Competion Bushes

more suited to a track/tarmac car imo tim, if forest settings are too rigid you start breaking stuff surely ? :eek:

Thats what i was thinking, only I'm getting through a pair of bottom arm bushes each rally and was wondering if there was a way of making them lasting a little longer. I know of a chap who uses them on tarmac and the car is solid as a rock! Thanks for the reply frank.

Tim

you,re not tightening the through bolt while the suspension is jacked up are you tim ?

i'm trying to get the slx one's off to save the rear drum axle and swap it on the sr, they aint budging!
(in relation to this thread):grinning:

i'm trying to get the slx one's off to save the rear drum axle and swap it on the sr, they aint budging!
(in relation to this thread):grinning:

what i mean, is you have lower the suspension before tightening the front wishbone bush else it tears the rubber during use :eek:

you,re not tightening the through bolt while the suspension is jacked up are you tim ?

Nope, car is off the jack when bolts are tightened, we have raised the suspension 1.5-2" at the front for more ground clearance and as seen from some of the photos taken of us it is clear that the wheel travels right up to the wheel arch when on stage, so there is alot of travel, too much maybe?

Standard bushes which have been there for many years are normally a grind off and wreck job. Some people get lucky and the corrosion products inbetween the bush casing and the bolt is not too bad and a large breaker is sometimes enough. However in most cases the friction load between the bolt and the casing is often too high the a bushing rubber will shear, leaving either a drill out job, which doesn't always go to plan and can mean some additional remedial work to the mounting points due to off centre drilling, or for the wishbones, bolts and bushes to be literally cut off the car and replaced in their entirety, (worst case).

We ended up doing the latter and required 2 new front wishbones and all 4 trailing arms to be replaced. We re-machined all the bush casings in 316L and only used A4 80 bolts to stop corrosion issues from lack of regular stripdowns.

It's a shame they only offer 2 bushes for the axle inner trailing arms. I can see why, as the other remaining bushes are of different design but it should be possible. From memory the bush casing protrudes from the trailing arm on each side, which should give enough clearance to make a 2-piece bush work. It would be nice to have a full set of replaceable bushes as the Nismo items are not that great being one piece design and made from carbon steel...

If you want the proper competition bushes suitable for tarmac and forest we stock the full set of Nismo bushes as used by NME the factory team with their cars and the Micra Challenge rally cars.

Matt 07778 838927 or 01865 748000
www.humphrisoxford.co.uk look under the motorsport section

Did my first forest event last week. After the event went to take the wheel off and found lots of movement due to the inner bush was shot. Had a spare bottom arm so just changed the lot. Didn't realise there were bushes available. May get a set for Tarmac use.

I bought the strong-flex bushes a couple of days ago. Will report back once they arrive and are fitted. Micra will be used to have a little fun on tarmac events (Gymkhana's mainly). Not too fond of driving my Celica VVTi around the harsh tarmac anymore, need it to commute.

Back