temps stay at about 600C.Above 3500 rpm they go up to 900C. Try and stay under 3000.
They want to work hard. Change gear early and make the torque do the work.
Brake against the engine as much as possible

TURBO.
That is a word that has scared me away from buying one for years.
Once I learned how they work, it actually made sense and now I love them. Not getting technical, but......
They must get a chance to cool down and slow down. Normal driving will make the compressor spin up to 60 000+ rpm. Hard driving and it can reach 100 000 pm( depending on lots of factors). If you switch the engine off right after revving it, you are cutting off the oil supply from the engine to the turbo's bearings. Once is enough to start you on a very expensive road.
I did that about two months ago, and am seeing the results now.
The impeller side runs off exhaust gas, and it gets red hot. Idle the car for about 30 seconds and let it all calm down. I open the gate, let the car roll down to the parking space and then get out, before switching the engine off.
Modern turbos are very reliable, so look after it and you are safe.

Micra Turbo-diesel
Love the car. Its comfortable, has every bell and whistle I want, except cruise control and is fun to drive.
I don't know much about the customising and modification opportunities you guys have, but in my part of the world there are none. The Micra is not a car they customise here. From that perspective I think the Lupo is easier( although they don't sell them here, I think its called something else.)

Speed is a small issue, you hit 120kph (don't know what that is in English) at just over 3000 rpm, but anything faster than that just invites trouble, you don't want to sit in our jail and wait to explain anything. They have no sense of humour.

Its very comfortable on the open road, I did a 2000 km round trip last weekend, with very little car fatigue.

I am extremely happy with my Micra, and reckon its the best car I have ever owned.

Back