Confused About Alloys!!! Help!!!!

W

winstonerogers

Hi I am new and hope you can all help me,
I have read about 'Bump Stops' and 'Rolling The Rear Arches', basiscally i got 15" Alloys for my Micra K10, front is OK at all times, but when i have 2 people in the front and one in the back then the back starts to rub (and not the good type of rubbing). So my question is what do i do????

Here are the specs of the tyres: 195/50/15
Oh and what the hell do you mean by 'Bump Stops' and 'Rolling The Rear Arches'??? I heard i can get some kind of block to place in the suspension - is this true if so what is it proper name, what size do i need and where can i get it from???!?!??

I would like to take this oppertunity to thank you all in advance!:grinning:

Rolling the arches is basically cutting away the inner lip and extending the arch outwards - giving a wider arch for the wheel to sit in, If done properly it can look quite cool, but most of the time the paint will crack nd the arch can sometimes sag in later life.

Not sure about the block you are on about tho

Daz :alien:

When it comes to the arches, put small cuts all around it and gently bash each section of metal into the arch. If the paint does split, you may want to cover it up in some kind of rust prevention stuff (underbody seal etc)

With regards to bump stops, they look like the yellow thing in the following picture

16.springwork.jpg

You bascially stick it on the shock absorber along with the existing stuff, and it prevents the shock from moving as far as before, stopping wheels rubbing on arches etc.

alan can u do a diy thread for both of these things i think it would be helpful to alot of the members as 15's seem to be the trend at the mo

Arnold those bump stops look a little high, I cut mine down to half that size which made the ride much more comfortable and removed the suspension bounce.

Does your K10 feel more bouncy then it did before? When I first fitted mine it made it much more bouncy, but I gradually cut mine down and got it just right, that was with 195/45/R15's, -30mm PI lowering springs and uprated boge turbo gas shocks and with a full boot install.

This made for a comfortable safe ride and still allowed for the suspension to travel sufficiently without catching on the arches, such as Howard pointed out when using bump stops.

I'm just thinking you could trim yours down a little to improve the ride comfort.

Kev

yo kev, arnold seemed very happy withthe ride comfort when i fitted them, i guess he'll no in time if its really uncomfy :), guess ill have to cut them down! lol im charging the money grabbing sod next time

They're very comfortable! Before the car would just bang on the arches when hitting bumps, now its like jumping on a matress, you move up and down! A far more comfortable ride - yet the suspension is still stiff enough to throw it round corners - and i know my toyos are safe :)

OKAY...but

Speedle said:
where you from btw winston?

Hi, I am from the UK - London.

Anywasy back to business - I heard that I can cut the inside of the arches for £40 and that should solve it, is this true?

And if it is true by doing that won't the panel lose strength??

Thx:k10:

hi chap

get yourself a £16 angle grinder from B&Q and DIY it mate its a chap angle grinder but it does the jobs cut through my rusty suspension bolts like a hot knife through butter :D

Back