Cold starts?

What can we do to improve the start up of a K10? My little k10 needs help in the morning, just doesn't like to tick over smoothly! And with the chance of the mornings getting colder, no doubt it will get worst.

Thanks

JAM

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Idle speed is too low then if it cant handle wiper and lights. Electrical systems in a k10 are terrible. Make sure all you earth points are clean and check you battery and altenator are working properly. Then go adjusting the idle

OP
OP
jampublic
Idle speed is too low then if it cant handle wiper and lights. Electrical systems in a k10 are terrible. Make sure all you earth points are clean and check you battery and altenator are working properly. Then go adjusting the idle

Magic, maybe a quick service too! Change the oil / coolant & spark plugs might help prepare it for the colder months!

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Put your winter/summer flap on the airbox to winter too. Change the fuel filter too dude, they can get clogged up with crudd over time, check the condition of the rotor arm and dizzy cap too as they can cause poor starting. (Y)

Baz; have you really had problems with ya electrics? Can't believe that man, i've never come across a 10 with bad electric other than the headlamp bulb plugs. Still they have a better track record than the 11's with their throttlebodies, dizzys & melted fuse boxes :laugh:

whats that?

its on the standard air filter just above the exhaust manifold. There is a little lever on the side that diverts the air passed the exhaust manifold this is the "winter setting" clicked back is the summer setting.

can you see whats coming..whats that then!

the spark plug leads all go back to the big plastic distributor (dizzy for short) this plastic cap has two screws or clips that you can undo and look inside. You will see a the rota arm with a metal bit on the end if it's all white it needs a clean. Also look inside the cap you will see 4 metal contacts these may have white bits on that need cleaning off with a screwdriver or wire brush.

:)

(y)

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Put your winter/summer flap on the airbox to winter too. Change the fuel filter too dude, they can get clogged up with crudd over time, check the condition of the rotor arm and dizzy cap too as they can cause poor starting. (Y)

Baz; have you really had problems with ya electrics? Can't believe that man, i've never come across a 10 with bad electric other than the headlamp bulb plugs. Still they have a better track record than the 11's with their throttlebodies, dizzys & melted fuse boxes :laugh:

No problems really just I suppose the headlight wiring is useless and bad earth can make it worse

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
Jam; check out the k10 mechanical & servicing sub-section of the forum. There are lots of useful threads in there, many of them have been there for years so you'll need to change the viewing settings to show all posts. In all honesty i would highly reccomend that you buy a haynes manual and read it from cover to cover before you toutch your car with any tools. So many times there have been people with problems that were caused by trying to do something before learning about it. I highly reccomend getting into some good monthly motoring mags that have reliable tech sections in them. They can often throw up problems that aren't covered by the manuals. (Y)