Common issue with the boot lock but still getting a clicking noise

My wife has a 54 reg micra 5 door and the other day she said that the boot was playing up. The battery in the car then seemed to be completely drained and the car would not start at all.

I looked on the internet and alot of people had said it was the boot lock letting water in, so I managed to get a guide on ebay on how to fix this.

I took the housing off and took the button apart and found there was indeed water in there, so dried it out with the hair dryer.

I have yet to reconnect it to test it, but before I do something strange is making a noise.

When I am in the car and the boot is shut you can hear a ticking noise coming from the front passenger side of the car, this is only happening with the boot shut, as soon as I open the boot the noise stops. Now before I reconnect anything could anyone please tell me urgently what the noise could be.

I dont want to put it all back together and it still be the same. I know the car is going to need a good charge on the battery as it will be pretty dead now, as its been left for around 5 days.

The noise only starts when you shut the boot after about 4 or 5 seconds of the boot being shut. Please can anyone help as its driving me insane?

Thanks
Zimmo

hey coincidentally I just fixed a similar problem on my moms Peugeot 307 tday.

Symptoms
boot latch occasionally kept unlocking unless I really slam the boot down hard,
difficulty struggling to cold start and cold idle.

checked battery in morning and twas 12.4v, hmm abit too low for cold starting.

at the boot, I originally thought the rubber boot stoppers were too thick but they're not adjustable.

OK lets try testing the latch.
close the latch with a screwdriver to simulate the peg, it would lock and then immediately unlock (huh odd).
if I held it locked, I hear the solenoid click and then remain locked. I press the boot switch and usually hear a micro-switch click but this time I didn't (as though it's stuck On), OK lets check the switch.

removed switch assembly and yep it pushes in but won't pop back out.
disassembled it all and found the flimsy switch button/handle bit has a tiny plastic spring molded into it which has gone soft.

Cause
  1. a flimsy plastic spring molded into the boot switch handle, which has weakened/failed over the yrs,
  2. so the handle couldn't Spring back (unless you slam the boot down and the inertia shifted the handle back)
  3. so the micro-switch was constantly On (so when closing the boot gently and the switch was still stuck ON, the latch will constantly try to unlock)
  4. which constantly drained the battery overnight
  5. which made it harder to cold start cos there wasn't enough voltage
Solution
wedge a piece of foam between the switch handle and the switch body to replace the plastic molded spring. now it springs back out and the boot works fine.

Hi I dont think that is the problem. After further investigation the actual clicking noise is coming when the passenger door is open? I just sat in the car with the boot shut and the passenger door shut and heard nothing waiting a while still nothing, opened the passenger door and the ticking/clicking noise started straight away. Anyone have any idea why that happens?

Bearing in the mind the battery is flat?

Out of interest can you point me In the direction of a guide? As my girlfriends micra boot lock is playing silly buggers, filling it with wd40 helps for a bit, but it keeps popping open at random and refusing to lock.

Back