cold air feed?

Simonh

Midlands Rep
got a k&n panel filter and i was wondering is there anyway to modify the air feed or air box to increase air flow?

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
take off standard pipe and run a bigger pipe to behind the grille, may make a bit of a difference, cold air and all.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
What modded said. It's not doing much use sat behind a coolant tank in terms of direct air flow.

I'm sure I saw one picture on here, of a car, where he had cut a hole in the front bumper, and had the pipe go in there, but that would mean cutting up and therefore possibly screwing up your bumper. Could do it with a dremel tool i guess.

capnmchl

Ex. Club Member
Do those almera boxes need any modification to get em to sit properly in the air intake bit?

Is the hole the same size as the micra one where it connects to the (can't remember the name, bit where air gets taken into the engine).

solarice

Ex. Club Member
we just cut a bigger hole in the air box, replacing the standard intake/resonator pipe with one of those metal flexy jobbies bonded in place...intake pipe ends up about twice as big or so. :)

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
You shouldn't have to worry about it in this weather, lol. Wait till Spring/Summer and worry about it then.

frank

Club Member
Do those almera boxes need any modification to get em to sit properly in the air intake bit?

Is the hole the same size as the micra one where it connects to the (can't remember the name, bit where air gets taken into the engine).

the 1.6 t/b is the same o/d (the metal on the 1.6 t/b is paper thin tho), the cold air pipe needs shortening a bit (and the bracket needs a little twist), and the camcover breather pipe is offset a fair bit, but apart from that, it looks like it grew there :grinning:

aryt what i did with mines was use intercooler piping and ran it right down behind the front bumper and i helped my car out alot :D:grinning:

Josho

Buy & Sell Member
You can drill the airbox. It means more airflow. Or you can do what I did on my brothers Hyundai. Put a proper air intake pipe on the intake and put a cone filter on the end. Then route it to near the grill. Could put a open mouth grill for better effect.

The 1.6 air box has been proven to be one of the best for performance and certainly better than a cone when you have a cold air pipe and using a replacement panel filter.

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
sorry to resurrect a thread from the dead but anyone whose done this mod, with the almera airbox - what sort of piping did you use as a cold air feed? any pics or places where you got it from would be really appreciated!

finally found a way to get the airbox mounted lol

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
nice one frank.. thats actually quite tidy. unfortunately all the local scrappies near me have shut down :/ had to look very high and low for the airbox but can try and get some induction pipes too...

infact just remembered your just down the road to me, is there any scrap yards near you worth me ringing up?

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
sorry to bring up this thread, but could i possibly see some pics of how people have routed their cold air feeds? (showing route through engine bay too please?)

so far mine's like this.. only place the piping would fit :/

intake.jpg

oh and i dont fancy cutting up my bumper.. ideally, i'd have it behind/in the front grill or bumper grill

cheers :)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
gathered lol Shame I havent Got A K11 Otherwise I Would Give You The Answer Now! Well I Have My K10 CAI Through My bumper And Double Meshed It To Stop Crap Going In To The Standard AirPan,
Good Luck! :grinning: